Culture Ministry proposes holidays from July 4th to 9th for Songkran celebrations

snoop1130

10 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Inter-province travel was not introduced till well into the Covid situation started and people were still doing it.

It's got nothing to do with workers rights, to make it easier for you to realise how stupid it is i'll use this as an example:

Suppose Covid happed Nov / Dec / Jan, do you think there would be any western ( or other ) country in the world that would have Xmas and NY in June or July? That's how stupid it is!

Moving the Thai new year from April to July is stupid ?

Western countries would have most likely cancelled public holidays than postponed but alas they did not so your point has no relevance.

• Sad 1

This is ludicrous. It's all about money, nothing else matters. This will only invite more road deaths and domestic violence. OK...who gives a damn, as long as it's time off and getting wasted... splash, splash. Candy for the masses...

Edited by jlwilliamsjr18
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, couchpotato said:

So schools have been shut down for basically 3 months, then they open for 3 days and get shutdown again for another week. Plus many workers will be unpaid for this amazing holiday, after being on food handouts for 2-3 months.

Plus of course the hundreds that will die on the roads.. some of these politicans are absolute morons.

What do you mean 'some'!!!!!.....????????????????????????????????

• Like 1

The Minister for Culture appears to be the former Mayor of Pattaya, and his brother is the current Mayor of Pattaya. What a coincidence ! Pattaya has the longest, wettest, biggest money-making 10 long days of idiotic behaviour in Thailand.  Whatever dates the Minister proposes for Songkran, it will likely be an excuse for a couple of weeks of water - throwing, etc, and generating as much income as possible for Pattaya. I doubt that this has anything to do with culture. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Don Mega said:

No I get 5 weeks annual leave so am not really fussed either way but with temporary closures many no longer have any annual leave left (those that still have jobs) so for them to go visit their sons, daughter,mothers and fathers they will need to take time off work unpaid.... surely covid has penalised them enough already so why rub salt into the wounds ?

yep, it's the equivalent of westerners being told they're not allowed to celebrate Christmas and New Year, with the added bonus of being made to work and have alcohol banned

it's not just about a 'water fight' too

12 hours ago, couchpotato said:

So schools have been shut down for basically 3 months, then they open for 3 days and get shutdown again for another week. Plus many workers will be unpaid for this amazing holiday, after being on food handouts for 2-3 months.

Plus of course the hundreds that will die on the roads.. some of these politicans are absolute morons.

optimist !

I'm against having Songkran anytime regardless of the virus but I guess since American is looting, rioting, killing each other like wild animals even with the Virus I throw my hands up and say knock yourself out, enjoy and cross our fingers.????

Special Holiday Package:

Flight From Western World:                 2019: 20,000 baht 2020: 40,000 baht

Special Covid-19 Med Cert:                  2019: 0                 2020: 3500 baht

$100K US Covid Insurance                   2019: 0                 2020: 6500 baht

14 Day Songkran Special Quarantine     2019: 0                 2020: 1200 baht per night (includes free leaking roof to simulate water spray)

Water Resistant Surgical Mask             2019: 0                 2020: 100 baht

Sounds like a great idea.....where do I sign up ?

Yes, there is no need for this holiday this year. However if they decide it should happen it should be done the 1st - 5th. Then schools can open from Monday the 6th.  

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand’s Ministry of Culture will propose, to the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA), the declaration of special public holidays, from July 4th to 9th, for belated Songkran celebrations, which were postponed from mid-April due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Is this the Ministry of culture or Ministry of "SILLY WALKS"........LOL As has been pointed out by many of the above people this is an absolutely STUPID IDEA!!!! people can ill afford further holidays once again this is just another distraction from what the government is not doing to ease the lockdown of the population, it should also be named "Water Fight" as it will have absolutely nothing to do with the Songkran festival which has been and gone, and why five days the country cannot afford to waste so much water when the farmers are going without for their crops it is an absolutely childish way of thinking.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, tonray said:

Special Holiday Package:

Flight From Western World:                 2019: 20,000 baht 2020: 40,000 baht

Special Covid-19 Med Cert:                  2019: 0                 2020: 3500 baht

$100K US Covid Insurance                   2019: 0                 2020: 6500 baht

14 Day Songkran Special Quarantine     2019: 0                 2020: 1200 baht per night (includes free leaking roof to simulate water spray)

Water Resistant Surgical Mask             2019: 0                 2020: 100 baht

Sounds like a great idea.....where do I sign up ?

Unlike most here that seem to think the Thai's should give up their National Holidays and just cop it on the chin anyone one flying in from a foreign country would be doing it voluntarily so your holiday package (with figures plucked from the sky) is purely their decision and theirs alone.

Not much point as bars will be shut probably , there is hardly anyone here and most of the Thais are broke from not working or only receiving 5000bht last few months so won’t be able to buy booze or food to celebrate !

13 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

Is this the Ministry of culture or Ministry of "SILLY WALKS"........LOL As has been pointed out by many of the above people this is an absolutely STUPID IDEA!!!! people can ill afford further holidays

For most it will be the cost a bus fare or a tank of fuel in the car and they will go home and spend time with loved ones.

1 minute ago, ronaldo0 said:

Not much point as bars will be shut probably , there is hardly anyone here and most of the Thais are broke from not working or only receiving 5000bht last few months so won’t be able to buy booze or food to celebrate !

Do you really think Songkran revolves around the bar scene ?

The mind boggles.

13 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Just after getting the schools reopened.  Plonkers!

12 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

Why?????? Just Why!!!!!!! ???????

I get the point of view, but gotta remember that there are plenty of us who have been working the whole time and missed a pretty long holiday of the year. I don't care for the the water fights or drunken celebrations, but would rather not miss my days off. Of course easier would be to just add the missed days as annual leave, but I doubt many employers (including mine) would do that. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Why should the Thai people get over it and move on ?

Not all enjoy having 4 to 5 weeks annual leave (10 days is typical for the average worker) per year and factor in Public Holiday's to travel home to spend time with family and friends.

Most of them have been back in the village for the last 2 months.

Many celebrated songkran on April 13th 14th and 15th.

We had the traditional ceremony on the drive with family and friends. Flower petals sprinkled, feet washed and water sprinkled on heads. Then we had a hosepipe fight with neighbours followed by kids charging round the street with their supersoakers. Who says songkran was cancelled?

Won't be doing it again until next year.

• Like 2