Culture Ministry proposes holidays from July 4th to 9th for Songkran celebrations

snoop1130

Just now, Don Mega said:

Ahhh fair enough, I missed that part he was pushing the entertainment sector to re-open, I wonder how much of his interests rely on visiting foreigners cause there wont be many of them at the beginning of July unless his businesses are aimed at the Chinese and Indians.

There'll be no Chinese or Indians here for some time. Covid is running rampant in India. What custom they will get is from the Bangkok weekenders and expats. Same in Bang Saen.

Just now, thailien8 said:

Songkran (except in Pattaya) has traditionally been 3 days, but now this guy is proposing to make it last 6 days?

And what about the drought that is still a big problem in much of the country;  does he want to finish off our precious water supply?

Typically Saturdays are work days with Sunday a day off bringing the total to 5 consecutive days off (Sunday + 3 days songkran + 1 day religious day)

6 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

There'll be no Chinese or Indians here for some time. Covid is running rampant in India. What custom they will get is from the Bangkok weekenders and expats. Same in Bang Saen.

How many BKK weekenders get on the cans in walking street ?

Edited by Don Mega

Culture Minister Itthiphol Khunpluem? 

Well, I missed that posting. This little ray of sunshine from the family running Chonburi got "unseated"  from his mayorship of Pattaya by the junta people some six years ago. Now, the very same men in green, meanwhile democratically elected, made sure that Itthiphol "Lek" Khunpluem now re-surfaced as culture minister? Wonders never seize. 

Moving a calendar-driven festival like Songkran is like moving Thanksgiving Day to Easter; in addition to this the private industry will be delighted to pay all those remaining workers with almost empty order books another few days ....... for not working. Good luck! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Khun Paul said:

Plus of course SCHOOLS are back , or maybe this just another way of keeping the masses UNEDUCATED ! 

My son's school has promised us that there will be no holidays between July 1st and Christmas, in order to catch up. Even talking about running some Saturday catch up sessions. If it happens, I would hope that they don't observe it and it would be school as normal.

Just now, Phil McCaverty said:

Don't shoot the messenger. 555

Nah not shooting anyone, If the BKK crowd will be the target market until the foreigners start flying back in he must have other business interests other than gogo bars.

4 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Well, I missed that posting. This little ray of sunshine from the family running Chonburi got "unseated"  from his mayorship of Pattaya by the junta people some six years ago. Now, the very same men in green, meanwhile democratically elected, made sure that Itthiphol "Lek" Khunpluem now re-surfaced as culture minister? Wonders never seize. 

He wasn't unseated he was moved up to a ministerial post and his brother took over as mayor of Pattaya.

OK, Thai people are "owed" the holiday days they missed in April.  Agreed, I'd be <deleted> if my government "stole" the days from me.

But;

1. Give people a couple of months back at work to earn some money to celebrate with.
  2. I have trouble visualising Songkran without bars, how is that going to work exactly?  I hate the water/dirt throwing, a lot of people love it, but I struggle to see how it could be fun sober.

Just now, Don Mega said:

Nah not shooting anyone, If the BKK crowd will be the target market until the foreigners start flying back in he must have other business interests other than gogo bars.

Not sure he has any gogo bars as such. His interests are mainly in the property that's rented by entertainment venues.

I guess his attitude is that a bit of cashback is better than no cashback. Worth a try as he would say. He has zero interest in people, he only concerns himself with his bank balance.

3 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Moving the Thai new year from April to July is stupid ?

Western countries would have most likely cancelled public holidays than postponed but alas they did not so your point has no relevance.

You're comparing apples to oranges, Songkran is the biggest event of the thai calender not merely a 'public holiday' so your comparison has no relevance.

Just now, HashBrownHarry said:

You're comparing apples to oranges, Songkran is the biggest event of the thai calender not merely a 'public holiday' so your comparison has no relevance.

Yeah the biggest event on the Calendar that normally happens in April, how does moving it to July change that ?

I know its a "what if" but if Covid hit in October/November would the western world have postponed Christmas and then go onto cancel it ?............. I doubt it so why should Thailand, amazing the amount of miserable foreigners on this forum moaning about this, amusingly I would say few reside in Thailand !!

• Like 1

Well I did say on a  other article Thailands tourist Board would be looking to announce new holidays or extend existing ones 

Not that there will be many foreign  tourists around

And would have thought not to many Thais with money to spend 

But this is Thailand 

2 minutes ago, rocketdave said:

The bars and clubs are all closed in Pattaya and even if they were open there is nobody about to go to them so it won't be much of a party!

Yeah cause the National holiday known as Songkran is all about the party scene in Pattaya ain't it !!

What a ridiculous idea. There is a water shortage and most people have been out of work for over 3 months. They have nothing to celebrate and would prefer to be at work rather than getting soaked on the streets.  The Thai New Year has gone so what is this ridiculous holiday for?

• Like 2

I understand folks in the U.S. have heard about this innovation and we're now going to have the 4th of July on October 4th and Thanksgiving the day before Christmas.  (Christmas may be moved to next February, though).

• Like 1