BANGKOK
snoop1130

Culture Ministry proposes holidays from July 4th to 9th for Songkran celebrations

Excellent , exactly what country needs after being on 3 months holiday . 

2 minutes ago, BestB said:

Excellent , exactly what country needs after being on 3 months holiday . 

You really think the country has been on a 3 month holiday ?

"Give em chocolate, keep em quiet"........  Let em play water games ........ forget about losing your job, all your money, god knows what else, it's all ok we can play "Water games"........   Seriously, have the inmates taken charge ? 

• Like 2

Stupid idea, how can Thais celebrate after this, with no money?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Moving the Thai new year from April to July is stupid ?

Western countries would have most likely cancelled public holidays than postponed but alas they did not so your point has no relevance.

You're comparing apples to oranges, Songkran is the biggest event of the thai calender not merely a 'public holiday' so your comparison has no relevance.

The bars and clubs are all closed in Pattaya and even if they were open there is nobody about to go to them so it won't be much of a party!

• Like 2

Just now, HashBrownHarry said:

You're comparing apples to oranges, Songkran is the biggest event of the thai calender not merely a 'public holiday' so your comparison has no relevance.

Yeah the biggest event on the Calendar that normally happens in April, how does moving it to July change that ?

I know its a "what if" but if Covid hit in October/November would the western world have postponed Christmas and then go onto cancel it ?............. I doubt it so why should Thailand, amazing the amount of miserable foreigners on this forum moaning about this, amusingly I would say few reside in Thailand !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fred110 said:

14 days in quarantine, the tourists will miss the fun.

Songkran is a Thai holiday, so I'd expect Thai tourists.........

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Don Mega said:

what dates in the remainder of the year do you feel they should schedule the postponed public holidays ?

None. Cancel. No need. 

Well I did say on a  other article Thailands tourist Board would be looking to announce new holidays or extend existing ones 

Not that there will be many foreign  tourists around

And would have thought not to many Thais with money to spend 

But this is Thailand 

2 minutes ago, rocketdave said:

The bars and clubs are all closed in Pattaya and even if they were open there is nobody about to go to them so it won't be much of a party!

Yeah cause the National holiday known as Songkran is all about the party scene in Pattaya ain't it !!

What a ridiculous idea. There is a water shortage and most people have been out of work for over 3 months. They have nothing to celebrate and would prefer to be at work rather than getting soaked on the streets.  The Thai New Year has gone so what is this ridiculous holiday for?

• Like 2

I understand folks in the U.S. have heard about this innovation and we're now going to have the 4th of July on October 4th and Thanksgiving the day before Christmas.  (Christmas may be moved to next February, though).

• Like 1