China's Wuhan finds no new COVID cases, 300 asymptomatics in tests

snoop1130

China's Wuhan finds no new COVID cases, 300 asymptomatics in tests

2020-06-02T102748Z_2_LYNXMPEG510R2_RTROPTP_3_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-CHINA-WUHAN-TESTING.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Residents wearing face masks line up for nucleic acid testings at a residential compound in Wuhan, the Chinese city hit hardest by the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, Hubei province, China May 17, 2020. REUTERS/Aly Song

BEIJING (Reuters) - The Chinese city of Wuhan, where the novel coronavirus outbreak first emerged, found no new cases of COVID-19 and 300 asymptomatic carriers after testing most of its 11 million residents, city officials said on Tuesday.

Authorities launched the ambitious, city-wide testing campaign on May 14, and reached 9.9 million people, after a cluster of new cases raised fears of a second wave of infections.

But they found no new cases of COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus in the campaign, that ran until June 1, officials told reporters in a briefing.

They said the asymptomatic carriers had been found not to be infectious, with no traces of virus detected on items used by the 300 people, such as masks, toothbrushes and phones, or on door handles and elevator buttons they touched.

China does not count asymptomatic carriers - people who are infected with the virus but do not exhibit symptoms of the disease - as confirmed cases.

The central city, capital of Hubei province, was placed under a lockdown on Jan. 23. It was lifted on April 8.

It was the hardest hit of any Chinese city and accounts for the majority of the 4,634 deaths and total of 83,022 infections reported in mainland China.

The cost of the city-wide testing effort was about 900 million yuan ($126 million).

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-06-02

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

China wouldn't tell us even if they did find cases:

Damning new report here with leaked recordings from WHO

https://apnews.com/3c061794970661042b18d5aeaaed9fae

And if they did and they did? What difference would it make in Thailand? What difference would it make to you?

Why wouldn't they?

I've ignored your link by the way, its a fake.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

How can you have no new cases but have 300 asymptomatic cases?

it is either than the virus is mutating  to a less virulent asymptomatic strain, or that the test is picking up residual virus signals.  

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sirineou said:

How can you have no new cases but have 300 asymptomatic cases? //

Seems to be people who catched the virus "long ago", had no symptoms, and are now no more infected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Traubert said:

And if they did and they did? What difference would it make in Thailand? What difference would it make to you?

Why wouldn't they?

I've ignored your link by the way, its a fake.

your welcome, thanks for your helpful comments based on not reading the link with direct quotes from Dr Ryan and many others from WHO. It also talks about the first case in Thailand so yes its very relevant. Oh yea you said its fake LOL

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pattaya46 said:

Seems to be people who catched the virus "long ago", had no symptoms, and are now no more infected.

It is a confusing article.

I am not sure if the above is the case because they say: "China does not count asymptomatic carriers - people who are infected with the virus but do not exhibit symptoms of the disease - as confirmed cases. "

So assume that the these asymptomatic cases have tested positive for currently being infected but show no symptoms. and I am wondering if the virus is mutating to a less  virulent asymptomatic strain or if they get false positives from  residual components of the virus still present in people who had it in the past. Something similar to when people who had it and recovered tested positive again and people were worrying about reinfection where they were simply getting false positives from  echoes of past infection. 

Anyway, I don't really  know, I am simply speculating. 

5 minutes ago, sirineou said:

It is a confusing article.

I am not sure if the above is the case because they say: "China does not count asymptomatic carriers - people who are infected with the virus but do not exhibit symptoms of the disease - as confirmed cases. "

So assume that the these asymptomatic cases have tested positive for currently being infected but show no symptoms. and I am wondering if the virus is mutating to a less  virulent asymptomatic strain or if they get false positives from  residual components of the virus still present in people who had it in the past. Something similar to when people who had it and recovered tested positive again and people were worrying about reinfection where they were simply getting false positives from  echoes of past infection. 

Anyway, I don't really  know, I am simply speculating. 

This is from the BBC

China does not count asymptomatic cases in its official tally of confirmed infections until they show symptoms. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-52613138

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

your welcome, thanks for your helpful comments based on not reading the link with direct quotes from Dr Ryan and many others from WHO. It also talks about the first case in Thailand so yes its very relevant. Oh yea you said its fake LOL

Its doctored vox pops taken out of context. Too easy.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, smedly said:

they are infected

From the article "They said the asymptomatic carriers had been found not to be infectious, with no traces of virus detected on items used by the 300 people, such as masks, toothbrushes and phones, or on door handles and elevator buttons they touched." So not a risk to infect others. No need for concern.

12 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Its doctored vox pops taken out of context. Too easy.

Thats a really good analysis, thanks. I must read the Global Times and more Chinese state media to get the real deal without the vox pops out of context.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, smedly said:

they are infected

A 'case' is defined as someone who has symptoms and therefore these 300 do not meet the inclusion criteria to become cases. 

Your point should have been the need to isolate these folk and protect the rest of Wuhan from them......sorry about the need to limit freedoms, but there is no human right to infect others with your virus.

11 hours ago, ukrules said:

I don't believe a word of it.

I don't think the CCP are whether you do or don't. Time will tell and Chinese results have matched up very well with forecasts for the past few months....unlike say the UK or US who's aid the virus was a hoax and sat on their hands making no preparations.

13 hours ago, sirineou said:

How can you have no new cases but have 300 asymptomatic cases?

it is either than the virus is mutating  to a less virulent asymptomatic strain, or that the test is picking up residual virus signals.  

See my note to 'vermin' above. Nice name btw.

32 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

A 'case' is defined as someone who has symptoms and therefore these 300 do not meet the inclusion criteria to become cases. 

Your point should have been the need to isolate these folk and protect the rest of Wuhan from them......sorry about the need to limit freedoms, but there is no human right to infect others with your virus.

they are infected