Jump to content
BANGKOK
Thaivisa Web Content Team

British couple: Dangerous Florida scorpion found in our bananas

Recommended Posts

An apple a day will keep the doctor away, but a banana a day might bring you scorpions.

 

A couple from England was shocked to discover a scorpion native to Florida hiding in a bunch of bananas purchased from a local grocery store.

 

While the boyfriend and girlfriend said they initially thought the animal was dead, they realized it was alive when it started to scurry across their bedroom floor.

 

Matt Fry and his girlfriend, Monika Vasyl, were unpacking their groceries when they discovered the scorpion, The Sun reported. Fry said he was able to trap it in a jar before anyone was hurt.

 

I realized it was a scorpion straight away and was a bit freaked out but it wasn't moving at first, so I figured maybe it had died,” Fry told The Sun.

 

Monika really didn't like it so I put it in a jar and made a bit of a home for it in the spare bedroom and gave it some food just in case. I even named it Simon the Scorpion and was planning on keeping it until it got out and shot across the floor. I decided I didn't want it as a pet after that.”

 

They said they eventually learned the animal was a Florida bark scorpion, which has a sting that can pack a powerful punch.

 

FULL ARTICLE

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That can happen when fruits etc are grown in nature. Stick with processed cheese if fear too great.

Maybe think of the scorpion as a "free prize" pet you won.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

On 6/2/2020 at 7:16 AM, Thaivisa Web Content Team said:

...they initially thought the animal was dead, they realized it was alive when it started to scurry across their bedroom floor.

 

Matt Fry and his girlfriend, Monika Vasyl, were unpacking their groceries when they discovered the scorpion...

They were unpacking their groceries in the bedroom?  😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2020 at 7:16 PM, Thaivisa Web Content Team said:

A couple from England was shocked to discover a scorpion native to Florida hiding in a bunch of bananas purchased from a local grocery store.

When I was a child my father came back from a banana packaging plant with a large spider which he got someone to mount in a small glass fronted box and gave to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

 

 

They were unpacking their groceries in the bedroom?  😄

Bedsit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

 

 

They were unpacking their groceries in the bedroom?  😄

Probably a mis-translation. More likely he was unpacking his lunchbox.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2020 at 1:16 PM, Thaivisa Web Content Team said:

 

Monika really didn't like it so I put it in a jar and made a bit of a home for it in the spare bedroom and gave it some food just in case.

This guy is sharp. He knew right away the preferred diet of a scorpion. Burger or pizza?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wpcoe said:

 

 

They were unpacking their groceries in the bedroom?  😄

As most folks normally do :cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wpcoe said:

 

 

They were unpacking their groceries in the bedroom?  😄

It's a small place - went there for a beetle BBQ once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Terrible reporting ! Did this happen in Timbuktu or Thailand ?

Big bet is on Florida!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

When I was a child my father came back from a banana packaging plant with a large spider which he got someone to mount in a small glass fronted box and gave to me. 

Aw.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

If my wife found it then it would be in the wok in about thirty seconds. !!!

Sauteed Simon then. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wpcoe said:

 

 

They were unpacking their groceries in the bedroom?  😄

 Just the bananas 😉

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...