Jump to content
BANGKOK

Recommended Posts

Does anyone know the law around the following..?

 

If I was staying in Thailand on a marriage visa and had also obtained a work permit, would I be able to teach English online. I don’t have a bachelors degree. 
 

I am aware the money isn’t great and the work can be mind numbing but I also have other income sources.

 

Many thanks ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To get the work permit you would need to be working for a Thai company or partnership that has 2 to 4 employees.

To make it totally legal the business would have to be invoicing for your teaching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you only took on students located outside Thailand, you would be operating as a digital nomad. While not strictly legal, this is tolerated and (unless policies change) you can do this safely without a work permit. However, as soon as a single student is inside Thailand, you are no longer viewed as a digital nomad, and being without a work permit in such a situation would be risky. As @ubonjoe has written, you must have a Thai employer before you can get a work permit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Extremely hard to get an online teaching job right now :the providers are flooded with applications. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a work permit for online teaching from the labor office in Songkhla last June, and just renewed it last week. I teach online with a Japanese company, where 80% of students are Japanese, and a few are Thais. I didn't do any fancy footwork or bribe anyone to get the permit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, troysantos said:

I got a work permit for online teaching from the labor office in Songkhla last June, and just renewed it last week. I teach online with a Japanese company, where 80% of students are Japanese, and a few are Thais. I didn't do any fancy footwork or bribe anyone to get the permit. 

@troysantos Thanks for that. 


Do you have a degree And TEFL?

I aim to start my TEFL this week but am not totally sure what course is best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, BritTim said:

If you only took on students located outside Thailand, you would be operating as a digital nomad. While not strictly legal, this is tolerated and (unless policies change) you can do this safely without a work permit. However, as soon as a single student is inside Thailand, you are no longer viewed as a digital nomad, and being without a work permit in such a situation would be risky. As @ubonjoe has written, you must have a Thai employer before you can get a work permit.

I disagree. The crux is where YOU are residing when you do the work. If you work online whilst living in Thailand then you need a work permit, irrespective of where the online classroom or students are located. It's the same with online trading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Card said:

I disagree. The crux is where YOU are residing when you do the work. If you work online whilst living in Thailand then you need a work permit, irrespective of where the online classroom or students are located. It's the same with online trading.

The only people prosecuted for this have been those running an "office type" offshore business - i.e. a bunch of people in one place engaged in work.  No one has been prosecuted as an individual engaged in offshore business from their home/condo, of which I am aware. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2020 at 4:02 PM, HerbyJFlash said:

Do you have a degree And TEFL?

I have a degree and a TESOL, not a TEFL, but for sure the labor office has no idea of what either are, nor would they care. Good luck and hope you find good work 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...