Extension of stay based on 10 million baht investment with ED-visa and FCD fixed deposit

Hello,
I had read the information on the Thai Immigration website (www.immigration.go.th/content/service_5) regarding the one-year extension of stay based on an investment of 10 million baht and have a few questions.

1) Has anyone with an ED visa got a one-year extension of stay based on an investment of 10 million baht? Is it possible with a Non-Immigration ED class visa to cancel an extension based on education and get an extension based on investment? Technically it would be Non-Immigration visa ED type with an extension of stay based on the investment.
2) Does Foreign currency fixed deposits are qualify? Or Thai baht only?

In theory, and by law, when your extension on ANY type of Non-Immigrant stay ends, you can apply for another non-immigrant type stay without leaving/returning on a new visa entry OR doing any sort of "change of visa" / "conversion" process (the latter required if on a tourist-entry).  All that should matter, is that you qualify for the new type of permitted-stay. 

That said, some offices will adamantly refuse to do this from certain types to some other types, and will inisist you must go out to a consulate and return on a different type.  As this "discretion" (i.e. "use our agent-partner to avoid the trip") has nothing to do with actual written-rules, the only way to find out is to try.

I believe the critical factor in qualifying is that you must have you investment in a Thai-owned bank.  There is more discussion here on this extension-type, and on that tangent:

• Thanks 1