Is it possible to use Google Pay in thailand stores?

Hi,

I am used to using Google Pay using my phone's NFC , but in Thailand do they have similar thing? Whenever I ask they either say no or I have to scan some QR code, but there is no such option in Google Pay.

I want to be able to use my CC from overseas, but using my phone instead of bringing with me.

Thanks in advance.

Nope, Google Pay not supported anywhere in Thailand, nor is Apple Pay.  Only the Chinese versions like Alipay and a smaller presence with Samsung Pay (Thailand cards only).  There are various prepaid "wallets" that can be used, QR codes and such, but I am pretty sure there is no way to use your phone to pay with an overseas credit card

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Just tried Google pay with my Singaporean card at starbucks in the central department store and it worked just fine. Used my galaxy note 10+.

Thai cards are not (yet) supported for contactless payments on Google pay tho. 

To use the supported Thai issued cards, Samsung pay NFC works in many places, and MST works everywhere in thailand where MST (card magnetic swipe, not insert) is used, just like any debit/credit card does. 

MST is a samsung devices' (most new phones and the Gear S3 watch, US model) exclusive feature and being phased out since 2021 phone models. 

Edited by dr_lucas

If you have a working card on google pay, that is visa or mastercard, it should work on any contactless reader around the world that is visa/mastercard compatible. In other words, if you can tap an international visa, you can likely use your phone as well.

• 2 years later...

Has anyone withdrawn cash from ATM in Thailand using Google Pay?

Also, is anyone familiar with shops/banks/other that sell prepaid (reloadable) Visa/Mastercard that you can top up with your bank card?