Ten Little Indians: How Many of Us are Still left Standing in Thailand?

Still here....Our travel plans are in peril, but, if we had gone at our usual time we might have been stuck in limbo....Possibly with the wife being forced to return while I couldn't as a worse case scenario....

All in all, here is a good, safe place to be....Minimal inconveniences, no dining out, movies, massages, etc.

Have put more time in the kitchen and, on the bright side, we're exercising more.....

• Like 2

Not a lot has changed for me ,the wife has not been able to do her marathons ,although this morning for the first time ,the girls from the club did their first practice together ,mind you only 14.7 kms lol,  we were just walking locally ,but now i am back on the walking machine . apart from that not a lot of difference , we went shopping from the start ,but did not go out for meals ,so a lot more home cooking . ,managed to catch up with a load of series that i had downloaded ,and the wife has been out in the garden more planting stuff.

I snuck out of LOS mid march after one cancellation, and am typing from east coast as the news is on

Riots and a pandemic mess, I got back on st pattys day and had I known this collapse was coming I would have stayed there, as hindsight is 20-20.....been pretty much on lockdown since I got back and it sucks

Came home to work and got the email today the job I was set up for is not there, so here we are...blah

So I can still add my snark here and am trying to get back to LOS asap but not if I have to jump thru 100 hoops and quarantine, etc....but may hope to get back before our idiot president kills us all....

Save me a mama cup and a happy ending foot massage....solly mista you pay now..you finish!!!

Why would anyone want to leave Thailand, ok some don't like the current government here.

I certainly don't like the nobs running Australia at present, as many from the US don't like trump.

What do we do, return home and bitch about life or stay here and enjoy what ever years we have left.

I don't know about others but I am happy to stay here and try to get along as best I can

• Like 2

I would have not minded too much if my wife and I got stuck in Australia. The Australian Government has done a fine job with everything. Still, I knew once the airports closed down, there would be no way back to my home in Thailand for a long period of time so the wife and I made the choice to stay here. Nothing for me has changed apart form temperature checks and signing in at shops and wearing a mask. Life just goes on and I spend time reading this forum most days to catch up on news and gossip. I still read most days, watch a little TV, paint, listen to audiobooks and online shop. Most of my friends chose to stay here and only a few went home and now they are worried about jumping through hoops to get back. Sure the world has changed and things are a mess it seems but for many of us life just goes on and that is the way it is meant to be. Just move with the times or winds of change.

20 hours ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

The virus has been truly devastating for so many, and this is no joke.

you know it really depends on who you are. 

no problems here in Hua Hin. spent a lot of time around the house cleaning and organizing. 

got Netflix for the first time and got $1200 from Trump.    

no one i know has had or died from the virus and I have yet to hear any friends say they know some one who has died.  

had to postpone a few trips around Thailand for a few months. looks like I will be traveling soon.

it raining here now. my cats don't like it.   

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Most retired expats still here, would have been daft to leave as Thailand appeared a safer place to sit out the virus. It's more likely any that left is because of the increasing costs here, poor exchange rate, their dwindling savings and businesses going down the toilet

Too true.  Any business owner even before covid would echo the above,a steady outpouring of ex-pats,guys here for years packed up and gone,and as things stand in home countries never to be replaced

Thought often of wasted years coming up, not too bad years before,same-same thing day in,day out.

Spain looks like a likely destination to finally put my boots up

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Haha, am American, had no choice in the matter though.  Am appalled by many Americans attitudes and some from other countries, yet no human behavior or attitude surprises me anymore.  (yet am not sure what a tin-hat nutter is?)

I find there are many humorous posts, philosophical posts, and personal stories on here that are entertaining and well written for the most part, but again, I am an American????  

Image result for tin hat nutter meme

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 1:52 PM, simon43 said:

Writing talent??!!

I'm maybe one of the longest-serving members of this forum (member #174).  In all the years of my membership, I have found very (VERY) few forum members who I would consider to have a writing talent.  (I won't embarrass them by naming them, but currently I recognize only ONE member as having decent writing talent.... and it certainly is not me).

For the most part, posts are simply bar-stool talk, tin-hat nutters, political extremists, wimpy snowflakes, extremist religious loonies, ex-SAS liars, health-freaks, marketeers,  those who are unable to recognise sarcasm when it smacks them in the mouth, and of course Americans......

... and that's fine, because that's what this forum is for...

Oh ,dont worry ,i dont mind you naming me, i know that most think i have a wonderful writing talent, not that i would ever boast ,that is except for the few that are always either"confused" or "sad" at my posts ,you know who you are boys.????

• Haha 1

On a general thought on the topic.

Many of us don't leave Thailand in as much as we become semi detached from the place.

I think, anecdotally, that a lot of us that lived in Thailand for many years, probably still have homes in Thailand, but for a myriad of reasons decided it was time to go home.

I had decided as I grew older, it's not a place for old men, my Thai son was in the US and wasn't coming back, my wife wanted to restart her career which had stalled in Thailand, so it was time.

It's hard to generalize what any individual or couple decides to do, it's very person specific

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Seriously, are you really from Rapid?

Yes, grew up there, and it's my current mailing residence. I read you're up in chapel valley. I miss fly fishing on Rapid Creek.