Thailand - Australia bubble

It has been mentioned. A few weeks back, one of the Thai DPM's floated the idea of 'air bridges' from countries with low infection rates to bits of Thailand with similar low infection rates. They may have even started trialing it with domestic tourism this month.

AFAIK, there's not a lot to do in Bueng Kan, Nan, Khampaeng Phet, Pichit, Chainat, Singburi, Ang Thong, Trat and Ranong.

• Haha 1

I too am in Australia. me and the wife came back March 25th.

No idea what will happen re travel to Thailand in the near future.

I did read what I thought was one of the many conspiracy theories about the virus, also in March.

It said that Europe/USA and North asia, i.e Russia will get hit big time. Which it did.

Following this South America would cop it.....look at Brazil now. Then Africa.....who knows what is happening there.

After that South Asia...India is basically a basket case now,completely overwhelmed. Then, critically, the prediction was for SEA Asia to get hit big time. No idea why his should happen as they have already been exposed. Maybe coming into the cooler weather after the first wave?

Not my theory, make of it what you will.

Dont commit to any airfares for a while mate.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Like 1

I can't see Aust. and NZ allowing Thailand in to a travel bubble this year. The problem is one of trust and ultimately at a government level the govts. of Aust. and NZ just don't trust the Thais. And lets 'face it, at some stage Thailand is going to throw the doors open and allow anyone from anywhere in because they want the money visitors bring which increases risks for all countries which allow visitors from Thailand....and that is what makes me think Aussies and Kiwis won't be travelling to Thailand this calendar year.

23 hours ago, NanLaew said:

It has been mentioned. A few weeks back, one of the Thai DPM's floated the idea of 'air bridges' from countries with low infection rates to bits of Thailand with similar low infection rates. They may have even started trialing it with domestic tourism this month.

AFAIK, there's not a lot to do in Bueng Kan, Nan, Khampaeng Phet, Pichit, Chainat, Singburi, Ang Thong, Trat and Ranong.

Really Not a lot to do in Trat ?? with Thailand's second largest island ???? and the smaller ones off of that pristine beaches abound, you need to check your facts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think people are getting carried away with this travel bubble talk.

International travel (between most countries, excluding hotspots) will resume sooner than later (I think Q4 this year) but there will be a number of control measures which will/may likely include quarantining (at your expense) and testing (either at your departure point and/or on arrival).

The guy suggesting no domestic travel within Oz this year I don't get the logic there...looking like September at latest

• Like 1

Even if flights would start to become available by the next few month or even before Xmas - I would still wait for another couple of months to see what the effects were - after arrival in LOS...... better to be safe - than SORRY

On 6/3/2020 at 11:05 PM, CygnusX1 said:

Christmas 2021 or Christmas 2022?

Seriously though, I desperately hope you’re right. I’ve mentally prepared myself for not being able to get back to my Thai condo from Australia until December 2022 at the very earliest. State borders within Australia might not even be open before Christmas this year. I wouldn’t even want to return to Thailand until mandatory mask wearing outside in the fresh air was dropped anyway.

I need to get back to Chiang Mai from Australia.

Airlines making regular flights is of course a major point, but let's not forget:

- Need to get, and show at check-in, permission to leave Australia.  

- Need to have several documents to enter Thailand including Thai embassy stamped 'fit to fly' document and medical reports including accepted full COVID test.

- Permission to re-enter Australia, and need to quarantine for 14 days on arrival in Australia in Thailand for 14 days at own expense.

- Need to have medical reports & negative Covid 19 test report to re-enter Australia, and it seems to me (just my assumption) Australia would have concerns about passengers entering Australia (including Australian citizens) from Thailand.

- Need to quarantine on arrival in Australia.

My PR based re-entry into Thailand stamp expires 3rd week of November (but under Thai immigration order of 17 April 2020 can be extended for 1 year). Right now I'm guessing/hoping a lot of the above will be reduced or gone by late November 2020. But all wait and see of course. 

On 6/4/2020 at 6:55 AM, mstevens said:

I can't see Aust. and NZ allowing Thailand in to a travel bubble this year. The problem is one of trust and ultimately at a government level the govts. of Aust. and NZ just don't trust the Thais. And lets 'face it, at some stage Thailand is going to throw the doors open and allow anyone from anywhere in because they want the money visitors bring which increases risks for all countries which allow visitors from Thailand....and that is what makes me think Aussies and Kiwis won't be travelling to Thailand this calendar year.

We may be able to as long as we quarantine on return. If Air NZ doesn't start carrying passengers they may as well close down as an international airline ( other than freight ).

14 minutes ago, Lazybones said:

Jetstar are offering regular flights mel to bnk from 1st aug.

Mate until they actually have flights go I would be very hesitant paying for any airfares, with anyone. Once they have your money it's 'theirs' and they are unlikely to give it back if past experience is anything to go by.... 

• Like 1