BANGKOK
webfact

No confirmation on when international tourists can return to Thailand: PM

1 hour ago, Trolleen said:

Before I thought to buy elite visa  when thai baht was low and Norwegian money hight. Lucky did not do it. Pay 20.000.000 for 20 years and stay under restrictions in phuket krabi samui. Good choice? 

It's just a glorified tourist visa. I have it. To their credit, they added 6 months to the validity due to covid.

The minimum for any sort of security would be permanent residence. Not available without working and paying taxes.

10 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Sounds like they are thinking smartly and trying to do the right thing here.

Thais thinking smartly??

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

Meaning that the Thai tourism industry will continue to be in the crapper and millions who depends on it for their survival will continue to suffer and lose their life's works and investments witch will take years to recover from, way to go PM...

Just like anywhere else in the world. Except Sweden, UK  of course. But nobody wants to go there anyway.

8 hours ago, Enzian said:

And by the same token, it looks like I am locked IN Thailand for practically the foreseeable future.

Rather be here than back in the states

Do not mix with politics. If people die is the government problem. Not my or yours!!!!!!!!.

Stay and enjoy o y your work and life. But now is more likely to late.

7 hours ago, JCP108 said:

With or without a method, they will remove the 14-day quarantine for Chinese travelers or I will eat my hat. 

I hope its not a helmet. No, more likely to be a tinfoil hat. Happy eating!

Hey Bangkok Barry and Dr Jack - Your comments on Hungarian/Oz Immigration are interesting, to me at least. My brother (now retired) was a senior public servant in Centrelink (the dole office in Oz) and was sent to Hungary at Oz govt. expense (yes we taxpayers paid for it) to set up their dole/welfare system, some years ago just before his retirement. He was there for a year. He told me that it was a fantastic place (who knew) and, that their immigration system in particular seemed to be geared to helping people and attracting foreign retirees, but was really painless to go through. Their social welfare system is based on the Oz model, so they have the dole for those really in need (and a few bludgers too I guess). Sounds like the total opposite of LOS ha ha ! I also note that the report says that 'both the Oz and NZ govt. have made overtures to the Thais to open up for visitors from both places ASAP". Useless for me/us if there are no airlines flying in or out of Oz. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

The should keep arrivals under quarantine at least until the end of this year

Sod that. 2 weeks quarantine is doable, 6 months, no way!

36 minutes ago, bigupandchill said:

People die at a relatively manageable rate across the whole country from car/motorbike accidents. Covid has the potential to overwhelm any local medical infrastructure with many people requiring ventilation, intensive care etc if is allowed to spread unchecked. The two things are not the same.  

You shouldn't have to explain that but thank you for trying.