Pattaya: City reveals plans for Walking Street - major "mall" style makeover for Thailand's "world class resort"

webfact

8 hours ago, webfact said:

He sent the engineers away to come up with some revised designs ahead of the next discussion on the issue. 

All the comments I've read, and I admit I didn't go past page one, ignore the little fact above. Translation: nothing at all is going to happen. As usual.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Washington Square

Ah, really sucked the life out of that end of Suk when they tore it down. Replaced by Dinosaur Park. Who comes to BKK for dinosaurs? Not too many Thais interested at 1000 baht entry. Thus it went down as well. Now going up in its place is the Emsphere, supposedly "The Vibe of Bangkok". Just what it needs, another shopping mall.

The Queen Park Plaza on Soi 22 filled the nightlife void there a bit, a smaller, dirtier Washington Square, which I last heard will also be going down soon for another hotel. The ladies there once told me the Marriott across the soi wasn't helping them much, its mostly Chinese clientele not feeling too generous, having already spent so much on their rooms.

Er, I'm in the Patts forum. Back on topic. The point is, the scenery's always changing in the LOS, they just keep throwing whatever at it until it sticks.

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme
On topic

1 hour ago, randy723 said:

now all the farang will leave Thailand and go to Fields Ave. where they have a great walking street. and do not have a dictator who knows nothing about running a country

And share the same 300 women with the 3000 Americans that are there.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Ah, really sucked the life out of that end of Suk when they tore it down. Replaced by Dinosaur Park. Who comes to BKK for dinosaurs? Not too many Thais interested at 1000 baht entry. Thus it went down as well. Now going up in its place is the Emsphere, supposedly "The Vibe of Bangkok". Just what it needs, another shopping mall.

The Queen Park Plaza on Soi 22 filled the nightlife void there a bit, a smaller, dirtier Washington Square, which I last heard will also be going down soon for another hotel. The ladies there once told me the Marriott across the soi wasn't helping them much, its mostly Chinese clientele not feeling too generous, having already spent so much on their rooms.

End of the year Queens plaza will close and relocating to soi 7, some new bars were already opening in soi 7 pre covid situation.

City leaders will use tax money to spruce up the area so landlords can hike rents. What they need is a day/night makeover. Those Walking Street clubs sit empty all day when they could be used for traditional dance shows (@300b a head; please forgive the chrome poles) for all those Chinese groups uselessly marching through the area when all the lights are off. Then flip the switch and bring on the go-go girls after dark.

Happy hour could be go-go girls doing Thai dance. Quite sexy and the girls actually dance.

of course the're no street walkers in sight..the majority of them have had to go back to their poor families and help out there...you paint such a glossy, storybook picture..once again pathetic irresponsible and uncaring journalism.

If they take out the bars from walking street, the tourist will not come. If you take away the bars period, nobody will come. This is the country of bars. What else would a person want to come here for other than golf, which don’t too many Chinese play. Korean yes but their number want make a different. 

I do agree Walking street need a new face lift, but if the bars are being done away with, it will be a waste of money invested. Pattaya is known for GoGo bars and Disco’s. Now is not the time to change it. Where would all the country uneducated girls and ladyboy’s go for work? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, petermik said:

The Chinese are the world leaders in ping pong......:clap2:

What has ping pong got to do with cr@pping on the kerbside, in the back seat of taxis, peeing on the airport train, not to mention their behaviour in "all you can eat" restaurants? ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geisha said:

So a lot of you think that Pattaya , as it is today , can only exist and thrive because of the sex trade ?? Think again. 

Yep

whithout the sex scene, which has given a brand name to the city and drived

millions of tourists in the area since 40 years, Pattaya today should be as boring

and underveloped as Hua Hin.

You much be new here, why do you think all the actual big condominiums projects are not build in the Ban Saray area for example, where the beach and the sea are far much beautiful?

Think again...

Edited by kingofthemountain

42 minutes ago, Traubert said:

And share the same 300 women with the 3000 Americans that are there.

Times must of changed or an off night. I went there once in 2006.

A few Koreans not many westerners, every bar entered I was empty and I was

completely thronged by squads of 18-20 year old CRO's.

4 hours ago, ehs818 said:

Leave it to the city officials to modify something that was working, into something that is overpriced, un interesting, and not in the flavor of this city. Hub of hubs and 'good' ideas? This town in on it's last legs. Adding another overpriced area for 'families' will do nothing to bring back tourism. It will however, line pockets of the well connected.

and we all know that is all that matters as far as the bigwigs are concerned.

3 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Sanitized and clean, no go go bars, but lots of seafood restaurants and buffets for the esteemed guests from the PRC...

Can you imagine a Chinese flag person leading a line people into a buffet in walking street?? It sure wouldn't last long.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Times must of changed or an off night. I went there once in 2006.

A few Koreans not many westerners, every bar entered I was empty and I was

completely thronged by squads of 18-20 year old CRO's.

14 years ago. Yes it's changed. New mayor changed it.

9 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Was  about time. But in my opinion this should go with a full redeployment of Soi 6. And probably a few others areas as well. Sex workers should move up market, a couple of thousand of them should be enough for a family resort. Some affluent happy husbands and dads might get the need.

Bed time Garndpa. It's people just like you that want to destroy poor Thai families. You should catch a flight home in your private jet. One way

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Yep

whithout the sex scene, which has given a brand name to the city and drived

millions of tourists in the area since 40 years, Pattaya today should be as boring

and underveloped as Hua Hin.

You much be new here, why do you think all the actual big condominiums projects are not build in the Ban Saray area for example, where the beach and the sea are far much beautiful?

Think again...

You might think again a bit, too.  Most of the new condos you mentioned are being built far from Walking Street and the 'sex scene'.  One of the latest announced, Arom Wongamat, will be a huge 50 story plus super luxury project with both hotel and condos right on Wong Amat Beach.  It will join Zire, Northpoint, The Cove, Riviera Wong Amat, Wong Amat Tower, The Palm, and Baan Plai Haad among other upscale projects that have been built there in the past few years.  Ditto for lots of big projects in Jomtien and other areas, as well.  

Cape Dara will be joined by Grande Centre Point 2, as well as a number of new boutique hotels like Cosi and LK Emerald Beach that have gone in recently.  Mytt Beach Hotel, a big, new hotel in north Pattaya, has the Vertical Ballroom which can seat 1000 people for events like weddings and large meetings.  The Ozo Hotel, yet another new hotel in north Pattaya, has a very visible children's play area by the pool as you drive by it.  Most of this new development is not being powered by the 'sex scene'.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

i like the mayors comment about the unique  Walking St smell...  <deleted>, Vomit , booze, Sweat. tobacco, fried food, kebabs . perfume , incense , and decaying stinking rubbish and rancid Fat  ,,,    maybe they should bottle it and sell it online

Edited by liddelljohn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, liddelljohn said:

i like the mayors comment about the unique  deleted St smell...  <deleted>, Vomit , booze, Sweat. tobacco, fried food, kebabs . perfume , incense , and decaying stinking rubbish and rancid Fat  ,,,    maybe they should bottle it and sell it online

Yeah great isn’t it makes me reminisce about my childhood.

Heh folks, I've got an idea for the new Patts' planners. Last time I was in Singapore before the C-19 crisis, I won big $ at the races on an ex-Aussie horse I had previously sold to a local Chinese gent. Later on in the evening, a taxi driver took me to a shopping mall that closes at 1700, only to open again at 2000 (8pm) as a place known locally as 'four floors of whores.' A sort of dual purpose development. Have to think outside the square though - I doubt a Thai planner could do that ?

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

no more girly bars or sleezy clubs ....  no more drunken farang fighting bouncers ...

It's a family resort according to the mayor.

True soon they will be having us wash our hands before dipping into the sticky rice basket.

Edited by Silent Number

10 hours ago, redwood1 said:

If walking street is going to be a family destination they need to make the ping-pong shows family friendly too...

Cant believe I never saw one of those!