Pattaya: City reveals plans for Walking Street - major "mall" style makeover for Thailand's "world class resort"

webfact

Bang Bang Bang !   Somebody please take the gun off these loons or they'll have no feet left.....  Another mind numbing idea coming from the ministry of madness...... Just like the sterilization of Khao sarn road where nobody will be going to ....Again, ever.......  There's an old saying in Engineering....... "If it's working leave it alone".......   I wonder if the signs will be in Chinese ?   "Who flung Dungs tea shop"....... "Gwilo go home".... 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Though he seemed to concur that the area must be fit for day as well as nightlife use.

So why not have a large food court or restaurants open within the mall for evening nightime with late opening.

Great idea, Pattaya and it's seedy Walking Street was on the skids anyway, time to re-model.

13 hours ago, geisha said:

So a lot of you think that Pattaya , as it is today , can only exist and thrive because of the sex trade ?? Think again. 

That doesn't make sense.... as it is today is very much with the sex trade. Without it, it is not as it is today. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Oldie said:

The whole filthy nightlife of the Walking Street should be moved to a different location. Nightlife doesn't need a very expensive beach location. In addition many buildings seem to be not legal anyway as often discussed. 

No body asks you to visit!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, webfact said:

some critics online said it resembled just another mall.

Just what Thailand needs - another mall.  I don't believe tourists come here with shopping on their mind at least for the type of shopping offered in a mall.

He stressed that any makeover must ensure that the "special smell and flavor" of Walking Street must be maintained.

That smell and flavour can draw you further than gunpowder can blow you... 

Pattaya: City reveals plans for Walking Street - major "mall" style makeover for Thailand's "world class resort"

Here we are again, firstly Pattaya is not a "World Class Resort" too many dangers for this to be true, lack of safety on the roads & crossings, sidewalks either in poor condition or none existing, smelly drains coupled with flooding after a heavy rain shower, Rats & pigeons infesting the beach & beach road one could go on & on......

The mayor Sontaya Khunpluem commented that Walking Street has to be "fit for purpose" and not adversely affect livelihoods.

He stressed that any makeover must ensure that the "special smell and flavor" of Walking Street must be maintained.

Did have a little giggle at this one the way it is worded but basically he is on the right track, if at all possible the atmosphere of the area needs to be maintained where ever possible, if they make it squeaky clean it will kill the place, balancing the ambiance will not be an easy task but at least he is thinking about it.

On 6/3/2020 at 10:11 AM, Oldie said:

Correct. If you ask tourists why they come to Thailand their first answer will be to the see the Walking Street...

Is that so? Got some proof? You need to understand most people are not into hookers and sleaze........

• Like 1

Very bad idea. Why should people come from Europe or other western countries to see something they already have in their own countries? Pattay beauty is the way it is now. The moment they change it all the charms are gone as well as all the tourists.

Can't keep Walking Street with the same, "special smell and flavor", and turn it into, "fit for families".  Get a grip, it is adult nightly entertainment, not disneyland!

The city officials can't have their cake and eat it too!  Either relocate these businesses with their present clients and rehab the place to whatever theme they desire or not, but to instantly convert it to a family friendly place with not bode well with the present business owners.  Just sayin'

21 hours ago, Stew41 said:

Is that so? Got some proof? You need to understand most people are not into hookers and sleaze........

I'm hoping he was being sarcastic--always risky on Thai-Visa.  But, I agree with you.

• Haha 1

On 6/3/2020 at 2:47 PM, ChipButty said:

So tourist can participate?

Tourist women have always been welcome to join in on the stage. One I saw put the Thai pole shufflers to shame for her enthusiasm.

I see that there is no mention of the buildings on the seaward side being illegal.

On 6/3/2020 at 2:14 PM, webfact said:

Would that be the smell from the sewage plant at the entrance to W S?

It's worth remembering that when W S opened it was more along the lines of Bugis Street with tables and chairs for drinking at with girls wandering about. The masses walking came later.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Tourist women have always been welcome to join in on the stage. 

??? That would be walkout time for me. There should be a law against it. Actually I don't know what most of these farang-women are doing here. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, morrobay said:

??? That would be walkout time for me. There should be a law against it. Actually I don't know what most of these farang-women are doing here. 

I’ve seen a few foreign female chubsters  get on the podiums and flap around the pole. It reminds me of why I want away from my homeland. 

The girls smile and carry on as if they are ok with it but I’m sure they are thinking the same as most of the guys in there. 

• Haha 1

Some guys take their girlfriends to Pattaya as part of their “beach” holiday. Probably eyeing up what the want to do the following year once they have ditched her. 

Why, I have seen some good looking girls get up there and put a good show on? Not so keen on the drunk idiot men doing it though! 

I would hope the average fat Western woman would not have the nerve. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

Some guys take their girlfriends to Pattaya as part of their “beach” holiday. Probably eyeing up what the want to do the following year once they have ditched her. 

Take the girlfriend for holiday in Pattaya is the same as

go to the Oktoberfest in Munich carrying a pack of singha beer

1 hour ago, kingofthemountain said:

Take the girlfriend for holiday in Pattaya is the same as

go to the Oktoberfest in Munich carrying a pack of singha beer

Or taking a bucket of sand to the desert. 

Its just  a cover for some. Get the girlfriend drunk and pop out for a “walk “  

• Haha 1

On 6/3/2020 at 9:14 AM, webfact said:

The best joke is hidden in the head line: 

…world class resort… 555

• Haha 1