Pattaya: City reveals plans for Walking Street - major "mall" style makeover for Thailand's "world class resort"

webfact

On 6/3/2020 at 4:20 AM, fruitman said:

Well here's some pictures of examples...mind you these are cheaper, closer to home and much better than anything in asia so far.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=promenade+italy&iax=images&ia=images

Thanks for the pics. link.

I have been to a few of those in the Lombardy region,  Bellagio ( arguably the most beautiful promenade in the area )

Gets crowded at week ends but can still walk about with no problem.Lovely town.Como itself, Brunate ( beautiful views of Como from there and some excellent walking trails) Cernobbio,  etc.

Heading back there later this year. To a small town just outside Como.

As to Walking Street, used to go there many years ago but lost interest in it and generally avoid it.

Some friends like going out there.

Each to their own.

Personally I like the funkiness. Going to an antiseptic mall is boring. Will patrons have to wear a suit and tie? 555

I liked the funkiness of Khao San too.

It's like a Disney version of a nefarious experience. If you want tame, go home.

Not that I have ever been there, but Skyfall is on the same side as Lucifer!!  555

On 6/3/2020 at 5:20 AM, fruitman said:

Well here's some pictures of examples...mind you these are cheaper, closer to home and much better than anything in asia so far.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=promenade+italy&iax=images&ia=images

No need to travel so far,

you can find very similar promenade near Pattaya : (SilverLake area)

23348551_3pJofw_GiKSER-8TigjQ7Jv3wF-twnn

• Like 1

If was thinking of a vision for Pattaya's Walking Street it would be something along the lines of the cyberpunk Night City. Here's one of my favourite images:

569058461_images(2).jpeg.f6276c31c9ff33840414e53feb17e7b4.jpeg

Not that I'm into ladyboys, but it all adds to the flavour as they say. A sanitized Walking Street is about as appetising as a sanitized Khao San. As a UK guy there's no way I'd travel half way around the world to visit a mall, or anything resembling a mall. I want a bit of exotica, after wasting leather on the gritty paving stones and the blasted English drizzle waking fever in my bones. After 11 months and 2 weeks, ain't I allowed my 2 weeks in paradise. Not that this has anything to do with me, as I live here, in a quite comfortable and conventional suburb, thank you very much. It's always nice to know though, that the exciting stuff is a stone's throw away. A bit like my time in Brighton, never went to the beach, but it was good to know it was there.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 4:36 AM, Oldie said:

The whole filthy nightlife of the Walking Street should be moved to a different location. Nightlife doesn't need a very expensive beach location. In addition many buildings seem to be not legal anyway as often discussed. 

Walking street is built on the whole filthy nightlife and Pattaya beachfront is not particularly expensive beach location. Most of the smells you get in the street come from the beach and sea. The whole area smells like rats dying in the sewers. Places like Pattaya are built around the nightlife, the filthy and the less-filthy. All around the world they have tried to convert their places to "family"-friendly resorts and all end up with drunk youngsters making the place unloved by families. It will fill up with the worst scammers, and every business will just rip-off every tourists. 

On 6/3/2020 at 10:15 AM, bkk6060 said:

It is some of the most valuable real estate in the country that is not utilized properly.

I really really like the idea.

Get the bulldozers running tomorrow.

But, should happen around the same time the monorail is completed.

Yeah, turn it all into one big, sterile mall. Put a hospital in the middle of it, with bright white lights and daily sterilization for good measure.

I also like the idea of higher prices. Wife can then sell the houses on profit, after we're out of here. Whoever likes concrete jails can have it.

Edited by DrTuner

On 6/12/2020 at 5:27 AM, kingofthemountain said:

Guys please have a look at this monstrosity

i hope this horrible monorail in front of the beach will never become a reality

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/06/11/pattaya-city-hall-holds-presentation-on-the-pattaya-of-the-future-vision-monorail-cruise-ship-terminal-walking-street-modernization/

Given the complete failure of everything the city council touches I doubt it will ever happen. They have the unenviable record of 100% disaster. They built Bali Hi pier and it's falling apart, they built the marina and it fell apart, they destroyed a perfectly good beach promenade and built a horrid shadeless bike track that keeps collapsing. They built a sewage plant right outside the most popular tourist attraction in Pattaya. They couldn't even stop the roads flooding in a normal rain during the wet season.

Can't stop traffic jams. Can't even require an acceptable building by Bali Hi, so have a decrepit building slowly falling apart. Can't stop the beach washing away. The only things that don't fall apart in Pattaya are built by private enterprise.

• Like 1