All hands to the pumps! Trash blamed as residential area suffers worst flooding in 20 years

webfact

All hands to the pumps! Trash blamed as residential area suffers worst flooding in 20 years

1pm.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

Thai media reported that the Kheha Muang Mai residential area in Bang Plee south east of Bangkok was turned into a sea yesterday after heavy storms.

Residents said it was the worst they could remember in 20 years. 

02-255-1024x576.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

Nowhere escaped the flooding as deputy head of the Bang Sao Thong administration Anan Tangniannatchai ordered all hands to the pumps - 15 to be precise - to try and clear the water. 

A large build-up of trash in the drains has been blamed for the devastation. 

03-239-1024x576.jpg

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-06-03

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Why not phone the orbortor in your area?

Here just phone and later the same day, yellow truck will come and take things like that away, no charge, just a bottle of beer each to the 2 men on the truck, easy.

Does not work that way in a gated village. Ex asked around a lot how to dispose of stuff after the flooding and nobody really had an answer. But that was 2011 maybe things changed.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Does not work that way in a gated village. Ex asked around a lot how to dispose of stuff after the flooding and nobody really had an answer. But that was 2011 maybe things changed.

Question is, have you asked the orbortors office?

Do not take anybodies word for it, get the wife pickup the phone and ask, i did it worked.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

Question is, have you asked the orbortors office?

Do not take anybodies word for it, get the wife pickup the phone and ask, i did it worked.

I have no clue 2011 is 9 years ago. I wish my recollection was that good. I know she called and asked neighbors. Also things dont always work the same all over Thailand.

In theory my village pays 50 Baht per house per month for a twice weekly rubbish collection. In reality not everyone pays and the rubbish truck often does not arrive, it is all very hit and miss. Large objects you negotiate with the rubbish crew, usually 100 Baht for most things. Alternatively you contact and pay a local with a truck, when it probably ends up fly tipped some where.  

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes and no, Thailand lacks in adequate trash collection of large items.  I have for instance no clue where to bring my sofa if it is end of life. You see trash everywhere as there is no real collection point.

Sure normal trash gets collected by the trash collection of my village but no such thing for large items. (not that i condone dumping it in canals)

I took the article to mean that the storm drains in the streets were plugged by trash. I didn't figure they were talking about sofas and other large items, but it's really not clear. There are inadequate trash baskets or barrels in our neighborhood and garbage is often overflowing onto the streets, when storms come it plugs drains and gets blown across lots and fields.

Edited by Lee4Life
  • Like 1

The storm drains clog up because they are not laid to a continuous fall that would produce a 3fps flow velocity. I have witnessed several storm drainage systems installed here, and the object of the exercise is to bury the pipe asap and pave it over. One manhole nearby has the bottom of the outflow pipe 8" higher than the bottom of the inflowing pipe, and this is the norm rather than the exception. Logic will never prevail here, just massive wastage of funds on projects that will not work ????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes and no, Thailand lacks in adequate trash collection of large items.  I have for instance no clue where to bring my sofa if it is end of life. You see trash everywhere as there is no real collection point.

Sure normal trash gets collected by the trash collection of my village but no such thing for large items. (not that i condone dumping it in canals)

Burn it like everyone is doing and the leftovers can go in the bin

8 hours ago, webfact said:

They could clean the place more often then Ones every couple Yrs . Bring out the Trash brigade and Police 24/7.     Fine /Jail the offenders

8 hours ago, robblok said:

Call the local admin office and they'll collect. They might even keep it for themselves ????

• Like 1

Wirh all due respect to your superior drain laying techniques it is difficult when different parts are sinking more than others & no matter what they do the massive downpours will create flooding

& nowhere to pump it to, Many areas are below sealevel.

.But the main problem the council is correct, it is these disgraceful human beings disposing of their rubbish inappropriately,

But I have heard & seen this panic every year for 30 years.

It is called a calender Mr Council drainage man & it means that one month before the rainy season 

you clear the catchment areas & as money provides put protective seives  around but not too close to the pumps intakes

It is about all one can do witout moving the city of Bangkok or as one Duchman said mortgage your country for life

8 hours ago, robblok said:

You could try leaving it outside your gate. My neighbour did that and it was gone by the end of the day. Alternatively go to the local tessaban and tell them.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, colinneil said:

Why not phone the orbortor in your area?

Here just phone and later the same day, yellow truck will come and take things like that away, no charge, just a bottle of beer each to the 2 men on the truck, easy.

Who then drive around the corner and dump it in the nearest high patch of grass.............:cheesy:...............:sorry: Colin, Couldn't resist.....

• Haha 1

On 6/3/2020 at 4:17 PM, phantomfiddler said:

The storm drains clog up because they are not laid to a continuous fall that would produce a 3fps flow velocity. I have witnessed several storm drainage systems installed here, and the object of the exercise is to bury the pipe asap and pave it over. One manhole nearby has the bottom of the outflow pipe 8" higher than the bottom of the inflowing pipe, and this is the norm rather than the exception. Logic will never prevail here, just massive wastage of funds on projects that will not work ????

Good points, a few years ago they dug up a main street in our area and put in storm water runoff systems along with steel grates at street level, then a few months later the street was resurfaced using Asphalt and that crew paved over the top of all the freshly installed storm drains. I figured that for sure they would come back and cut them out...but not so!