BANGKOK
webfact

Street racers pre-empted near Pattaya

Street racers pre-empted near Pattaya

By Boonlua Chatree

N-May-30-04-Police-round-16-bikes-ready-  

Nongprue police seized 16 motorbikes before they could be used in an illegal street race in Pong.

Nongprue police seized 16 motorbikes before they could be used in an illegal street race in Pong.

An unspecified number of people were arrested in the raid at a PTT gas station on Highway 36 May 30. Sixteen Yamaha motorbikes were seized.

Full story: https://www.pattayamail.com/news/street-racers-pre-empted-near-pattaya-302541

screenshot_10211.jpg

-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2020-06-03

sounds more like an owners club out for a ride 

how did they know their intent was racing ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, smedly said:

You underestimate Thailand's finest! - maybe they had seen the booking for Bira? 😜

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, smedly said:

I'll take their word for it, go confiscate another sixteen tomorrow.

• Sad 2

They were probably "racing" on the way to the gas station, which is probably how the police were alerted to what was happening.

They were probably also "known" to the police from previous incidents. (That's a lot of "probably's" !)

The other evening I was standing outside looking up at the sky wondering if we were going to have a rainstorm that night. I heard a "crotch rocket" of some description crank it up on Sukhumvit and he must have been going flat out all the way from Klang to Tai as it didn't sound like he even tried to slow down the entire way.

Back home that would have been like waving a red flag in front of an angry bull (yes, I know they are colour blind and react to the movement, not the colour) to every cop on the street.
But here, the only time I ever hear a siren it's on an ambulance (usually) or a fire truck (rarely). I've read about the odd police chase but it's usually someone who busted through a checkpoint, never chasing down a speeder.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, smedly said:

Probable one off the Racers is an under cover cop, Or on FB.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

Four of the bikes closest in the picture are definitely not street racers!

You aught to tell the owners that.....😂

Hands off the bikers, let them race, whingers' department.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

before they could be used in an illegal street race in Pong.

May have caused a bit of a stink if they had taken to the road!!

12 hours ago, Deli said:

Hands off the bikers, let them race, whingers' department.

Where do you live... they would like to race there?

• Haha 1

They were probably on the way to their favourite site in the area for street racing, which is the slip road from the 7 motorway onto the highway 36 in front of Regents school.

Many times I have come back from the airport late at night to find them racing there and difficult for the taxi to get through without hitting them as they are all over the place and do not care about oncoming traffic.

Many of the riders are just school age, and on fino or scoopy-i scooters, but they still like to race each other.

19 hours ago, smedly said:

How many owners clubs do you know of in Thailand, consisting of teenagers and their waves?

20 minutes ago, crobe said:

They were probably on the way to their favourite site in the area for street racing, which is the slip road from the 7 motorway onto the highway 36 in front of Regents school.

Many times I have come back from the airport late at night to find them racing there and difficult for the taxi to get through without hitting them as they are all over the place and do not care about oncoming traffic.

Many of the riders are just school age, and on fino or scoopy-i scooters, but they still like to race each other.

I remember my youth (some of it at least) and it wasn't much different except more cars, fewer motorcycles. (Motorcycles don't have heaters and are harder to sleep in.)

Pretty much everyone that could get the keys to a car wanted to race it, regardless of what kind of POS it was. They didn't race for "pink slips" like in the movies. It was more about just trying to go fast and hopefully win.
I had an old boat of a Plymouth Fury II with a 318 engine, stock carb and automatic transmission but I drove that like it was a tricked out hotrod (you know, when it was safe to do so and I hadn't been drinking or trying to impress a girl or something). :whistling:

Kids these days aren't much different. Over here scooters are cheaper and easier to get your hands on so they race them (rich kids, as we know, still race with "rich kid cars"). 
Literally any old scooter is good enough if you've got the balls to run it 'till it melts !

See kids all the time when I'm out on the Harley, trying to race you on the highway on their little 100/125cc scooters (with one kid on the back looking at his phone and neither wearing a helmet of course). 

And with the lax (lack of) law enforcement over here, especially with regards to licensing and insuring vehicles, it makes it that much easier for them to do.

Every so often I pass by one of the police "impound" yards and shake my head at how many scooters they have in there. Some of them look so old they might have been "original" models from 60+ years ago !
(Collectors could probably find some good deals if they went looking.)

I don't recall hearing about the police auctioning off the impounded bikes though. One place (behind a police station in Sisaket) had bikes that looked liked they'd been sitting there for 20 years. Looked more like a scrap yard than a police station.

A lot of the bikes the police impounded in this case will probably also sit in an impound yard for ages. Cheaper to get a new bike than to pay the impound fee (and traffic ticket) maybe ? Or their parents will have to go down and claim the bikes back.

Again, not much different than back in my youth !

18 hours ago, Kerryd said:

to every cop on the street.

AKA bandits.  Pattaya's finest conglomerate at their usual check-points (near The Ambassador) so are easily avoided.