Finding a Teaching Post (not a newbie).

I am a TEFL teacher with 27 years' experience, although I reached the big 6-0 a couple of years ago. I have two masters' (one MBA) and a range of other tickets. I taught at a very famous university in Bkk for 6 years and was an IELTS examiner a while back. I am CEFR trained, a trainer for Business English teachers (Certified) and was, thanks to my original career, a teacher of Medical English also. I live in Bkk, but I have taught TEFL in Spain and BA BA/NVQ at a London university. I am Native UK.

Now I find myself teaching IELTS and TOEIC to a handful of private clients, although I am experienced enough to be a DOS or a TTrainer. I have been offered two headships in Asia, but was unable to pursue these options when they were open.

My intention here is not to find a job directly (although interesting avenues would be explored).

The point of writing to this forum is to find out the procedure for applying for one of these "10,000 jobs" for experienced people (as teacher. mentor, trainer etc.) about which we hear so much.

I am familiar with Ajarn.com, Dave's, the FB groups (and so on) although where or how does the government advertise training jobs or senior posts (I have a 730 cert for Adult Teaching but no QTS or similar)?

Some time ago, I was under the impression that the BC had taken on this recruiting task, but since that time, I have been led to believe that the BC effort was incompletely fulfilled (perhaps due to reasons beyond its control).

Any advice appreciated. Part-time work or work involving travel would be considered. I have had no symptoms of Covid during this recent period.

Te repeat, I am not using this forum as a job board. My problem is that I cannot find where I should apply for these senior posts that the government would like to fill.

Best

PaulEddy

About the 10,000 teaching jobs. The teachers will be recruited through the Thai Embassies under an MOU with different countries. The salaries will be 35,000 baht for someone with no education degree. For you, I see two problems. Number 1, you won’t be happy with the salary. Number 2, how will you get the waiver as you have exhausted yours? Just because MOE is hiring these teachers, It does not mean they don’t have to follow the rules. This is all first hand knowledge by the way. 

Never mind the senior posts, from what I have been seeing on job boards lately youll barely qualify for the basic teaching jobs. Requirements (qualification wise) seem to be getting higher and higher, many schools are now insisting all documents (degree, transcripts, TESOL Cert. Police check) are legalised in your home country or the country of issue. However, whilst all these requirements are going up the remittances being offered seem to be getting smaller. Now, this is either because Big Brothe Xi has said "This is how we recruit the best teachers in China." and LOS has decided to follow suit, or it is because they think that all of us who have been trapped here for 3 months, many with severly reduced pay or no pay, will be so desperate to be earning again we'll take the jobs I don't know but either way it seems really extreme. I can understand China wanting only the highest qualified and experienced teachers because in China education is important to people., but here?? With a "No Fail" policy in almost every school? Surely a few beanie wearing gap year Media Studies 2:2 graduates would do if everyone is going to pass their exams whether they learn or not!?

I left China when all this legalising of documents came in to play. Not because there's anything wrong with my documents that would prevent them being legalised, it was the time and expense involved in getting it done. 3 - 5 months (main delay being the Chinese embassy in London) and 500GBP +. I wouldn't do it to work somewhere where I mattered as a teacher, I'm sure as hell not going to do it here!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...