Rediscovering the Beatles

18 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Great memories, evoked by brilliant music. I wonder if the younger spotify generation will have similar tracks to evoke their memories?  

My generation grew up listening to wonderful music that accompanied our lives, so we remember our lives  as they happened when we hear a particular song.

Perhaps that still happens, but when I hear what they are listening to ( when I can't avoid it ) I don't think it's memorable enough to even be repeated in their future.

• Like 2

I am currently doing some research for a project I am working on. This year being the 60th anniversary year of The Beatles I decided to build a guitar based on a cushion cover I found at a factory sale in Korat. All will be revealed in good time. The guitar is to be donated to raise money for charity. I didn't feel that I could build the guitar without doing research and learning a lot that I didn't know. What was behind the music? I am still learning but in a few months I have collected a lot of information and some pieces of memorabilia, which I will also donate. Even though I lived through the era when The Beatles gained national recognition in the UK I never looked beyond the music. What has surprised me is that there are many fans among generations who were not even born when The Beatles were together. 

I regularly start at Please Please Me album and go consecutively until Let It Be. What a great musical education. I also do it with The Beach Boys albums, even a greater change from Surfin' to God Made the Radio.

But of course, only 7 years of Beatles, 50 for The BBs.

Edited by stouricks
  • Like 2

Love the Beatles too, never wrote a bad song. You've prompted me to play them aagain soon.

My take on your rainy day nostalgia trip is with a chronological playing of Lez Zeppelin albums. Many memories invoked.

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

Paul, a bit too sweet

Hi Hi Hi, Jet, Rock Show etc etc Sweet? No, out and out Rockers. Long Tall Sally, Kansas City, I'm Down (funnily recorded the morning before he did Yesterday). Too many more.

55 minutes ago, Two Plus Two said:

Maybe have a look at the MonaLisa Twins on YouTube.

They do some nice cover versions.

Unfortunatley they are just 'Nice cover versions'. The Analogues from Holland are very meticulous with the music and the instruments they use, although I have seen them using a Fender Jazz which Paul only ever used on Helter Skelter.

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

Love the Beatles too, never wrote a bad song. You've prompted me to play them aagain soon.

My take on your rainy day nostalgia trip is with a chronological playing of Lez Zeppelin albums. Many memories invoked.

Never wrote a bad song?? Get back. Michelle. Yellow Submarine. Good ones All my Lovin, You've got to Hide your Love Away, I'm a Loser.

• Thanks 1

The Beatles? the young generation are not good enough o appreciate the Beatles music and others like them, if its not on social media, politically correct or burning, looting and lynching people to make a point, the Beatles might as well happen a 1000 yeas ago... someone once said that the youth is wasted on the you young, and oh boy this is so right...

29 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

As an ex professional musician, songs go through my head all the time, and as for playing music on my smartphone, there are some songs I cannot listen too now because of past memories, good ones I mean.

As for The Beatles, some of their songs were brilliant, and some were dreadful. As for musical and vocal ability, they were nowhere near the best. Bands like The Byrds and The Eagles were far superior.

I am not a Beatles fan but the Beatles were around a long time before the other bands you mention. By the time the Byrd's formed Beatles were international stars while the Beatles were finished by the time The Eagles turned up. I'd say they are also totally different bands. Beatles were rock n roll while the others were more laid back. PS I'd take the Byrds over the Beatles most days.

I think we were quite a number back in the 60s that didn't understood to appreciate the value of John and Paul's composition work – not to forget the producer George Martin's influence – at that time, even we would sing along on the themes, and know the lyrics by hearth. I also find The Beatles' songs better now, than then; whilst then, I found Rolling Stones – and numerous others – more fascinating than The Beatles...????

When I was going to high school in the 80s, for me and my friends it was mostly metal. Except for one mate, he listened to Beatles, and nothing but Beatles, dressed like them, the whole bit. Used to cop a good bit of flack from us for it. About 15 years ago, I started listening to their last 7 albums. There earlier pop stuff was big in it's time, but for me the latter part of their career the music was way, way ahead of it's time. Absolute genius.

39 minutes ago, ezzra said:

The Beatles? the young generation are not good enough o appreciate the Beatles music and others like them, if its not on social media, politically correct or burning, looting and lynching people to make a point, the Beatles might as well happen a 1000 yeas ago... someone once said that the youth is wasted on the you young, and oh boy this is so right...

Wow that's a lot of people to put in the same pot, and I can assure you that you are very, very wrong. Do you do much besides watch the 6 o'clock news?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Never wrote a bad song?? Get back. Michelle. Yellow Submarine. Good ones All my Lovin, You've got to Hide your Love Away, I'm a Loser.

Funny that, Get Back is in my top 3 Beatles songs ???? Each to their own.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ezzra said:

the young generation are not good enough o appreciate the Beatles music and others like them, if its not on social media, politically correct or burning, looting and lynching people to make a point,

My (13 yo Thai) daughter has matured from Black Pink and BTs, to Daniel Caesar and Phum Viphurit. Couldn't be happier. There's a lot of <deleted>, especially black music from the USA*, but there's a lot of great music too.

*Watch some Soul Train clips to see how awesome black music in the US used to be. There are some great documentaries on major black musos on Netflix.

The Beatles had chemistry. And we know what happens if you fool around with chemistry too much. It blows up in your face.

Edited by teatime101