Rediscovering the Beatles

1 hour ago, Wongkitlo said:

I was more a Stones, Who fan and my least favourite Beatle was Paul McCartney. Then I watched the Carpool Karaoke episode with him on YouTube and it gave me a new appreciation of him.  

Only took you 60 years then. If what he did on Carpool is your appreciation of Macca, then you need to listen a bit more to his stuff, both Beatles & Wings. You say you liked the Stones.....1st hit written by whom?. The Who did Miles & Miles to try to compete with Helter Skelter in dirtiness. 

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Never wrote a bad song?? Get back. Michelle. Yellow Submarine. Good ones All my Lovin, You've got to Hide your Love Away, I'm a Loser.

Some people like Why Don't We Do It In The Road, and others You Know My Name Look Up the Number. Everyone to their own likes. 

• Like 1

The one thing in life is that music does not age, it moves on but doesn't age.

I grew up through the Beatles, Stones, Yardbirds era, those three I saw live. But there was much more great stuff going around at that time, especially Tamla Motown, us UK mods loved it...

Oh gosh, no crash hats...........................????

mods.jpg.6240c7c37308a0692e3371cfdda22aca.jpg

• Like 2

I think it was '66 , I bought Pet Sounds by the Beach boys.  Same year Sgt. Peppers , Beatles.  Brian Wilson thought Sgt. Peppers was the best album he had heard and P. Mc. thought Pet Sounds was the best album.

As I have both , the best one is the one playing at the time. Both perfect. Maybe you have to be over 70 to appreciate them.

3 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

I was there with my Norton parked up and me tying these chaps arials in knots. Look at them ! They all need a good slap !

Noooooo, there wasn't enough of you to do that....????

1 hour ago, stouricks said:

Only took you 60 years then. If what he did on Carpool is your appreciation of Macca, then you need to listen a bit more to his stuff, both Beatles & Wings. You say you liked the Stones.....1st hit written by whom?. The Who did Miles & Miles to try to compete with Helter Skelter in dirtiness. 

I actually like Helter Skelter and the other White Album stuff. I used to listen to Band on the Run but can only really appreciate the title track these days. I wasn't trying to set up a competition between the different bands. It is hard to live a life and not hear alot of Beatles and McCartney tracks unless you are living under a tree(or in Thailand). I was just saying to the OP if he was a fan he should watch the Carpool Karaoke episode. It was very nostalgic.

11 minutes ago, farang51 said:

Funny, I just wastched the movie Yesterday yesterday - for the second time. I highly recommend that movie to all Beatles fans.

A Hard Days Night is SO SO funny. Great music in Help! And MMT is unreal. Just think they made three movies, or 4 with Let It Be, and were themselves in all of them. 

1 hour ago, toofarnorth said:

I think it was '66 , I bought Pet Sounds by the Beach boys.  Same year Sgt. Peppers , Beatles.  Brian Wilson thought Sgt. Peppers was the best album he had heard and P. Mc. thought Pet Sounds was the best album.

As I have both , the best one is the one playing at the time. Both perfect. Maybe you have to be over 70 to appreciate them.

It was Rubber Soul in Dec 65 which spurred Brian to do Pet Sounds in summer 66. The Beatles did Revolver in Aug 66 before Sgt Pepper in June 67. As you say, completely different albums, songs, production, but both brilliant. I think Pepper drove Brian to do SmIle, which if it had materialised, would have blown the place apart. 

I was 13 I saw them on Ed Sullivan like many! I was in love! We were a bit poor but begged my Mom to let me buy that first 45! We had no car and it was a little walk, did not matter!

I never quit loving their music!

22 hours ago, stouricks said:

Hi Hi Hi, Jet, Rock Show etc etc Sweet? No, out and out Rockers. Long Tall Sally, Kansas City, I'm Down (funnily recorded the morning before he did Yesterday). Too many more.

Yeah. The Beatles after Hamburg were the real deal rockers that made great music to sing along to. IMO LSD destroyed that, which is why I still listen to the Rolling Stones and hardly ever to the Beatles.

• Like 1

I listened to a radio programme on lead guitarists. They rated George as a great lead guitarist but it hasn't changed my mind on Beatles' music as a whole.

Edited by VocalNeal

2 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I listened to a radio programme on lead guitarists. They rated George as a great lead guitarist but it hasn't changed my mind on the music as a whole.

I think Hare Krishna is a wonderful song, but other than that I know of nothing that he did himself, with or without the Beatles.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I grew into the music my father listened to when I was a boy. Sadly I didn't get his records. I don't remember my mother having a music interest at all.

I did/do like Johnny Cash but probably because he was kinda rebellious. 

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I think Hare Krishna is a wonderful song, but other than that I know of nothing that he did himself, with or without the Beatles.

"Here Comes the Sun" and "Something" comes to mind.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yeah. The Beatles after Hamburg were the real deal rockers that made great music to sing along to. IMO LSD destroyed that, which is why I still listen to the Rolling Stones and hardly ever to the Beatles.

Are you telling me that The R Stones never took LSD or MaryJane, were Mick & Keith not jailed for it?