Britain will not walk away from Hong Kong, Johnson says

snoop1130

Poor ole Boris is probably just hoping a  wee puff and huff will encourage a little British patriotism to deflect his  many other  worries and endear himself to  the POTUS.

Yet his proposal is at least more humanitarian than Trump's actions to sacrifice HK altogether by excuse of the objection to the internal legislation of another Nation which in effect is no more draconian than the US Patriot Act which has been repeatedly reauthorized for the last 20 years!

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, flossie35 said:

But sovereign UK territory taken by force, ie stolen. And anyway dependent on the leased bit for eg water. Guess who owns the tap?

And in case no-one has noticed BJ seems intent on wrecking the UK economy with his no deal brexit; why would anyone want to come?

A bit like Singapore? 

Still an shrunken yet independent HK would have been unacceptable to China. 

As for colonialism - I take your point. Just that China doesn’t. Witness Tibet and most of the west of the country . They don’t even get their own time zone!

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, animalmagic said:

So if it is a bilateral joint declaration how can one side have no right to monitor, as you claimed in your earlier post?

I was replying to your assertion that UN will monitor the bi-lateral declaration which is not true. UN will only be involved when the parties lodge a complaint. 

The subject of Britain monitoring the joint declaration is still a subject of legality after 1997. This is what I said. Will this legality be tested, we will have to wait and see. 

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

I was replying to your assertion that UN will monitor the bi-lateral declaration which is not true. UN will only be involved when the parties lodge a complaint. 

The subject of Britain monitoring the joint declaration is still a subject of legality after 1997. This is what I said. Will this legality be tested, we will have to wait and see. 

So you acknowledge that UK has a right to lodge a complaint?  Which would have to be done after monitoring!

And you claim that UK monitoring the joint declaration may be illegal after 1997.  Please do advise on the legality of China not honouring the joint declaration

• Like 1

18 hours ago, YetAnother said:

sure they will; same as they caved to the mainland china in the 1997 'negotiations'

You obviously didn't watch the BBC's excellent documentary 'The Last Governor'. 

Chris Patten fought like a tiger to maximize Hong Kong's rights and freedoms and won a lot of concessions from the Chinese negotiators. He was such a 'thorn in the side' of the Chinese negotiators that he became known as the 'whore of the East,' in Chinese media.

It was obvious why John Major chose a hard nosed politician to be the last governor, rather than a more whimsical career diplomat.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bruntoid said:

So potentially 2,850,000 immigrants to the U.K. - brexiteer heads must be in a spin this morning !! 

Well post brexit they were talking about ‘Singapore on Thames’. Perhaps they now can tweak it to be ‘HK on Thames’. 

The SE is going to love it. The rest of England, probably not so much! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, animalmagic said:

So you acknowledge that UK has a right to lodge a complaint?  Which would have to be done after monitoring!

And you claim that UK monitoring the joint declaration may be illegal after 1997.  Please do advise on the legality of China not honouring the joint declaration

UN’s charter state that international disputes can be lodged at the UN by disputing countries. UK can monitor and lodge the case with UN. You said UN monitor; I said that’s not true. The declaration legality will be contested as stated in my earlier post. Legality of this 30 years declaration will be tested in the court with legal scholar said that it ends in 1997. Hope this not intentional of you to

misunderstand me. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

UN’s charter state that international disputes can be lodged at the UN by disputing countries. UK can monitor and lodge the case with UN. You said UN monitor; I said that’s not true. The declaration legality will be contested as stated in my earlier post. Legality of this 30 years declaration will be tested in the court with legal scholar said that it ends in 1997. Hope this not intentional of you to

misunderstand me. 

Don't worry, I completely understand you.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

informal agreement

Only the Chinese would try to minimize this by calling it an informal agreement.  They are the greatest justifiers of wrongdoing that were ever born.  I wonder how they ever justify their complete lack of ethics and morals.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, samran said:
50 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

1898 - China leases the New Territories together with 235 islands to Britain for 99 years from 1 July.

31 minutes ago, samran said:

Not sure what your point is? Read the first two points in the link you just gave. 

You said in your post #5 that 'it It wasn’t all lease'. However, as noted above, following the agreement of 1898, all the territory was under lease. And that's the lease that expired in 1997. 

25 minutes ago, samran said:

You've misread it. HK Island and the Kowloon peninsula up to boundary rd were the UK's forever.

All of it was handed back however as it would have been impractical to just hand back the new territories. That fact gave the UK a lot, but not total, leverage in the handover negotiations. 

Yes you're right. what a swot you are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Hong_Kong

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bruntoid said:

So potentially 2,850,000 immigrants to the U.K. - brexiteer heads must be in a spin this morning !! 

Relax, there won't be any exodus from HK. There are around 100K Aussie passport holders working and doing business there,  if it was that bad they would be all home already.

When money talks...

1 hour ago, car720 said:

Only the Chinese would try to minimize this by calling it an informal agreement.  They are the greatest justifiers of wrongdoing that were ever born.  I wonder how they ever justify their complete lack of ethics and morals.

Only the Chinese violate agreements???

https://qz.com/1273510/all-the-international-agreements-the-us-has-broken-before-the-iran-deal/

• Sad 1

The BNO was a fudge.

I can't remember now how many HK colonial officials were granted full British citizenship, but it was a fraction of the total HK population, the fear was mass emigration and a backlash from the British electorate.

But it certainly wasn't ethical, and as a friend of mine told me, the only advantage of a BNO was that he needed to apply for less visas when he travelled.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Oh I see our PRC troll is back lol

Must be hard for you to accept that the west is devoid of morals and ethics too. Stop baiting and try to gain some respect with intelligent inputs. What an embarrassment. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

They have already walked away. Nothing to be done realistically

Oh yes, the 2 funny haircut men will blow & yak but HK belongs to Chinea now (same as Macau)

The signed bit of paper means absolutely nothing

The people of HK are just going to have to get used to it in the long run because the more they holler to the world the more restrictions China will place on them,

If I could look back on comments I made years ago they are very similar to the above

• Sad 1