Jump to content
BANGKOK
snoop1130

Britain will not walk away from Hong Kong, Johnson says

Recommended Posts

it was a legally binding int treaty,so....they also disregard the UN ruling on s china sea and continue to build military bases on atolls there.we have recent threats to taiwan oz canada and USA.african debt.racism at africans in china over the wuflu!!!then theres the internal oppression-falungong tibet xin jiang[3 mill in camps],environmentalists.of course that magic trick,the disappearing dr.so if you cant see a hand in front of your face ,its up to you,i lived in hk for many yrs ive only recently moved here and this is a serious fascist expansionist power and the generals here speak the same lingo,soon as covids gone i am too

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, kingdong said:

Rules can easily be changed,especially when Britain leaves the eu.

The EU has never been a barrier to the UK granting residency rights to the people of HK. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2020 at 8:15 PM, Susco said:

He gonna invite them all to the UK?

 

Why countries like UK and US always want to intervene in other countries politics?

Because the people of those countries want them to? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Oh I see our PRC troll is back lol

But he has a point. Both worldwide powers don't care about morals an ethics and do as they please without any consideration for their actions or without any fear of being punished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, samran said:

The EU has never been a barrier to the UK granting residency rights to the people of HK. 

did I say it did? Just remember in 1980 when I went home after living in Africa obtaining birth certificates for mates who could claim a UK passport if you had a UK grandparent,this was changed just after. got a mate who's married to an English girl with a British passport,he,d got a South African passport and hasn,t got a right to live in the uk,and although a bit off topic perhaps people should check out the murder rates of black on white murders in South africa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, kingdong said:

Rules can easily be changed,especially when Britain leaves the eu.

 

1 hour ago, kingdong said:

did I say it did? Just remember in 1980 when I went home after living in Africa obtaining birth certificates for mates who could claim a UK passport if you had a UK grandparent,this was changed just after. got a mate who's married to an English girl with a British passport,he,d got a South African passport and hasn,t got a right to live in the uk,and although a bit off topic perhaps people should check out the murder rates of black on white murders in South africa.

yes, via inference.

 

But, to be fair, it could be just be a prelude to the meaningless waffle that you've put into your follow up.

Edited by samran
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boris really has delusions of Old Empire. Like so many British. It's over Boris. Nobody cares. Hong Kong is part of China. You had no choice. You let it go.

 

It's over.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Boris really has delusions of Old Empire. Like so many British. It's over Boris. Nobody cares. Hong Kong is part of China. You had no choice. You let it go.

 

It's over.

 

 

Yes, its long over.

 

But realpolitik dictates that he flies the flag one last time while signing up at least 3.5 million HKers (not including their spouses and children) to automatic residency in the UK. Its the moral thing to do, but that was never reason enough for the past 24 years. Singing Rule Britannia is the little bit of sugar to help the medicine go down so to speak.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, samran said:

Yes, its long over.

 

But realpolitik dictates that he flies the flag one last time while signing up at least 3.5 million HKers (not including their spouses and children) to automatic residency in the UK. Its the moral thing to do, but that was never reason enough for the past 24 years. Singing Rule Britannia is the little bit of sugar to help the medicine go down so to speak.

Yes, and of course the UK still has massive economic interests in HK, law firms alone, there are countless giant UK law firms with offices in Hong Kong, accountancy firms, banks etc., it's not just selfless concern for Hong Kongers.

 

In the old days all the capital markets, banking and securities contracts were done under UK law. If you were qualified you could just walk into a Hong Kong law firm and get a job. The Brits are trying to hang on, but no more. Try getting a job in Hong Kong with a UK qualification now. Almost impossible. You have to be qualified in Hong Kong and speak Mandarin. All the contracts are in Chinese now, almost all.

 

The Chinese takeover is slow and gentle. But unstoppable. I don't know why Boris is wasting his time even thinking about Hong Kong. Just let it go.

 

 

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, samran said:

Yes, its long over.

 

But realpolitik dictates that he flies the flag one last time while signing up at least 3.5 million HKers (not including their spouses and children) to automatic residency in the UK. Its the moral thing to do, but that was never reason enough for the past 24 years. Singing Rule Britannia is the little bit of sugar to help the medicine go down so to speak.

Neither the spirit or flesh are willing but he obligated to say something and back up his orange pal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Neither the spirit or flesh are willing but he obligated to say something and back up his orange pal. 

No, to be fair to Boris I actually thinks he means it. This has got nothing to do with trump, who’d be hard up trying to locate HK on a map. 

 

There isn’t much he can do apart from the residency rights thing. 
 

The Chinese have essentially reneged on one county two systems. Some, me included hoped they’d honour it if only to keep an effective entry point for business into the county, but they seem happy to trash that now too. 
 

Britain can’t take back HK island and Kowloon, so the best they can do is give citizens there a safety net.
 

Sure it will <deleted> China off but China has shown really good form lately in pissing everyone off. 

Edited by samran
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, samran said:

No, to be fair to Boris I actually thinks he means it. This has got nothing to do with trump, who’d be hard up trying to locate HK on a map. 

 

There isn’t much he can do apart from the residency rights thing. 
 

The Chinese have essentially reneged on one county two systems. Some, me included hoped they’d honour it if only to keep an effective entry point for business into the county, but they seem happy to trash that now too. 
 

Britain can’t take back HK island and Kowloon, so the best they can do is give citizens there a safety net.
 

Sure it will <deleted> China off but China has shown really good form lately in pissing everyone off. 

Why should Britain have to give their citizens a safety net? It was not a former colony Hong Kong was leased a fact that was known for the last 100years and the lease ran out.They have no automatic right to uk citizenship,I did point this out in a former post but obviously you can,t understand,take it Britain isn,t your country of residence?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, kingdong said:

Why should Britain have to give their citizens a safety net? It was not a former colony Hong Kong was leased a fact that was known for the last 100years and the lease ran out.They have no automatic right to uk citizenship,I did point this out in a former post but obviously you can,t understand,take it Britain isn,t your country of residence?

Your previous post included a bizarre rant about White south African farmers being shot. 
 

History isn’t your strong point - HK was a crown colony till 1997. 
 

Hong Kong island and the Kowloon peninsula was British territory in perpetuity (if that is too big a word for you, it means forever). Think the Gibraltar of Asia. 

 

Only the New Territories were ever leased for 99 years.
 

it was always going to be impractical to only hand back the NTs so the British relinquished sovereignty over HK and Kowloon too, the quid pro quo being one country two systems.

 

The people of HK may not have automatic rights to full UK citizenship, but with a tweak of legislation, Boris can give HK BN(O) citizens residency and work rights in the UK.
 

It’s probably something that would enjoy bipartisan support, but is still a step short of what the Portuguese did with Macau - everyone born there up to 1999 gets a Portuguese passport. 

 

Have you got any other historical falsehoods you’d like to be rebut with? 

Edited by samran

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...