Factbox: The details of Britain's impending quarantine scheme

snoop1130

Factbox: The details of Britain's impending quarantine scheme

2020-06-03T090115Z_1_LYNXMPEG520TI_RTROPTP_3_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BRITAIN-QUARANTINE.JPG

FILE PHOTO: An aircraft comes in to land at Heathrow Airport in west London April 21, 2010. REUTERS/Toby Melville/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - The British government plans to introduce a 14-day quarantine period for almost everyone entering the country from June 8.

Below are details of the scheme:

WHO DOES IT APPLY TO?

Everyone arriving in the UK will be required to self-isolate for 14 days except those on a list of "limited exemptions", which the government said it would publish later.

Those exempt will include:

- road haulage and freight workers

- medical professionals who are travelling to help with the fight against the coronavirus

- anyone moving from within the Common Travel Area, which covers Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man

- Seasonal agricultural workers will be able to self-isolate on the property where they are working

The government said it would also continue to look at the option of things such as air bridges - agreements between countries who both have low transmission rates to remove the need for quarantine measures.

WHAT WILL PASSENGERS HAVE TO DO?

All arriving passengers will have to fill in an online contact form providing details and travel information so they can be contacted if they, or someone they may have been in contact with, develops the disease.

This will include giving details of their self-isolation accommodation and if it does not meet the necessary requirements, they will be required to self-isolate in facilities arranged by the government, at the passenger's expense.

The government said people should use personal transport, such as a car, to travel to their accommodation where possible.

Once there, they should not go to work, school, or public areas, or use public transport or taxis. They should not have visitors, including friends and family, unless they are providing essential support.

They should also not go out to buy food or other essentials where they can rely on others.

WHAT PENALTIES WILL BE IN PLACE?

The new regime will be in place across the United Kingdom, although enforcement measures will be set individually by each of the devolved nations.

In England, a breach of the self-isolation rules would be punishable with a 1,000 pound fine or potential prosecution and unlimited fine. The level of fine could increase if the risk of infection from abroad increases.

Border Force may refuse entry to any non-British citizen who refuses to comply with these regulations and is not resident in the UK.

Failure to complete the contact form is punishable by a 100 pound fine. The government said public health authorities would conduct random checks in England to ensure compliance and removal from the country would be considered as a last resort for foreign nationals who refuse to follow the rules.

HOW LONG WILL THE SCHEME LAST?

The rules will come into force on June 8 and will be reviewed every three weeks.

The government said the first review would take place by June 29 and would look at factors such as:

- the rate of infection and transmission internationally

- the measures international partners have put in place

- levels of imported cases in other countries where there are more relaxed border measures

- the degree to which antibody and other testing methodologies prove effective in minimising the health risk.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-06-03

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

The government said it would also continue to look at the option of things such as air bridges - agreements between countries who both have low transmission rates to remove the need for quarantine measures.

But as the UK has a high transmission rate, they can't enter an agreement with anyone. But if I, coming from a country with zero local cases in about a fortnight, set foot into the bubbling cauldron of infection that is the UK right now, I have to quarantine? Seriously? Well I guess I won't be making my annual pilgrimage this year then. Shame. I was looking forward to a beer or a wine with my dinner.

• Like 1

the airlines and hols companies are bitching like mad about quars so the gov cant win ,,whatever they do the leftys will  complain

actually many health trusts haven seen any infections lately

https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/01/nearly-70-hospital-trusts-report-no-coronavirus-deaths-48-hours-12787568/

Almost 70 hospital trusts in England recorded no coronavirus-related deaths over the weekend, new data has revealed. According to NHS England data analysed by Oxford University researchers, 69 trusts – 57.7 per cent – reported no deaths in the last 48 hours. As the data relates to trust, the number of hospitals that have not recorded fatalities will be higher. A total of 13 hospital trusts – 9.9 per cent of the country’s total number – also reported no Covid-19 deaths in the last week, according to Professor Jason Oke and Professor Carl Heneghan of The Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine. The figures includes more than half of London’s 18 main NHS trusts – including Guy’s and St Thomas’, King’s College Hospital and University College London Hospitals – which reported no deaths of patients who had tested positive for the virus in the last 48 hours. Three London hospitals have also reported none for the last week, including North Middlesex hospital has reported no Covid-19 fatalities since May 20, Whittington Hospital has not since May 19 and the Hillingdon Hospital since May 13.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/01/nearly-70-hospital-trusts-report-no-coronavirus-deaths-48-hours-12787568/?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11765927/uks-death-rate-normal-zero-covid-deaths-end-june/

HIGH HOPES

UK’s death rate ‘is back to NORMAL – with zero Covid deaths expected by end of June’

• 2 Jun 2020, 15:40
  • Updated: 2 Jun 2020, 20:27

DEATH rates in Britain 'could already have returned to normal' as coronavirus continues to fizzle out, an expert predicts.

Prof Carl Heneghan said he would expect to see zero 'excess deaths' when figures from the Office of National Statistics are published next week.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

UK got her current government wish to block all the foreigners to enter the country.

While being one of the worst countries to be attacked by the corona virus.

Did didn't work out too well for the UK, did it?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheDark said:

UK got her current government wish to block all the foreigners to enter the country.

While being one of the worst countries to be attacked by the corona virus.

Did didn't work out too well for the UK, did it?

Not all foreigners....just those that go there to sponge money, thieve, deal drugs or generally of no use to the economy..

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

This will include giving details of their self-isolation accommodation and if it does not meet the necessary requirements, they will be required to self-isolate in facilities arranged by the government, at the passenger's expense.

And those requirements are?......????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pointless and unenforceable!

4 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Now the UK is worse than Italy, and the government only had itselfto blame. Over 50,000 dead of C19 already, do they seriously want to add what's left of the economy to that dire outcome? 

Italy don't include deaths at home or in care homes which will add to their total and push it over the UK. Same applies to Spain and both countries economies are totally screwed.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11765927/uks-death-rate-normal-zero-covid-deaths-end-june/

HIGH HOPES

UK’s death rate ‘is back to NORMAL – with zero Covid deaths expected by end of June’

• 2 Jun 2020, 15:40
  • Updated: 2 Jun 2020, 20:27

DEATH rates in Britain 'could already have returned to normal' as coronavirus continues to fizzle out, an expert predicts.

Prof Carl Heneghan said he would expect to see zero 'excess deaths' when figures from the Office of National Statistics are published next week.

Wouldn't bother quoting anything from the Sun.  They are not known for their unbiased honest reporting at the best of times.  Still if you start your post referring to "lefties" then we can hardly expect anything being presented to be unbiased anyway.   

10 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Wouldn't bother quoting anything from the Sun.  They are not known for their unbiased honest reporting at the best of times.  Still if you start your post referring to "lefties" then we can hardly expect anything being presented to be unbiased anyway.   

I use to look at The Sun when they had page 3 girls, but as a read it's made up rubbish.

• Thanks 1

so what stops you filing the forms in, just like  here at Makro, wrong phone number, mistake in name, hotel name instead of house address ?

They said the fine only applies to people who refuse to fill in the forms ? 

Just like here, not enough people to follow up on this idea, and especially when they let so many in without any quarantine , make it kinda pointless 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 12:57 AM, snoop1130 said:

The government said people should use personal transport, such as a car, to travel to their accommodation where possible.

This is why this whole "self Quarantine" idea could never work in any country

"where possible" meaning not possible in most cases so the tourist take a taxi thus defeating the whole

quarantine idea/promise of safety.

If by chance tourist on way to self quarantine was in fact carrying corona now the Taxi driver has been in contact

accepted money etc etc & will be in contact with many more customers today

Just rip the band-aid off & stop all this insanity, Life goes on....Those who feel fragile take shelter (old prexisting etc etc)

Let the rest off the leashes

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 5:22 AM, phetphet said:

I wonder what the rules are if someone has a connecting flight at LHR, but at a different terminal from arrival one. 

The few times I've transited between terminals they provide a bus from the secure area of the arriving terminal to the secure area of the connecting flight terminal.

Ok....so ....plan A .....arrive in the UK homeless and skint and without a phone.

plan B .....................

Seriously , I was planning a visit to see my elderly mother in May.

Now , I thought maybe visit before the July 31st deadline. But she lives on the Isle of Wight and I usually overnight  in a Heathrow hotel then coach down to Southampton next morning.

So if this is not possible I wonder if EVA Air could let me just parachute out over the IOW before landing at Heathrow.

• Haha 1

On 6/4/2020 at 5:56 PM, natway09 said:

Boris sure got this one wrong or the Cabinet was asleep for 6 weeks.

A very complacent slow response cost thousands of lives

And now Boris is begging EU workers to come and work in the UK. You couldn't make this sort of stuff up.

1 hour ago, bannork said:

And now Boris is begging EU workers to come and work in the UK. You couldn't make this sort of stuff up.

And while he urged EU workers who had left the UK because their jobs had disappeared during lockdown to return, he ruled out any alternatives to quarantine for them, such as a medical certificate.

"Come back to London, or the UK - but you've got to quarantine. Everybody has been in lockdown for a long time, I know it's an imposition, but we really have got to beat this virus," he said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52907229

I don't see that as begging , when you doing a trade deal with the EU and you accept free movement of people as an add-on to the trade deal that is begging