Plans hatched for Thai version of Netflix

Well, that´s a scary thought. Wonder if they ever thought about that Netflix popularity if founded in that they provide choices that are not Thai produced? Not the other way around. That might be the reason for previous failures. 

15 hours ago, Pib said:

Sure...Thai movies and soap operas will be a bit hit worldwide.   

And the private sector would need to do all the hard work.....the govt would just want to "control" what is produced and shown (for brain washing purposes)...and of course collect a nice portion of the profits.

If the government here does end up creating or sponsoring some "private" video streaming platform for Thai content, I just hope they don't follow the government's practice of turning off the platform over the weekends...

That kind of "service" isn't going to go over very well with paying customers.

If you look at what is popular in Thailand (netflix can show this) It is mainly Korean and some Thai shows. Some Thai shows are actually popular. But I doubt the private sector can build this and get enough content to make it interesting. 

Also Thai content is already purchased by netflix. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Same here. My wife lately has been spending hours on the Korean stuff, and rarely seems to be watching Thai soaps....something she used to do regularly...

Dunno if this is a passing fad, or a longer-term shift.  At least with the Korean shows, AFAICT, you don't get the incessant audio batterings of "boing" "boom" "whistle", etc etc...

The korean stuff is far more entertaining then the Thai stuff. I find korean stuff often better then American stuff. My only problem with it is that its not in English so I really have to focus. Can't be multitasking. 

• Haha 1

The idea isn't to provide programming.

It is to create a slush fund that can be slowly drained by the pigs at the trough until it goes under. Then get billions in bailout money.

Rinse, lather, repeat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

how do you buy stock in a Thai sound effects company? 

Thailand is the Rodney Dangerfield of technology... They don't get no respect (deservedly so)...

Can I get a "badda bing, badda boom, whoop whoop, whistle whistle" for that???  :cheesy:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, robblok said:

The korean stuff is far more entertaining then the Thai stuff. I find korean stuff often better then American stuff. My only problem with it is that its not in English so I really have to focus. Can't be multitasking. 

I haven't really been paying close attention. I don't watch the Korean shows WITH the wife... She watches them herself at night after getting home from work, while I'm usually working at home.

But from what I can gather, she's watching them on some kind of ostensibly free website that serves up the korean shows with Thai subtitles and/or Thai audio dubbing. Not sure who's doing that or who's behind it.

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I haven't really been paying close attention. I don't watch the Korean shows WITH the wife... She watches them herself at night after getting home from work, while I'm usually working at home.

But from what I can gather, she's watching them on some kind of ostensibly free website that serves up the korean shows with Thai subtitles and/or Thai audio dubbing. Not sure who's doing that or who's behind it.

There are loads of Korean shows on netflix, some are quite entertaining. As i said too bad they dont dub them in English. They are quite creative and i like a lot of them. Prefer them often over American stuff. Not all of course but they certainly are not bad. 

22 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“For example, three international online shopping platforms are more popular than platforms run by the ministries of Commerce and Interior, and Thailand Post, because state-owned platforms do not meet the people’s needs,” he said.

Thats strange, you would think that giving a General without business experience a ton of taxpayer's money would result in far superior products and services than the free market can come up with... appearently not.

• Thanks 1