7-Eleven: qr code scanning no longer required.

garygooner

I didn't see any formal news announcement, but at least in BKK, the rules appear to have loosened considerably for restaurants also with the arrival of June.

I was looking at Facebook pages this morning, and came across restaurants talking about no longer being required to have table barriers, being able to offer buffets again, and the only seating restrictions being that individuals need to be at least one meter apart...no more separate tables, supposedly.

That's all fine well and good. But you're not going to see me sitting around a restaurant with other people and not wearing an N95 mask any time soon.... 

931514612_NewRestaurantRulesJune2020.jpg.31de8434f840c468d1e21e2513167b9b.jpg

I just went to Big C on Sukhumvit in Pattaya and they still have the same QR code/book system set up, but almost all the Thais when I was going in were signing the book rather than scanning the code. I thought that was a bit odd, do they know something? If only I knew the Thai for "Mickey Mouse" or "Adolf Hitler", I might have seen what was going on, lol.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Guderian said:

I just went to Big C on Sukhumvit in Pattaya and they still have the same QR code/book system set up, but almost all the Thais when I was going in were signing the book rather than scanning the code. I thought that was a bit odd, do they know something? If only I knew the Thai for "Mickey Mouse" or "Adolf Hitler", I might have seen what was going on, lol.

just ignored it by going in at 8 this morning that Tesco ( damn they where present already now...,days before not.. ????) and ignored by going out also ...no one stopped me ????

36 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I didn't see any formal news announcement, but at least in BKK, the rules appear to have loosened considerably for restaurants also with the arrival of June.

I was looking at Facebook pages this morning, and came across restaurants talking about no longer being required to have table barriers, being able to offer buffets again, and the only seating restrictions being that individuals need to be at least one meter apart...no more separate tables, supposedly.

That's all fine well and good. But you're not going to see me sitting around a restaurant with other people and not wearing an N95 mask any time soon.... 

931514612_NewRestaurantRulesJune2020.jpg.31de8434f840c468d1e21e2513167b9b.jpg

eating is going to be a considerable challenge then?? 

19 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I just ignored it anyway and walked past the table, just took the temp check and hand wash, which was okay by me.   I was never challenged. It was a stupid, ineffective idea from the off and it was obvious that the staff thought so too. 

The concept of "track and trace" is not stupid, as Korea has shown.

The implementation (or lack of intelligent planning regarding implementation) is where the fail became reality. Like the tons of paperwork that serves no good purpose here, did anyone in power consider the manpower required to process all that data? There's the problem.

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Eat at home via delivery or takeout...  Not sitting around in a public place sans mask with a bunch of other people I don't know.

I always prefer to eat at home.  My cooking is usually better, the  ingredients of better quality, it's all considerably cheaper, I don't need to travel to eat, I can drink to my hearts content and I can choose my company. I largely gave up on restaurants years ago. It killed them for me when they all started to get pretentious, with delusions of Michelin Stars, charging you a fortune for a strip of marinated chicken and a lettuce leaf. Either that, or it's over priced slop that I wouldn't feed the dogs. Goodness only knows what hygiene standards Thai restaurants are sticking to, none probably.  No, home is much better for us. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I always prefer to eat at home.  My cooking is usually better, the  ingredients of better quality, it's all considerably cheaper, I don't need to travel to eat, I can drink to my hearts content and I can choose my company. I largely gave up on restaurants years ago. It killed them for me when they all started to get pretentious, with delusions of Michelin Stars, charging you a fortune for a strip of marinated chicken and a lettuce leaf. Either that, or it's over priced slop that I wouldn't feed the dogs. Goodness only knows what hygiene standards Thai restaurants are sticking to, none probably.  No, home is much better for us. 

It's like that for us as well, even when we had a Thai restaurant in the UK, we used go out at weekends to relax, and it was almost always disappointing. The only upside to dining out was to fraternise with friends.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Emdog said:

The concept of "track and trace" is not stupid, as Korea has shown.

The implementation (or lack of intelligent planning regarding implementation) is where the fail became reality. Like the tons of paperwork that serves no good purpose here, did anyone in power consider the manpower required to process all that data? There's the problem.

That's why it was a stupid idea.  The concept is maybe okay, although I rather doubt it actually achieves anything.  People are not static beings in most countries, Korea may be, but not most.. They roam around and mix with all kinds of others, that is not recorded.  It's a palpable nonsense to try to track everyone.  It's also a dangerous Orwellian precedent.  All that said. the implementation here was always going to be a fairy tail.   

19 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

The 7/11 here still scans body temperature.

It's always 35.5 Celsius, yes you read that right 35.5 Celsius.

There is not a single person who will tell them that can't be right.

It's going on for weeks....

Last time I went to the Big C I was already starting to move when the guy said, "36 degrees." I stopped and asked him if I heard right, he said (in Thai), "Yes 36 degrees," and then showed me the scanner, which read 36.6.

Can't you tell him that can't be right?

3 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

villa & local tesco's & 7/11 are not shopping malls

but yeah, freak out everybody and make them all use the same pen (for the once's that don't want to be QR followed everywhere)

Mai PEN rai!

2 hours ago, Acharn said:
21 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

The 7/11 here still scans body temperature.

It's always 35.5 Celsius, yes you read that right 35.5 Celsius.

There is not a single person who will tell them that can't be right.

Last time I went to the Big C I was already starting to move when the guy said, "36 degrees." I stopped and asked him if I heard right, he said (in Thai), "Yes 36 degrees," and then showed me the scanner, which read 36.6.

Can't you tell him that can't be right?

What is your problem with these temperatures ??  :unsure:

35.5 is a bit low, but 36.6 is perfect.

It's you forehead temperature, not your inside-body one !

The normal temperature range on the forehead is approximately between 35.4 °C and 37.4 °C.

from here.

• Like 1

Went in for sundries. QR police stopped me cold.

Threw up my hands and left never to return.

Someone got smart.

Damn straight not gonna touch a public pen.

Edited by Number 6

2 hours ago, apetryxx said:

I’m going to miss conjuring up a new name every day for the sign in sheet. It was kind of fun.

It was wasn't it. I have made my way through history, from Gengis Khan to Nero to Mark Anthony and back again ,  I was even 'Madam Guillotine' at one Big Cm but always the same phone number 012345678.  Must call it one day, someone may have it as a real number  

Such a farce - even for the 10m square little Tesco in my soi.

But when I went to Mega, they made me scan in to Ikea (though I told them I wasn't going to Ikea) from the carpark, then out to Megabangna again at the top of the escalator - so I wasn't registered inside Megabangna, only expected to scan in to individual shops.

The problem is the app is such a faff - change language, enter phone number etc. I just pointed the camera, opened the app, walked in and swiped the app away. At least half the shops weren't bothering at all.