Backing up

toast1

When backing up to a USB memory, difficult, get so many messages Do you want to copy this without properties, no matter how many times I say yes, do for all, it keeps happening.

Any way to just copy all files without all these boxes coming up? I can't Compress, as Windows always complains about the titles of files

This doesn't seem to happen with external HD 

Thanks

Are you sure the USB memory stick is good ?   some of them go "read only"  quite fast try another stick if possible  also  run disk checks on both USB and original location disk    

from the command prompt  chkdsk /f  z:   ... z: being the  letter of the disk you want to check

26 minutes ago, johng said:

Are you sure the USB memory stick is good ?

Would have been my first question too.

Maybe another cheap fake.

How big (GB) is the stick?

What did it cost?

The described behavior is hard to explain, abnormal.

• Like 1

It is off Ebay, yes, a 2TB memory

1000Bt

I tried to do chkdsk /f  z:,  but every time the box just opened and then closed immediately

But I often have problems copying folders, as I'm always asked if I want to copy without properties, I'd like to find a way to stop this.

Trying to copy 900Gb is almost impossible as these messages keep coming up.

Thank you

If it is a '2TB' USB stick for 1,000 THB I can guarantee you it is fake. 

Probably has a few hundred MB and a hacked controller chip. 

Would explain not able to write more than a certain amount of data before the trouble starts, as the memory isn't actually there.

There are tools available to check the real capacity, but my recommendation would be to chuck it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, toast1 said:

When I go to Profile in Win10 it shows it as 2TB.

Unfortunately it's not difficult to "adjust" the flash controller chip to say anything you like, the memory just isn't there to write to.

H2testw is the de-facto standard for determining fake flash, download it here 

https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/H2testw.shtml

Run it and have dinner, it takes a long time.

Oh, and make another backup to your external hard drive ????

• Like 2

5 hours ago, toast1 said:

I tried to do chkdsk /f  z:, 

z:    should be the  letter of the drive you want to test ...anyway  it doesn't matter because 2TB for 1000 baht is a fake drive as others have already said.

run the H2testw  program  and find the real capacity of the drive then use a partition utility

www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html

or

https://www.diskpart.com/free-partition-manager.html

to delete the old partition  and make a new one to the size reported by H2testw

you might then at least get some use out of the drive,   don't use it for backing up anything important !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Is the USB memory formatted as FAT 32 (File Allocation Table 32) or NTFS (New Technology File System)?

Windows stores file metadata on NTFS using a feature known as Alternate Data Streams. That is, the metadata is stored in a different "stream" (a file system object with a different identity) than the stream which holds the file data. Since FAT32 does not support ADS, data in these alternate streams cannot be copied, and will be lost if you proceed with the copy.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f52d7b7e-f496-425a-afc2-ebdb48422a15/quotare-you-sure-you-want-to-copy-this-file-without-its-propertiesquot-warning?forum=win10itprogeneral

If you do not have any data on the thumb drive, then you can format the drive. If the data is not backed up, you need to backup the data from the memory card on to the computer hard drive and then restore it back after performing the format. Look at this post to recover data from a formatted SD card: 

http://iboysoft.com/data-recovery/format-recovery/recover-data-from-formatted-sd-card.html

Try formatting the thumb drive in NTFS format and check if the issue persists. To do so, follow these steps:

Step 1: Insert the thumb drive and go Start menu and then Computer.

Step 2: Right click on the USB memory card and click Format.

Step 3: Under "File System" select "NTFS" and then click Start. Once the format is done, check to see if you can copy the files successfully.

Hope this helps.

On 6/11/2020 at 4:55 AM, toast1 said:

Thanks for the info, can't beat Ebay, got refunds on them.

I bought Samsung Evo high capacity memory cards off an E-Bay seller and they turned out to be phony. As another said, they are easily programmed to display a false memory capacity when you open them.  

As JohnG said, "H2testW" is the best way to verify true memory capacity but to do that it has to write to every sector..Good time to read "War and Peace"

16 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If you use Windows 10 then just use File History. It's part of Windows, backs up all your documents, etc. and it is no hassle at all.

never knew about that option.  Just turned it on and backed up everything to the D drive, which was sitting there with 750GB space not being used. Thanks a lot. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Thanks 1

Just now, johng said:

Make sure that D drive is a physically different drive than the one being backed up  ie: not just  another partition ( named D) on the same HDD.

Yes it is, but thanks for the heads up. 

I am also trying to free up space from the D to add to the C but it seems to be very complicated and I am afraid of screwing up the whole thing.  

Thanks for the advice.

I've ordered a few 2TB USB memory sticks on Ebay, some were difficult to copy on to, others seemed OK, they are very cheap. 

Two had viruses on, caught by Windows, do you think they are safe to use after Quick formatting?
Windows virus does not find anything on them after format. Tried a long format but it took hours then failed.

I did not know about File History - that's something I'll try using.

Thanks

20 hours ago, toast1 said:

I've ordered a few 2TB USB memory sticks on Ebay, some were difficult to copy on to, others seemed OK, they are very cheap. 

2TB of USB costs 8,000bht+

Hard disks are just under 1,000bht/TB

If you are paying less they are fake, there's no bargains to be had.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

2TB of USB costs 8,000bht+

Hard disks are just under 1,000bht/TB

If you are paying less they are fake, there's no bargains to be had.

true enough, but the cost of originals in thailand can be considerably lower than back home so in that respect they can be bargains.

i did buy a cheap one from a market once, just to see what it was like,  it was easy to spot it was fake, broke after a couple of months. buying fakes is more often than not a false economy.

• Like 1

Couple of people have recommended File History which is part of Windows - absolutely. ????

In addition I use https://freefilesync.org/ which I choose to run manually before I log off for the day, or after doing a lot of important computing - it can be set up to run automatically.  IMO it's the best free software I've ever used.

It's a bit fiddly to set up but once it's done, it's done for good. Set it to run incremental backups so you only backup files that have actually changed since the last run

So I have an ongoing backup to an internal HDD (NOT C or D drives) using File History

And FreeFileSynch saves another copy to that drive PLUS a copy to an External (USB) drive.

People say I have OCD...cannot imagine why!  ????

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 9:58 PM, VBF said:

In addition I use https://freefilesync.org/ which I choose to run manually before I log off for the day

I have similar called "synctoy" very useful to keep and manage backups on other drives, another one I use to backup OS image from my ssd is macrium reflect (free) which is run weekly - I can recover from most failures relatively unscathed using 3 different internal drives........................macrium is superb and couldn't live without it 555

5 hours ago, smedly said:

I have similar called "synctoy" very useful to keep and manage backups on other drives, another one I use to backup OS image from my ssd is macrium reflect (free) which is run weekly - I can recover from most failures relatively unscathed using 3 different internal drives........................macrium is superb and couldn't live without it 555

I compared Synctoy with FreeFileSync and found that, for me, the features of FreeFileSync outweighed Synctoy. Same, same but different, I guess. :happy:

As for Macrium - totally agree - it's the second most useful free software I have.  There is a paid version but I can see little it has to offer over the free one. I use it to create an image of the System drive after any major update - I exclude the data from the image. Therefore I also have a way of restoring an image if I test and then uninstall new software - Restore Points, are, IMO, insufficient.

Just a thought...... the reasons that one of my FreeFileSync copies is on an external drive are:

• When I'm doing updates on the PC, I can quickly unplug it in case the update causes serious issues (Yes I'm looking at you Microsoft!)
  • If I want to copy my files to a different PC, it's easy.
Edited by VBF

5 hours ago, toast1 said:

Your first most important software?

Try reading my previous post!

You gave it a "like"

Hint...#25 ????

Edited by VBF