BANGKOK

If you use Windows 10 then just use File History. It's part of Windows, backs up all your documents, etc. and it is no hassle at all.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, dddave said:

As JohnG said, "H2testW" is the best way to verify

Actually @Crossy  suggested   H2testw first 😋

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If you use Windows 10 then just use File History. It's part of Windows, backs up all your documents, etc. and it is no hassle at all.

never knew about that option.  Just turned it on and backed up everything to the D drive, which was sitting there with 750GB space not being used. Thanks a lot. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Thanks 1

Just now, johng said:

Make sure that D drive is a physically different drive than the one being backed up  ie: not just  another partition ( named D) on the same HDD.

Yes it is, but thanks for the heads up. 

I am also trying to free up space from the D to add to the C but it seems to be very complicated and I am afraid of screwing up the whole thing.  

Thanks for the advice.

I've ordered a few 2TB USB memory sticks on Ebay, some were difficult to copy on to, others seemed OK, they are very cheap. 

Two had viruses on, caught by Windows, do you think they are safe to use after Quick formatting?
Windows virus does not find anything on them after format. Tried a long format but it took hours then failed.

I did not know about File History - that's something I'll try using.

Thanks

18 hours ago, toast1 said:

I've ordered a few 2TB USB memory sticks on Ebay, some were difficult to copy on to, others seemed OK, they are very cheap.

They are cheap because they are fake !

• Like 1

20 hours ago, toast1 said:

2TB of USB costs 8,000bht+

Hard disks are just under 1,000bht/TB

If you are paying less they are fake, there's no bargains to be had.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

2TB of USB costs 8,000bht+

Hard disks are just under 1,000bht/TB

If you are paying less they are fake, there's no bargains to be had.

true enough, but the cost of originals in thailand can be considerably lower than back home so in that respect they can be bargains.

i did buy a cheap one from a market once, just to see what it was like,  it was easy to spot it was fake, broke after a couple of months. buying fakes is more often than not a false economy.

• Like 1

Couple of people have recommended File History which is part of Windows - absolutely. 👍

In addition I use https://freefilesync.org/ which I choose to run manually before I log off for the day, or after doing a lot of important computing - it can be set up to run automatically.  IMO it's the best free software I've ever used.

It's a bit fiddly to set up but once it's done, it's done for good. Set it to run incremental backups so you only backup files that have actually changed since the last run

So I have an ongoing backup to an internal HDD (NOT C or D drives) using File History

And FreeFileSynch saves another copy to that drive PLUS a copy to an External (USB) drive.

People say I have OCD...cannot imagine why!  😳

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 9:58 PM, VBF said:

In addition I use https://freefilesync.org/ which I choose to run manually before I log off for the day

I have similar called "synctoy" very useful to keep and manage backups on other drives, another one I use to backup OS image from my ssd is macrium reflect (free) which is run weekly - I can recover from most failures relatively unscathed using 3 different internal drives........................macrium is superb and couldn't live without it 555

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, smedly said:

I have similar called "synctoy" very useful to keep and manage backups on other drives, another one I use to backup OS image from my ssd is macrium reflect (free) which is run weekly - I can recover from most failures relatively unscathed using 3 different internal drives........................macrium is superb and couldn't live without it 555

I compared Synctoy with FreeFileSync and found that, for me, the features of FreeFileSync outweighed Synctoy. Same, same but different, I guess. :happy:

As for Macrium - totally agree - it's the second most useful free software I have.  There is a paid version but I can see little it has to offer over the free one. I use it to create an image of the System drive after any major update - I exclude the data from the image. Therefore I also have a way of restoring an image if I test and then uninstall new software - Restore Points, are, IMO, insufficient.

Just a thought...... the reasons that one of my FreeFileSync copies is on an external drive are:

• When I'm doing updates on the PC, I can quickly unplug it in case the update causes serious issues (Yes I'm looking at you Microsoft!)
  • If I want to copy my files to a different PC, it's easy.
Edited by VBF

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, toast1 said:

Your first most important software?

Try reading my previous post!

You gave it a "like"

Hint...#25 😊

Edited by VBF