New Roi-Et tower hits high note on Isaan skyline

webfact

New Roi-Et tower hits high note on Isaan skyline

By THE NATION

800_60d9efd6f8cbd5f.jpg?v=1591193320

Construction of the new landmark rising in the Northeast province of Roi Et province is more than 90 per cent complete. The Roi-Et 101 Tower will open to visitors before the end of 2020, giving them a bird’s-eye view of the provincial capital, said city mayor Banchong Kositchiranan.

Known in Thai as Hor Wot, the tower takes its distinctive shape from the wot, or panpipes used in the traditional music of Isaan. The Roi-Et 101 is being built as part of the city’s development strategy to attract tourists, and will also feature a zipline, restaurant and local museum.

Located in Somdet Phra Srinagarindra Park, Mueang district, The tower soars to 101 metres, or 35 floors. Construction work on the 35th floor has been completed, with only the finishing touches to be applied.

Construction began in 2017 with a government budget of Bt341.8 million, allocated through the Department of Local Administration.

Visitors will get to look down on Roi Et city from observation decks on floors 28 to 34, while the 35th floor will be used to enshrine Roi Et’s sacred Buddha statue.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30389014

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-04

17 minutes ago, 19DL86 said:

A set of ladders would have served the same purpose 1,000Bt from Home Pro.

Not if the purpose of the exercise were to line the pockets of influential persons.

It's like the project to build a museum in each of Bangkok's 50 districts.  The one in my district is absolutely massive, but I can't think for the life of me what they'd put in it.  It's not as if the district has any history of note.  It was all rice fields until a few years ago.  The only logical reason for the project that I can think of is that it provides massive opportunities for individuals to further enrich themselves through corruption.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I didn't realize, the name and height of the planned tower is related to the name of the city/province itself...

The name of the province literally means 'one hundred and one' (Thai: ร้อยเอ็ด; RTGSroi et ). Correctly, the number should be "eleven" (Thai: สิบเอ็ด; RTGSsip et ), as the province was named after its eleven ancient gates built for its eleven vassal states. In ancient times, the number "eleven" was written "๑๐๑" (101) and the provincial name was written accordingly. Later, people took "๑๐๑" to mean 'one hundred and one' and have since then called it "Roi Et".[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roi_Et_Province

• Like 2