All four Minneapolis police officers charged in George Floyd death

webfact

1 hour ago, curious297 said:

Everyone seems to be missing the main point. Where is the "supposed" counterfeit bill? Either Floyd or the shopkeeper had it. A simple scan of the money would prove whether the money was fake or not although, it would not prove that Floyd intentionally tried to spend it knowing it was fake. So, where is it??? My guess it should be with Floyd as there would be a different scene if the shopkeeper tried to keep it.

I seem to recall it being reported that the $ bill in question was actually genuine 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, curious297 said:

Everyone seems to be missing the main point. Where is the "supposed" counterfeit bill? Either Floyd or the shopkeeper had it. A simple scan of the money would prove whether the money was fake or not although, it would not prove that Floyd intentionally tried to spend it knowing it was fake. So, where is it??? My guess it should be with Floyd as there would be a different scene if the shopkeeper tried to keep it.

As someone else already said, the allegedly counterfeit bill is not really the main point but it was kept by the shop - the employee who accepted it didn't notice until later that it seemed suspicious. As they said, normally someone who passes a counterfeit bill that isn't detected immediately, would have been long gone but for some reason Floyd hung around outside the shop and so was still there when the police arrived.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

I don't think he was trying to kill him

The guy was 6 foot 6 and a big unit

Poor technique and excessive force. The other cops should have been checking to make sure he was ok, Chauvin couldn't see his face

He had a camera on him all the time in broad daylight, he obviously didn't believe he was killing him

So the words "he has no pulse", followed by 2 more minutes on his neck...that is all just a coincidense?

Yeah...right!

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

As someone else already said, the allegedly counterfeit bill is not really the main point but it was kept by the shop - the employee who accepted it didn't notice until later that it seemed suspicious. As they said, normally someone who passes a counterfeit bill that isn't detected immediately, would have been long gone but for some reason Floyd hung around outside the shop and so was still there when the police arrived.

The bill wasn't counterfeit , he had no need to disappear quickly 

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Well yes, murder is always wrong, especially murder by the police, but race does matter.

Until the advent of the Black Lives Matter movement there was no systematic collection of data on the race of people killed by the police.

The data is essential to understand the systematic racism that is behind Black Americans being killed by police at three times the rate per capita as White Americans.

What a load of BS, you can't just use those factors

You need to add in other factors like % of prison population & number of cops killed by blacks

You can dress it up how you want but in the general crux of things the figures for all creeds is very low as a % of the population

I bet if you asked those morons at the protests how many unarmed blacks were killed in 2019, they would say thousands, they are absolutely clueless

You have an absolutely minuscule chance of being killed by a cop if you are unarmed, whatever race you are. 

10 blacks last year, and only 1 cop charged with murder. The others were self defence

However, 99% of lìbtards refuse to deal in facts or logic 

btw 5 black people have been killed by the rioting mob in the last week

Edited by Canuck1966
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cyril sneer said:

liberals hate statistics, waste of time using them to back up an argument

The evidence of this thread does not back up your assertion.

If you are going to quote statistics, make sure you understand them.

If you don’t understand statistics but quite them all the same,  don’t worry, those of us who do understand will explain them to you.

Refer above for example.

• Like 2

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

It seems even simple math like 3x as likely to be killed per capita confounds you.

Yeh of course it does

You are using a very simplistic method

I will put all that data into excel, then pivot tables and produce a nice chart for you

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Having the data to back up my arguments is the antithesis of ‘self opinionated’.

This whole topic is about UNARMED killings, not all killings

You are conflating the issue

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, The Barmbeker said:

You "assume"!

Great!

Now please "assume" something up about 8 minutes of constantly applied pressure on the neck of Floyd, plus  2 more minutes, after he was unresponsive (before he was screaming and groaning, remember?) and without pulse!

How all came to be will become more important as trial starts, videos clearly show Floyd causing problems inside car.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Good to hear all four will be charged. 

Though I have concerns that second degree murder can be proved.

The cop is undoubtedly a thug whose actions are directly responsible for George Floyds death, but I seriously doubt he intended to kill him. 

What's the difference between second and third degree murder?

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

If i were the head of the Minneapolis law enforcement associations i would call to a resignation en mass to protest the murder charges on 4 police men, you can't have police men punting their lives on the line day and night day in and out dealing with criminals only to be charged with murder, yes they have stepped their enforcement boundaries but murder charge to appease millions of looters and lynch mob this is over kill... 

You really are a sick man. The cop murdered the black fellow in cold blood. Never at any time was the cop under any threat to his safety.

It is not ok to kill black people even if you think it is.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Good to hear all four will be charged. 

Though I have concerns that second degree murder can be proved.

The cop is undoubtedly a thug whose actions are directly responsible for George Floyds death, but I seriously doubt he intended to kill him. 

I agree. Stupid and thoughtless but murder?  manslaughter I'd have thought.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BobBKK said:

I agree. Stupid and thoughtless but murder?  manslaughter I'd have thought.

Manslaughter is still murder, I think it all comes down to degree of intent. However I am not a lawyer or law student.

Edited by Bluespunk

5 hours ago, Sujo said:

Bottom line is the officer used a technique that is not authorised on a guy that was not resisting for 8 minutes, and 2 minutes after being told he was unresponsive.

so bottom line is officer rightly charged.

Btw, there is no law that says you have to respect police, and why would they get respect the way they act.

you have a burglary and don't bother calling them then after all you don't respect them 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

you have a burglary and don't bother calling them then after all you don't respect them 

Why. I expect them to do their job. I dont have to respect them for it.

I dont respect politicians but i ecpect them to do their job.

1 minute ago, Sujo said:

Murder is intent.

manslaughter is no intent.

You punch someone and he hits his head on a table and dies it is not murder because your intent was not to kill. Manslaughter.

You could say the same for the officer but....his actions can be seen as intent after he was told the guy was non responsive yet still had him for another 2 minutes. A reasonable person would consider that further action could cause death. So that can bump it up to murder.

Murder 1 would be premeditated, or planned. Not the case here. So murder 2 it is.

You can argue that but the site I quote is quite clear.

Manslaughter is murder without intent.