All four Minneapolis police officers charged in George Floyd death

webfact

8 hours ago, Sujo said:

Police above the law. Great.

I have never known a policeman who DID NOT think he was above the law.  Personality profiles for the average cop are terrifying. Vicious control freaks with a God complex, who think the public is out of control. I even saw this with a black cop I worked with briefly. Worst racial sell-out, I have ever encountered.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

I did not say anyone"here" was saying he was a good guy . but his family have ,or as his son said"my dad changed the world"???? well his being in it has certainly messed parts of it up big time .and as i have always said ,that cop deserves everything he gets ,

Right, so his son and his family saw some good in him.

Is that it?!

It will be interesting once the trial starts for these 4 murderers what kind of sympathy and sob stories the defense will have for these cops. All I know is that if the conviction is wrong or not fair then America as you know it will never be the same as you might as well change their name to Unites States of Iraq.

Edited by time2093
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You do realize this is a discussion forum?

How can i ever discuss anything with anyone ,when i am always right?????

ps. i have to go now ,she who must be obeyed is calling , and its easier to pretend she is right ????

Edited by bert bloggs

1 hour ago, Tug said:

Cops are hired to uphold laws and keep the peace they aren’t hired to murder handcuffed people it doesent matter if Floyd was resisting he was cuffed and no(deleted) threat that’s why folks are (deleted)off no excuses none nada zip zilch it’s got to stop I know beeing a good cop is a tough job if a person isent up to it quit or get rid of them

More than that, they wield powers of the State.

Which raises a question, why all of a sudden are the rightwing who so frequently rant about the evils of the State to have power over individuals now defending an agent of the state murdering a citizen?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

More than that, they wield powers of the State.

Which raises a question, why all of a sudden are the rightwing who so frequently rant about the evils of the State to have power over individuals now defending an agent of the state murdering a citizen?

just before i go ,i am not defending him ,he is a piece of you know what he deserves all he gets ,

9 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Statistics can show anything when presented in isolation. Based on incarcerated rates, this would imply that blacks have many, many more interactions with police (per capita) than whites, and a correspondingly higher death rate. Death rates above have a ratio of about 1 to 2, but incarcerated rates are 7 to 1.

514px-USA_2009._Percent_of_adult_males_incarcerated_by_race_and_ethnicity.svg.png

6 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Degree of intent I think, but others have since said, that might not be the case here

As I understand it, in Minesota, if a person is killed while the accused is committing another crime against that person, then the correct charge is 2nd degree. In using excessive force and assaulting Floyd, Chauvin had a duty of care (!) not to kill himas well.  In failing to do that, he becomes liable to be charged with 2nd degree.  Or something like that.  In UK would most likely be a manslaughter charge.

Of course, the charge could yet be reduced as new evidence arises, or by plea bargain, or he could be found guilt of a lesser charge...

PH

6 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

Statistics can show anything when presented in isolation. Based on incarcerated rates, this would imply that blacks have many, many more interactions with police (per capita) than whites, and a correspondingly higher death rate. Death rates above have a ratio of about 1 to 2, but incarcerated rates are 7 to 1.

514px-USA_2009._Percent_of_adult_males_incarcerated_by_race_and_ethnicity.svg.pngp

Top graph sir, that makes all the difference!!! In colour too.

5 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

514px-USA_2009._Percent_of_adult_males_incarcerated_by_race_and_ethnicity.svg.png

Well yeh!

6 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

What's the difference between second and third degree murder?

2nd degree is "unintentional", causing death while in the commission of a felony. Example is killing instead of harming a victim. There is 2nd degree with "intention" but does not apply in this case

3rd degree involves death while committing any action or act and takes "depraved indifference" into consideration. An example is the cop Derek Chauvin should have known his actions could be dangerous and cause death to the suspect (G Floyd).

Different states have differing degrees of mental and physical input to reach the definition of the class of murder. I have used minnesota statutes.

actus reus / mens reus

Edited by i84teen

11 hours ago, dexterm said:

I think very damaging to their defense is the main perp kept his knee on Floyd's neck for a further 2 minutes when Floyd was unresponsive and the other cops could not feel a pulse. Pretty incriminating demonstration of his intention. Damning for the other cops too when they did nothing to stop the murder.

Correct , they are all guilty .

Thank God , we were born white..

Obama , did well , to be a white man's President , in America .

Good golfer ,  he played the white man's game, and won .

As for Trump ,  he's  History , asap ..

Edited by elliss

The "problem" is, if those guys deserve to be arrested, then I would say about 98% of the entire police force deserves it to. Do any of us really think almost every cop hasn't looked the other way to protect other cops? You can't be a cop unless you protect other cops, even the bad ones. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:
14 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

to stop the protests?

wonder what the charge would have been if the victim was white

No protests and no arrests, I doubt we would have heard about it had Floyd been white.

Tony Timpa was killed by Dallas Police in 2016 in a similar manner with police kneeling on him until he stopped breathing and died.
He screamed “You’re going to kill me.” And they did. As he lay dead, they cracked jokes. There were no riots. Little coverage. He was white.
Warning - disturbing video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c-E_i8Q5G0

15 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Good to hear all four will be charged. 

Though I have concerns that second degree murder can be proved.

The cop is undoubtedly a thug whose actions are directly responsible for George Floyds death, but I seriously doubt he intended to kill him. 

First degree murder is with intent to kill, second and third degree isn’t.

23 minutes ago, Pique Dard said:

no of course not! he was just having fun especially when george was screaming " i can't breathe"!

Partially quoting to make out I am defending the cop.

Deary deary me

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I said that.

To be clear, 2nd degree murder has both intentional and unintentional statutes and Chauvin is charged with 2 murder counts,  one of which is:

Second Degree Murder - Unintentional - While Committing A Felony (Minnesota Statute: 609.19.2(1)). He has an additional count of 2nd degree manslaughter and one count of 3rd degree murder as well. What differentiates 2nd degree from 1st degree is premeditation, NOT intent.

Interesting that some legal experts insist there is a strong likelihood of a guilty verdict for 1st degree murder charge in this case.

Anyways, not necessary to prove intent based on the 2nd degree murder charge in this case.

Edited by i84teen
  • Confused 1