Huge crowds descend on Bang Saen: Local district chief orders roads and sois closed

webfact

31 minutes ago, sungod said:

But apparently many experts on here say Thailand does not need a songkran holiday weekend.....

Many "experts" also claim that people from Bangkok wouldn't drive to Pattaya to go to the beach either.

Saw similar photos of Bang Saen on Richard Barrow's twitter feed yesterday. Was going to post them but didn't want to bother starting a new thread and because they didn't specifically, to the letter, refer to the OP in other beach related threads (even Bang Saen ones), I didn't want to post them there either.

Seeing that much traffic mid-week is a bit of a surprise but maybe it shows there are so many people out of work right now that they have time to go to the beach (and no, not everyone that works in the "tourism industry" is automatically too poor to buy a bowl of rice let alone drive to a beach just because there are very few foreign tourists left in the country). I have a number of friends that have had their bars/restaurants/hotels shut for months now and they still go out and about to do things like ride 160 kms to go for lunch then ride back.

Waiting to hear (from Bang Saen) another tirade about garbage on the beach any time now !

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Many "experts" also claim that people from Bangkok wouldn't drive to Pattaya to go to the beach either.

Of course they would. The 'experts' must not have ever gone up on the flyover at a weekend to see all the vehicles tailing back that had come down the motorway.

57 minutes ago, sungod said:

But apparently many experts on here say Thailand does not need a songkran holiday weekend.....

I'm confused with the confused reactions, just looking at pictures of lots of people enjoying a holiday.

A long weekend with most things open is a good way to help the economy. There is still people with money, they need to get them out to spend it. Those vendors who earned nothing over months had a bumper day.

The only people who seem to be objecting is grumpy old pensioners on TV, with some source of income already. Seems very selfish to me.

• Like 2

Amazing! As soon as something returns to normal, then people have to run like crazy. It´s the same thing that it has always been. Nothing new. Why do people have to be so weak, just for being forced to be away for a while. Hillarious! Same with alcohol, and same with everything. People just can´t control their urges.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, sungod said:

The only people who seem to be objecting is grumpy old pensioners on TV, with some source of income already. Seems very selfish to me.

I suspect many of them are jealous.
Either of the people who have the money and are able to enjoy such things, or about all them "other people" using "their" beach that they seem to think should be reserved personally for themselves.

No worries. Once the bars open and they can spend their days getting reacquainted with their favourite barstool while watching "footie" matches (on someone else's cable), they'll settle down.

When is the next holiday weekend anyways ? Looks like it isn't until July ? (5/6/7 July it looks like.)

I would expect the weekend crowds to be much heavier than pictured in the OP and on the next holiday weekend (barring any changes/closures/new lockdowns of course) it will be totally crazy.

More so as that long weekend in the first week of July is when they are also proposing to have "Songkran" !

7 minutes ago, canopus1969 said:

Seeing that much traffic mid-week is a bit of a surprise  - no surprise at all, it was a Pubic Holiday !

Ah OK. Missed that. It was the birthday of the new Queen. 

Now that you mention it, I think I did see a (single) reference to Wednesday being a holiday but didn't pay attention because pretty much everyday is a holiday to me nowadays !

Well, that explains the mid-week traffic ! I wonder how many of them actually went to the beach and how many ended up stopping somewhere to eat and then driving home.

(The guys I ride with are like that. All Thais. We'll ride somewhere a couple hours away maybe, sit at a restaurant near a beach, have something to eat then ride all the way back without ever setting foot on the sand.)

Bang Saen beach draws estimated 5,000 visitors

By THE NATION

800_5f23b43f41519c4.png?v=1591236190

Thousands of visitors thronged Bang Saen beach in Chonburi province on Wednesday (June 3), which was a national holiday to celebrate HM Queen Suthida's birthday.

The renowned tourist attraction was reopened to the public on Monday (June 1) following more than two months of lockdown during the Covid-19 outbreak.

Police officers as well as staff from local administrative agencies were dispatched to regulate traffic near the beach areas which were packed with tourist vehicles and caused more than two kilometres of congestion. They estimated that there were at least 5,000 visitors visiting the beach on Wednesday.

159118119754.jpg

Police from Saen Suk Station said that food vendors and canvas beds are still not allowed on the beach, but people still poured in with their own mats and picnic baskets. Sale and consumption of alcohol is also prohibited. “We have dispatched officials to advice visitors to the beach to maintain social distance and wear masks to prevent the spread of Covid-19,” said one of the police officers.

Chonburi has reported zero cases of Covid-19 for 40 days.

159118119750.jpg

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30389027

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-04

3 hours ago, sungod said:

Pensioners? You know these posters personally?

You're going to be an old fart one day.

5 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Amazing! As soon as something returns to normal, then people have to run like crazy. It´s the same thing that it has always been. Nothing new. Why do people have to be so weak, just for being forced to be away for a while. Hillarious! Same with alcohol, and same with everything. People just can´t control their urges.

Up to them. I am more interested in my behaviors.

22 hours ago, webfact said:

The chief of Saensuk district that runs Bang Saen beach in Chonburi went on Facebook yesterday to announce road closures after huge traffic jams were experienced as vast crowds descended on the area on Wednesday.

Either working or unemployed they wanted to get out of the house for the day, trouble was so a million others had the same idea.

22 hours ago, Matzzon said:

buddha is that you ? 

1 hour ago, mr mr said:

buddha is that you ? 

Why do you feel the need to show such disrespect to the buddhist belief? Is that just your general way of behaviour?

My post have nothing to do with that. I do not care about if you are an ateist or belongs to another religion. You have no right to disrespect another belief, just because of that.

Second, why do you bring things into a topic that does not belong there?

• Sad 3

23 hours ago, Matzzon said:

I am sure we are all glad that you can.......????

• Thanks 1

On 6/4/2020 at 9:45 AM, canopus1969 said:

Seeing that much traffic mid-week is a bit of a surprise  - no surprise at all, it was a Pubic Holiday !

Pubic holiday........................?????   Hair today, gone tomorrow??  :whistling:

On 6/5/2020 at 9:06 AM, Matzzon said:

Why do you feel the need to show such disrespect to the buddhist belief? Is that just your general way of behaviour?

My post have nothing to do with that. I do not care about if you are an ateist or belongs to another religion. You have no right to disrespect another belief, just because of that.

Second, why do you bring things into a topic that does not belong there?

on the contrary i have every right to disrespect any and all beliefs. your post reeks of nihilism. 

why do you feel the need to show such disrespect to so many members on this site ? is that just your general way of behaviour ? 

• Haha 2