Prachuap: German retiree caught on 2,528 day overstay

webfact

3 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Thanks Mr Moose. Moving forward, Michael can work at reducing the period of his ban. Once his Government pension is in place he will be in a much better position.

Is that fact? How does that work then?

21 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

True, I don't think the ban is dependent on financial means. I doubt that this guy will ever visit Thailand again.

I thought a ban was just that. Non-negotiable.

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Does bladdered mean drunk? I thought you knew I'm a life long non drinker. But I did drive a new truck out of province and after dark knowing it's against the law. That's me being a free spirit and ignoring stupid laws.

Yes, and you are quite clearly ignoring this forums *Off-topic* rules , but, you dont care about rules and laws 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

My god mate.

You have been on lock-down to long.

Any idea how many Thai's are driving with NO licenses and insurance?

You need to get new perspective on life, it can't be all that bad for you now can it?

I think you don't understand what will happen in case of an accident if you drive illegally. The insurance very likely will not pay anything. I will not copy such people. In my eyes such people are not very clever and create their own problems. But it is shocking to see how many people blame me here because I don't do illegal things. And there is no need to try to insult me... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/4/2020 at 4:57 AM, Mister T said:

He is a well liked man, has always gone out of his way to help people, both Thai and foreigner. Most of us knew of his visa situation, so I doubt he was grassed up.

Why is it relevant that he was well liked? Especially the "pillar of the community" (and I mean the ACTUAL pillars, not the local rich guy, who donates generously to charity and what not to catch a tax break and maintain an outwardly good image) types always have someone who hates them.

Often enough it's a so called friend. Doesn't have to be though, of course. Plenty of motives, in such cases. Jealousy, spite, etc. Some people just simply have a very strict sense of order (in the sense of "the law is the law, and the law/authority must be obeyed"). As a German, the man in question should be able to relate. Even if not personally, his experience growing up etc. in Germany should be enough. Not a stereotype either, but an archetype. I should know, I am Austro-German. Both Austria and Germany are full of such people, especially the older generations, and it's a character trait that makes for excellent and reliable snitches, who don#t even feel like they're doing anything bad.

It's why first the Prussian Police, then the Gestapa (contrary to popular belief, the actual acronym was GeStaPA - Geheimes Staatspolizei Amt) and finally the MfS (Ministerium für Staatssicherheit aka Ministry of State Security, more commonly known as the Stasi) worked so extremely well. The German (again, more so the older generations, rather than the current one) are snitches par excellence. So if he lived in an expat community, it wouldn't surprise me at all, if it was a fellow German or Austrian.

Of course there are people like this everywhere, and especially those from countries where more authoritarian systems have been entrenched for a long time and/or military coups/rule are the "norm", are also more susceptible to act like this.

I applaud him for being a good man, and doing a lot for his community. However it does not excuse what he did. I am too lazy to do the actual math, but thumb x Pi (German phrase for "roughly calculated") I think it's a little over 6 years and 10 months!? He already had a retirement visa, so what stopped him from renewing it?? He must have known, that eventually they would come for him. The wheels of justice turn slow... but they do turn.

MAYBE because he was such a well liked member of the community, they even gave him several warnings etc. to renew it? It surprises me, that it did take them so long, unless he constantly moved around and thus they wouldn't have had an adress for him, since his last visa? Especially in this climate, of find the overstay/illegally employed farang.

In either case, I don't feel any sympathy here. He has obviously been in Thailand long enough, to know better. It sucks for him, but it's another one of those things, that are completly infathomable to me. I understand he is your friend, or at least an acquaintance, so I do wish him luck for the future, as well as hope that you won't repeat his mistakes.

On 6/4/2020 at 2:10 PM, Oldie said:

Honestly not. I would not like to be your friend. In my whole life I always tried to be correct. I am not young anymore and I made many mistakes. The strange thing is that they are the only things I still can remember very clearly. 

Bist du zufällig Deutscher??? Das klingt SO EXTREM Deutsch, insbesonders die Formulierung "I always tried to be correct".

(For the non Germans/German speakers, I asked if he's German, as this sentence sounds so extremely German, specifically the way he phrased "I've always tried to act in a correct manner". Sidenote: To me it reads as translated word for word from GErman to English, while staying in German sentence structure, and when I read the text, I could almost hear him say it in German. I found it somewhat amusing, so I just had to ask.)

In either case, I had to smirk after reading some of your posts, after the one I quoted. They're very similar (almost identical) to my first (or some of my very first) posts on this message board. I am often on the brink of losing all faith in humanity, so I wanted to thank you for reassuring me, that I'm not all alone with some aspects of my moral compass. I do fear however, that we are the last of a dying breed (though hopefully I still have a few decades to go).

I hope things do turn out okay, for your friend Michael. I can't and won't condone his overstay (especially not an almost 7 year overstay), as there's not much I dislike more than illegal immigrants, especially if A) they're my own kind and B) they most likely had the means to stay legally. But that doesn't mean that I wish him ill either. I hope he can readjust to life in Germany quickly. I won't bother to say anything about you not repeating his mistake, since your comments (if they're truthful, that is) make it redundant to do so.

Glad to see also, that I'm not the only Kraut here. Hau rein, Alter/Oldie!

********** Disclaimer: Below this line is a somewhat lenghty reply to Kerryd's quote, which is somewhat OffTopic, therefore do not bother to read, if you're only here for the topic itself ******

On 6/4/2020 at 8:58 AM, Kerryd said:

We've had people fight extradition orders in Canada all the way to the Supreme Court ! Every time one court ordered an extradition, the lawyers appealed it to a higher court and, for some reason, every time it went to appeal, the extradition order was overturned but when it went back to court it was upheld.
Took almost 10 years before they finally sent the guy back to Thailand to face the music !

While this sucks, it is better than what happens with deportations in Austria, Germany, etc. And yes, I am aware that deportation does not equal extradition, just saying in general...

People come on false claims of asylum, knowing they would never receive a regular visa. The process already usually takes up to 3 years, due to the system being so overly clogged by them. So when finally they are turned down, due to not qualifying (they're not in danger, no one is "after them", they're not from a "war zone" - i.e. starting from around 2014-2015 onwards it became "chique" for Moroccans, Algerians, etc. to burn their passports before crossing the Med, and using the fact that they're native Arabic speakers, to claim they're Syrians... usually taken at face value [translators cost money, especially native speakers who can tell regional/country dialects apart...] it often takes years to discover them, if ever) years have already passed.

In the meantime, they've been living in asylum centers, which are often run by the goodest of the do-gooders / Gutmenschen (please google it, I already feel like wretching just thinking about the definition/the people themselves) and organizations like Caritas, other Catholic organisations and their Lutheran-Protestant equivalents (which enrages me even more, as - thanks to laws going back to Hitler and the Pope making nice, which stayed in place once Germany/the Germanies and Austria were re-established - both denominations have to pay church tax, thus I am helping finance this). The latter of which (Caritas especially) have thick bankrolls, and thus can afford the "best"/sneakiest lawyer slime balls, specialized in human rights, asylum law, etc., who know every trick in the book, every loop hole, etc. to drag the process out as long as possible, putting in motions, delaying, obstructing, going into revision, objecting, counter motion, and of course appeal, appeal, appeal, all the way to the Constitutional Court (the equivalent of the Supreme Court in the US or High Court in the UK, though not 100% sure on the latter)....

So by the time the Const. Court will have reached a decision, which will eat up yet more time and resources (both of the church tax and donations by Christians + the government's budget via extreme court costs, housing, feeding and clothing costs, welfare, health insurance, etc.), said person will have lived here for AT LEAST 3-5 years (sometimes longer). Usually the court rules in accordance with the law, which means deportation. As soon as the case is closed, a new one will open. This time, it's no longer about asylum, but about human rights, etc.

The argument is pretty standard: The person has been here for x amount of years, it would be "unjust" and "cruel" to deport them now, as they've already "built a life here" (on papa state's/the taxpayer's dime), has "intricate social contacts/relationships here", etc.

Long story short, for humanitarian reasons and to avoid "cruel and unjust" treatment of said person, they will be allowed to stay. Great, isn't it?

We can argue the ethics of it all day, but it makes a mockery of the justice system, of a state's will and ability to enforce it's rule of law, defend it's borders and it's sovereignty (which the person has clearly shown to have zero respect for), and more importantly it's a spit in the face of all the tax payers (not just the ones paying church tax either, but them especially, as 9 out of 10 itmes the person profitting is a Muslim, and a significant percentage of them does not look so kindly upon the people who essentially financed his stay of deportation, in reciprocity..), of all those who really do need asylum (and are stuck in the system for years, because of the aforementioned) and finally of those far more valuable immigrants, who applied for a visa, waited patiently for who knows how long, often paid significant (to them anyway) amounts of money during the process, bothered not only to either learn a valuable trade or get an education, but even learn to READ (people would be surprised to know, how many of those who came in the 2015 wave alone were/are analphabets) and WRITE...

Who either have to be in a essential position, OR have to PROVE ability to have learned our language to an ever increasing degree, when renewing their visas, whereas aforementioned may fail the BASIC German language class multiple times, with zero consequences if he/she fails (each time the class/course costs money of course).

And there are PLENTY who've already been here 5+ years and STILL can't speak more than a handful of phrases, and struggle even with those, yet bitch and moan about "racism" and about being "excluded"... Not sure on how one is supposed to communicate with them, as often they can't speak English either, but they DO know the "important" stuff, like "Ficki Ficki", which is essentially a grammatically terrible and extremely primitive form of "boom boom".

So while the process you described is pretty bad, take comfort in the fact that a) ultimately the extradition happened and b) it could be far, FAR worse.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, FarangULong said:

Glad to see also, that I'm not the only Kraut here. Hau rein, Alter/Oldie!

Jawoll. Ich tue was ich kann...

I don't care about this guy. I am just wondering how much understanding some people have for such guys. But in the end I am busy with other things - obeying the laws for instance. ???? Next week I have to do my 90 day report for my bank account balance and pretty soon I have to renew both Thai driving licenses. It gets extremely on my nerves but it is my duty. I lived in different countries and I always obeyed. For instance I have driving licenses from 5 different countries - but some expired already. For every country I always had the correct visas too. I always tried to be "correct". Wish you a great day! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Oldie said:

Jawoll. Ich tue was ich kann...

I don't care about this guy. I am just wondering how much understanding some people have for such guys. But in the end I am busy with other things - obeying the laws for instance. ???? Next week I have to do my 90 day report for my bank account balance and pretty soon I have to renew both Thai driving licenses. It gets extremely on my nerves but it is my duty. I lived in different countries and I always obeyed. For instance I have driving licenses from 5 different countries - but some expired already. For every country I always had the correct visas too. I always tried to be "correct". Wish you a great day! 

Sorry then, I was skimming over the posts, and must have mixed up your comment with somebody else's + the way you phrased your sentence, making me think you're German also. And definitely agree, he should have been deported. He's the type of immigrant, that makes it harder on everyone else, esp. in the current climate.

I'm a "law abiding citizen" too. I wasn't always, but whatever. But it is unfortunately a thing with Germans etc. that they have a tendency to be "Wamser" / "Ausrichter", and love to threaten with or actually do "Anzeige", preferably anonymous, especially after initially running their mouth, and then realizing that it could get physical.

It's one of the (few) things I hate about us.

On another note, it seems to me that you've been in LOS for a long while. If so, might I pm and ask a few questions? Nothing personal, just a few general inquiries about a thing or two?

2 minutes ago, FarangULong said:

Sorry then, I was skimming over the posts, and must have mixed up your comment with somebody else's + the way you phrased your sentence, making me think you're German also. And definitely agree, he should have been deported. He's the type of immigrant, that makes it harder on everyone else, esp. in the current climate.

I'm a "law abiding citizen" too. I wasn't always, but whatever. But it is unfortunately a thing with Germans etc. that they have a tendency to be "Wamser" / "Ausrichter", and love to threaten with or actually do "Anzeige", preferably anonymous, especially after initially running their mouth, and then realizing that it could get physical.

It's one of the (few) things I hate about us.

On another note, it seems to me that you've been in LOS for a long while. If so, might I pm and ask a few questions? Nothing personal, just a few general inquiries about a thing or two?

You are right. I speak the German language. It is my native language. Feel free to send me a PM. I have been here more than 2 decades but this is no guarantee that I can help. But I will try. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/3/2020 at 9:26 PM, petermik said:

Silly <deleted>....he got a retirement extension then never bothered to renew it...no sympathy sorry :whistling:

I missed the post where he or anyone else inquired about whether you were sympathetic. We all know you lack empathy so no need to waste our reading time in the future with your no sympathy posts. ????

5 hours ago, BradWilkins said:

Will probably find it difficult to afford being back in Germany unless he has a large nest egg or can get on the pension quickly. Guess he was running some sort of business in Thailand to stay that long from age 57.

I don't want to write what I think about Farangs that are doing business here without the correct (or even any) visa and without any work permit because then some will even hate me more ????

• Sad 1