Prachuap: German retiree caught on 2,528 day overstay

webfact

10 minutes ago, Oldie said:

I don't want to write what I think about Farangs that are doing business here without the correct (or even any) visa and without any work permit because then some will even hate me more ????

Quite agree old chap....such people should be sent to the gallows.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/6/2020 at 6:26 PM, CorpusChristie said:

I disagree , the Germans that I've met in Thailand (and in Germany ) have been nice friendly people  , quite intelligent as well . 

"Getting physical ? " See my fellow brits about that ????

They are nice, friendly people, and usually far better behaved as tourists and ex-pats. Definitely nothing like the English (well, except the "Malle" [Mallorca] crowd, they're like a seperate ethnicity almost). That being said not all English are like that either (chavy, plebeians, or whatever), and I owe quite a bit to certain English people, who took a chance on me and hired me, etc. I did live on the end of a council estate road though (just outside of it, cul de sac where the dead end part was private residences), and have been on lower end holidays with mixed German-English crowds, so I do know what you're getting at ???? .

You misunderstood what I was saying. I mean that there are people who get upset easily (sometimes over small things, due to the overly developped "orderliness" sense), and then talk all kinds of <deleted>, and even threaten violence. But when they catch the wrong person, who will then step up to them, it quickly turns into backing off and threatening to call Police/pressing charges. Of course not everyone is like that, obviously. Probably not even the majority. It's just that in the sort of lines of work I used to do, I was confronted with those sort of people one too many times.

And the snitch thing is extremely wide spread. That doesn't make them unfriendly, or even bad people. It's just a character trait, especially within certain age groups (ie the hanging by the window all day, but not just them).

Edited by FarangULong
About the English....
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, pineapple01 said:

There are some sad n lonely folks here who can use an old Fellow Mans downfall in this case to  extol their own prima donna virtues. Load of Rubbish, but i hope that Khama thing happens to them.  

What does him acting like that, and giving the government and their media outlets yet more ammunition, have to do with "virtue extolling"? You act as if he did nothing wrong.

It just so happens, that some of us can't stand illegals. I even explained why (in part) in one of the comments I wrote on this thread. In a nutshell, they make <deleted> harder for the valuable and legal immigrants, make it easier on those who hate immigrants already to keep on hating them, and might even give a nudge to those sitting on the fence.

Good for him, that he was a "valued member of the community". That doesn't give him a free pass to overstay for almost 6 years though. We all make mistakes, nobody is perfect. But there's a difference in making a slightly bad choice or a mistake, and deliberately doing that. Am I supposed to feel bad for idiots? He already had a legitimite retirement visa beforehand, he could have probably gotten another one. And if not, well then he should have left. It's that simply, really.

Laws are laws, and if we started making excuses and exceptions for the "small" infractions, eventually the line will get blurrier and blurrier. As long as it's not an outright oppressive or criminal law, it needs to be enforced, end of story.

• Like 1

Hmmm.... good to see he’s wearing a face mask.Couldnt have a man ( read “alien” ) guilty of such a heinous immigration crime spreading co-vid 19 to the “police” who are protecting the community from the aforesaid criminal ?

On 6/7/2020 at 6:28 PM, FarangULong said:

What does him acting like that, and giving the government and their media outlets yet more ammunition, have to do with "virtue extolling"? You act as if he did nothing wrong.

It just so happens, that some of us can't stand illegals. I even explained why (in part) in one of the comments I wrote on this thread. In a nutshell, they make <deleted> harder for the valuable and legal immigrants, make it easier on those who hate immigrants already to keep on hating them, and might even give a nudge to those sitting on the fence.

Good for him, that he was a "valued member of the community". That doesn't give him a free pass to overstay for almost 6 years though. We all make mistakes, nobody is perfect. But there's a difference in making a slightly bad choice or a mistake, and deliberately doing that. Am I supposed to feel bad for idiots? He already had a legitimite retirement visa beforehand, he could have probably gotten another one. And if not, well then he should have left. It's that simply, really.

Laws are laws, and if we started making excuses and exceptions for the "small" infractions, eventually the line will get blurrier and blurrier. As long as it's not an outright oppressive or criminal law, it needs to be enforced, end of story.

He did the crime,now has got to do the time.

• Like 1

There used to be a time when harmless Farang illegals were looked on by Thais with a sort of paternalistic amusement - "oh, he fell in love with a Thai woman", "oh, he loves Thailand so much". They even took a kind of pride in it. Times change. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 1:49 AM, Bender Rodriguez said:

do thais have to do the IO dance each year in our country? should they show 10x in savings the annual income of a poor farmer ?

But Thais usually don't go to your country for sex orgy, or seeking bride, or as an econimic advanged migrant to your country. 

22 hours ago, Mulambana said:

But Thais usually don't go to your country for sex orgy, or seeking bride, or as an econimic advanged migrant to your country. 

No, but I wish immigrants had to do something similar. Maybe not so excessive, but at least proof of regular income, etc. Like the Swiss do it. If you work, you can stay. No job, no income to support yourself? See you (maybe) later!

Even non-EU migrants, if they have been here for long enough, can stay on the dole and won't have to fear any sort of reprisal (deportation, LOL, as if)...

And that's great?

The US used to require - pre visa waiver qualified nationals - that you show proof for where you are staying (if it's a private adress, further proof is required + that the people living there can and WILL take care of you, if you run out of money; basically vouching for them), that you have enough funds to support yourself for the duration, etc. I think it still applies, for certain types of visas + for those who cannot use the visa waiver.

Of course there are investment visa and such. But last I checked, which was a few years ago & thus might not be up to date, you had to invest well over 100k USD (probably more now), in order to qualify. So really, having 800k baht in the bank, which does not support a business + creates no jobs etc., isn't that much to ask.

They just want to make sure, that you can support yourself for the duration, and that THEY (and by extension the Thai taxpayer) won't have to pay your way to get you out again, should you no longer be able to. And that's perfectly fine.

Of course their system is somewhat exaggerated, with some of the stuff one has to go through... still, I prefer it over what's going on in many European countries, and it is their country, not yours, after all...

Edited by FarangULong
spelling etc.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For an old fella, he must have been pretty nimble. After all, it took them 2,528 days to catch up with him.

Hope I'm as healthy at that age.

Edited by alacrity
your spell checker could be improved. As could my typing.