The new Triumph 200 cc motorcycle

Denim

23 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Badge engineered Balaj .. But it makes sense to get a foothold in the massive Indian motorcycle market .. Since their rebirth Triumph have made bigger capacity hi end machines not easily affordable to the masses but the brand of Triumph is iconic so doing this allows access to the badge for those not loaded with the dollars for a big Triumph ..  Don't expect it to go down well with the purists though .. 

Original 1960's 200 Cub Triumph .. 

IMG_20200606_091013.jpg

Similar to the Arial Colt if memory serves?

6 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

A Trumpet 500 single , do tell me more.. The BSA Goldie was a beast to start that is for sure.

That was it......Goldstar, but I couldn't remember the name.

My mate had one and the "kick" was so strong on it that it threw him off the bike on many occasions.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 10:25 AM, Phuketshrew said:

A 400 twin would be sweet ????

A 500 singal,

22 hours ago, Denim said:

I owned 3 mid range Triumphs .

An ex police T100 Triumph Trophy 500cc ( I think that's what it was . Single carb )

A T100D Triumph Daytona 500cc ( one of last 50 made with disc brake and Bonnie forks )

A T90  350 cc ( bit of a rat bike but looked nice anyway )

Clearly, a glutton for punishment. All mechanically OK but all had electrical problems.

In the end I thought more riding and less pushing would be a good idea and switched to Hondas

I had a T100R,I brought it after the factory reopened after the lock in old stock  ,like you engine was good ,but the electrics, nuff said Lucas Prince of darkness.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Reading that companies like Harley and Triumph are getting their assets kicked by the sewing machine crowd because most people are buying low priced under 200 cc bikes.  There is even a rumour that harley is trying to build one to get into mass market of low cost small engine sales.

People are not buying enough of the big bikes.

1 hour ago, toofarnorth said:

A Trumpet 500 single , do tell me more.. The BSA Goldie was a beast to start that is for sure.

Brings back memories of my '68 BSA 441 Victor Special. Another classic ankle breaker, and starting it was much easier if you had a hill handy. But a fun ride...in spite of the pain.

BSA 441 2.jpg

Edited by Hayduke
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Sundown said:

Where do you go with a 200cc motorcycle? Your going to eat dust behind honda clicks

Years ago I traveled the length and breadth of Thailand on a 125 Honda Wing.

Motorcycles are a bit like women. One mans favored ride is another mans waste of time.

Size doesn't stop some people from enjoying motorcycling. Worth watching for a laugh

Edited by Denim
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, kickstart said:

A 500 singal,

I had a T100R,I brought it after the factory reopened after the lock in old stock  ,like you engine was good ,but the electrics, nuff said Lucas Prince of darkness.   

Yes, same bikes often produce similar or identical experiences. Yesterday , I was just thinking of the bike I had the most fun on and when I googled up some old reviews the comments were bang spot on everything I had experienced. Nothing added, nothing missing.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 1:21 AM, Justgrazing said:

Badge engineered Balaj .. But it makes sense to get a foothold in the massive Indian motorcycle market .. Since their rebirth Triumph have made bigger capacity hi end machines not easily affordable to the masses but the brand of Triumph is iconic so doing this allows access to the badge for those not loaded with the dollars for a big Triumph ..  Don't expect it to go down well with the purists though .. 

Original 1960's 200 Cub Triumph .. 

IMG_20200606_091013.jpg

The Tiger Cub was a great little bike, big move up from my 125cc BSA Bantam, but the best of them all was the highly classy NSU Quickly !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, mrfill said:

I had one of those hideous things at 16. Obviously, it was known as a Slowly.... Changed to a 50cc Honda to pass the test - it was marginally slower than a Tiger Cub but would always start first time without a engine rebuild and didn't leave a calling card on the drive. Got a car at 17 and got back to bikes later on. Did I choose a Triumph? Of course not - I wanted something that worked and was quick. Still have it among a few other more recent machines. 55 years on it still outpaces Triumph 500s with ease, starts on its electric start, leaks no oil and still revs to 9000rpm. The Honda CB77...

2018-05-08 14.38.52.jpg

A friend had one that he bought in a crate secondhand. He managed to put it back together and get it fired up but in the end he got a girlfriend and the project came to a ' grinding ' halt.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

The Tiger Cub was a great little bike, big move up from my 125cc BSA Bantam, but the best of them all was the highly classy NSU Quickly !

The Quickly might have sold better if its name were not also associated with a sexually transmitted disease. The thought of getting NSU quickly somehow does not sound too desirable.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

That was it......Goldstar, but I couldn't remember the name.

My mate had one and the "kick" was so strong on it that it threw him off the bike on many occasions.

A mate back in the early 1960s had an Arial square four 1,000 cc in Bahrain. He had a similar starting problem but a good landing technique. He threatened to take a sledgehammer to it many times.

1 hour ago, Denim said:

The Quickly might have sold better if its name were not also associated with a sexually transmitted disease. The thought of getting NSU quickly somehow does not sound too desirable.

NSU also made cars with a Wankel engine.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/6/2020 at 5:00 PM, Phil McCaverty said:

My mate in the UK has just bought this.

image.thumb.png.809cd79047de901adb7242127f0c9603.png

2500cc. A proper bike.

You can buy those here as well , there is a thai chick driving one ???? she deffinatly likes power between her legs i personally think it looks great . 

Well this is my current UK bike 2013 Bonneville T100 A2 (965cc) Has TORs (Triumph Off Road - straight through unrestricted peashooters) Derestricted airbox with K&N Air Filter, Fuel Injection Re-mapped to suit, Still puts a smile on my face every time I ride it, just Nice... No rush, great on the Twisties Snake Pass etc NW UK. I run it with Screen K&Q seat + sissy bar and bags (gets my kids out on back for rides) Also looks great in Stock trim clean with the flat OE Triumph seat & Grab bar running around back so get best of both styles out of it 

In Los Im happy with my 2016 Honda Forza also a few tweeks on that, does what I want around town and on a ride, differant but way better suited to Los environment/conditions. I would not be wanting to spend money on a baby Trumpet TBH when there so many great small bikes/scooters available in LOS (OMO of course)

the pic in OP looks more like a Retro Yam to me? yeah with a Honda Rebel can on it

post-118487-0-54737000-1412188812_thumb.jpg    image.thumb.png.a3f5ac5e59850908ec2fa807c6ac54f4.png

Edited by Lokie
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, kickstart said:

A 500 singal,

"Lucas Prince of darkness" Big LOL...I remember so well.