Is my condo the only one in Bangkok that won't reopen the swimming pool or gym?

rak sa_ngop

17 minutes ago, rak sa_ngop said:

Suggests I talk to the condo committee, but whose decision is it?

The owners are the managers boss.

I would check with the committee as they are the owners

Do you own or rent there?

If own tell them your not paying pool maint etc as long as its not available

• Thanks 1

Sounds like lazy management; both our condo pool and gym are open but with usage restrictions. 
The condo needs to demonstrate that they are operating these facilities in a safe way eg hygiene checks and limiting close interpersonal contact. That is what the rules say. Full closure is no longer required. Ask your condo management to check again.

13 hours ago, wordchild said:

Sounds like lazy management; both our condo pool and gym are open but with usage restrictions. 
The condo needs to demonstrate that they are operating these facilities in a safe way eg hygiene checks and limiting close interpersonal contact. That is what the rules say. Full closure is no longer required. Ask your condo management to check again.

Ours are open subject to booking, and only one family in at a time for one hour each.

Maybe the OP Condo the management cannot trust the owners to act responsibly, or they don't have the necessary budget to engage extra cleaners, personnel to police its use effectively.

5 hours ago, rak sa_ngop said:

Yes, a (mildly) confrontational approach does work.

That's how I got my pool open. Typical MaDai  (cannot) attitude towards everything here. Sometimes you need to kick the mule in the <deleted> to get it moving.

In my building there is a small but vocal contingent of Thais who are afraid of everything and want to close the whole place down. Most of the complaints about the pool and gym came from the farangs since the Thais are too passive to complain. But it got it done and lots of Thais enjoy the pool as well - just that they would not rock the boat to make anything happen. 

• Like 1

I am Dep Chair of the Board in my Condo and we all have a respectful relationship. I am able to influence things a bit but accept sometimes the decision is driven by the local authorities. Whilst they knew I was disappointed by the original closure I accepted that. When I saw the owners of a Condo opposite had allowed swimming to recommence I asked them to open our pool and they did. They had also kept the fire door open for me to spend time on the rooftop when claustrophobia crept in earlier in the lock-down. I think the secret here is to know the situation by getting the right news (even TV but also The Nation etc.) and by asking politely. They know I wont take any rubbish from them so we have this mutual respect that seems to bring the 2 cultures a little closer together in these matters. There shouldn't be any completely closed pools at this time (certainly in BKK).

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 1:05 PM, Jajazazajaja said:

Yeah, a confrontational attitude always works in Thailand..

A confrontational attitude with anyone, and I mean anyone, can work in Thailand, but only if you are 100% right as the OP most certainly is.

Edited by possum1931
  • Like 1

Typical lazy or they cut the staff for corona. Go politely at juristic office and bother them everyday and engage others that live in the condo to do the same thing. Eventually they will open gym and pool because of too many interruptions of their LINE chat duties.

Edited by Sundown

• 6 months later...
On 6/4/2020 at 11:26 AM, Jajazazajaja said:

My condo was extremely reluctant to open. Same waffling excuses. I just kept at them for about a week until she got sick of me and opened it all up

I just moved into a new condo in Pattaya.....And boy was I surprised to find out they still have covid restriction in place to use the pool......The rule is only one room at a time can use the pool..... The pool is open 7AM to 11PM and you have to register at reception for a time slot......

Its December not June......I have not heard any reports of other condos doing the registration thing after so many months....

I suspect the rules got set in motion and no one in the Thai management want to rock the boat and say bloody hell why are we still doing this?......And there might even be some people here who quite like having the whole pool to themselves...

The pool is on the roof so its not like you can ignore the rules and just go hop in which I would be quite happy to do....

Anyone elses codos still doing this?