BANGKOK
webfact

Thai economy to shrink more than expected as job losses mount - c.bank minutes

54 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

I have seen many articles and all seem to be around the 17%. Personally I thought would be higher than that.

I've read 15 percent - with 5 percent spinoff.  

What do I know though?  I'm no economist.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

I have seen many articles and all seem to be around the 17%. Personally I thought would be higher than that.

I did post on here a few days a link, but I can't what it was, but the report said 21.6% of GDP in 2018 for tourism.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

nz $ on the march  no deaths in 14 days

Edited by whiteman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, natway09 said:

there will be pressure applied to allow International arrivals just as soon as possible.

Entirely possible, but there is the Thai end and the other end. Airline travel is going to be more restricted as are the numbers of people willing and able to travel halfway round the world to look at ruined temples and laze on a 2nd rate tropical beach. There are still many negatives that need to be addressed before this country can start crowing about "  REALLY AMAZING THAILAND" again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alex 012 said:

Tourism 11% of GDP my ass.  Try 40% plus easily

How do you assume that number ? You counted all the figures , from staying in a holiday place ? Yes , in Pattaya , Samui , Phuket , it prob is even a lot higher then 40% , but Thailand does have a lot more then that . There is a significant amount of industry , from cars , electronic components , oil , chemicals and let's not forget the agriculture .

18 hours ago, webfact said:

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand's economy will contract more than expected this year and the jobs outlook to deteriorate sharply from the impact of the coronavirus outbreak, minutes from the central bank's latest meeting showed on Thursday.

And the Baht will rise like a phoenix from the ashes.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, brain150 said:

If you could show me any evidence of your statement please ?

Mortality rate of less than 1% is hardly a threat to the survival of the species !!!

... even though Governments and the Media want you to be scared like <deleted> about this so called

Pandemic - there is no Pandemic !!! Even all the official numbers show this. The data is very clear.

Approaching 7 million infected and half million deaths within 5 months that we know of....that's with lockdowns etc....just wonder what those numbers would be if daily life had carried on as normal....I would think far more which certainly dwarfs Influenza, malaria and all the other sicknesses people keep quoting. It's proven in S.Korea, one infected person caused 40 infections in a matter of days and the subsequent closure of a company with 3,000 staff.....times that at every company, restaurant, bar etc etc....surely you can see how numbers quickly increase and what the outcome is

• Like 1