will there be a big rush to the borders

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

If you can afford to risk that sum in a foreign-bank, in a country where you have no rights, this is definitely the best option.  I have some savings, but not enough to put a lump-sum at risk in Thailand.  I have to keep my liquid funds where I have FDIC (USA) funds-protection.   I am not a financial-expert, and therefore cannot predict what might happen here if things went sideways.

From August 11th 2021 the Thai bank guarantee scheme will drop to 1 million baht. So I can understand your caution.  My remedy to all financial problems ( if indeed this were ever to become one ) is to let my financial advisor ( wife) know that we have just lost 800,000 baht and that the bank have it.

I've seen her explode when served with 'not tasty' rice, so it would be an interesting scenario to witness.

On 6/5/2020 at 3:50 PM, BangkokReady said:

Not exactly pointless.  People are stressed and some are very isolated.  It's good to discuss your concerns with people.

It's the social aspect to an online forum.  Nothing wrong with asking people for their opinion when you're worried about something.

There must be many of us , especially the older ones who have difficulty grasping the "ins and outs" of he Thai visa system. I am sure that if there were somewhere to go for help it would be gratefully accepted.

• Like 1

I think the Thai government will change the goal posts, as they normally do. If they put many requirements on a foreigner when they enter the country, no one will come. Just the state quarantine for 14 days (at your own expense) would be around 30k, then you have the Covid insurance on top of that. It will make border runs virtually impossible.

We are all bracing ourselves for the next serious blow they will certainly lay upon us.

3 hours ago, geronimo said:

I think the Thai government will change the goal posts, as they normally do. If they put many requirements on a foreigner when they enter the country, no one will come. Just the state quarantine for 14 days (at your own expense) would be around 30k, then you have the Covid insurance on top of that. It will make border runs virtually impossible.

We are all bracing ourselves for the next serious blow they will certainly lay upon us.

It is yours dream that quarantine for 14 days will cost foreigners 30.000 baht. Calculate minimum 6000baht per days in recommended government hotel. I will come to 84.000 baht

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Trolleen said:

It is yours dream that quarantine for 14 days will cost foreigners 30.000 baht. Calculate minimum 6000baht per days in recommended government hotel. I will come to 84.000 baht

Doesn't matter how much they charge, there'll be no takers.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 5:42 PM, BritManToo said:

Cambodia VISA is very easy, I almost stayed when they closed the borders.

Once you're in, you can stay, no immigration difficulties each year if you have $300 and a passport, nothing else is required.

How does the Cambodian visa work? Is it a tourist visa that gives you a year stay and $300/year extensions at immigration, without having to leave Cambodia?

9 hours ago, bbi1 said:

How does the Cambodian visa work? Is it a tourist visa that gives you a year stay and $300/year extensions at immigration, without having to leave Cambodia?

You can't extend a tourist VISA $30

You can only extend an ordinary VISA $35, and you never visit immigration, you pay an agent to do it.

On 6/5/2020 at 3:20 PM, Burma Bill said:

Yes indeed, a good choice. I moved here to Siem Reap 4 months ago after almost 20 years in LOS. Absolutely correct in what you say but may I add some observations about a visa. For a retirement visa you must be over 50. Along with your passport and $300 you must provide proof of residence in Cambodia (eg. tenancy agreement), a Cambodian phone number and your e-mail address- THAT'S ALL. Life here in Siem Reap as normal and very enjoyable (without the thousands of tourists for Angkor Wat).

And the new reporting app, too. https://www.khmertimeskh.com/718054/foreigners-will-not-be-issued-visa-extension-for-failing-to-be-registered/

• Thanks 1

On 6/7/2020 at 9:24 PM, bbi1 said:

That's old news. Here's how it works since Sep 2017:

1-year extensions without leaving the country ONLY for work permit holders and persons aged 55 and above (retirement extension). Also, students studying at a Cambodian educational institution with proof of student status. EVERYONE ELSE gets a 6-month extension called an "EG" category visa, then you need to leave the country for a "visa run" get a new ordinary visa and start the process over again. Not sure how long authorities will tolerate foreigners doing this long-term, but seems to be OK for now.

Tourist visas can be extended only once, for 30 days.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 6:32 AM, BritManToo said:

You can't extend a tourist VISA $30

You can only extend an ordinary VISA $35, and you never visit immigration, you pay an agent to do it.

Tourist visa CAN be extended once, for 30 days.

On 6/6/2020 at 5:51 PM, JackThompson said:

The food-ingredients are in the markets, and plenty of Thai restaurants.  Many already live away from their families to work.  The key is being close enough they can go home to visit. 

Granted, it's not ideal, but as long as Immigration offices continue to be allowed to break the official rules, to deny extensions to those of us who qualify, this may become the only option to avoid breaking up our families. 

Remember, it is not just about "having the 40K/mo" or not - though sad if someone with a more than adequate 30K/mo pension is denied.  I had well over 40K/mo every time I applied - proven with foreign transfers on the first attempts, and with tax-payments + work-permit + bank-letter proof on my last attempt.  The REAL problem are the "unpublished" rules, which offices use to deny Valid applications. 

The corruption is what forces most most Multi-Entry Non-O Visa use, and is why immigration hate those visas - because they cut into their "undocumented" envelope revenue.

Oh dude spar us the conspiracy theories. I've never had an issue with multi entry non-O visas and I do a LOT of travel. I have crossed most land borders and used several airports for incoming flights.

As for Cambodia, the goalposts are shifting there too. New reporting system is now in force and financial requirements may eventually be applied there too.

58 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Yes indeed - FPCS. I have explained this in a more recent post, but thank you. Very simple - my landlord registered me via the app on his smart phone (as mandated).

1 hour ago, drbeach said:

That's old news. Here's how it works since Sep 2017:

1-year extensions without leaving the country ONLY for work permit holders and persons aged 55 and above (retirement extension). Also, students studying at a Cambodian educational institution with proof of student status. EVERYONE ELSE gets a 6-month extension called an "EG" category visa, then you need to leave the country for a "visa run" get a new ordinary visa and start the process over again. Not sure how long authorities will tolerate foreigners doing this long-term, but seems to be OK for now.

Tourist visas can be extended only once, for 30 days.

It  is good news anyway. Why? Because peoples can stay in Cambodia for 6 months. Later go on vacation to Vietnam 3 months. Later if they want get beauty of Thailand then they can go there for 3 months. It makes 1 years. Requirement: 1. Good health 2. Money. Problem is solve. And for some people 3 wives????????????

It is not speculative. Why?

If you have tourist 60days visa you can extend it 30 days more. Then you can go to immigration and extend it to 7 DAYS more. This time they give you to leave a country.

Did yo not know about it? 

Then I say Sorry

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, drbeach said:

Oh dude spar us the conspiracy theories. I've never had an issue with multi entry non-O visas and I do a LOT of travel. I have crossed most land borders and used several airports for incoming flights.

As for Cambodia, the goalposts are shifting there too. New reporting system is now in force and financial requirements may eventually be applied there too.

Conspiracy Theory?  Where does that phrase fit? 

I have gotten the hateful-rant from an IO when presenting a passport with one in it, when attempting to apply for an extension.   The IO told my wife I am a criminal doing an illegal thing by using that visa, and I will, quote "never be allowed to get another one."  

I assume she is lying (probably), as the MFA makes that decision - but there is No Doubt some at immigration HATE those visas for blocking their agent-money and cruel power-trip.

Agents in Cambodia were $25/year, when I was last there.  I am sure I can meet whatever income requirements, when/if they apply those.  The agent cost will likely rise - but a long way to the $1100 it takes to get a "no hassles" Non-O 1-Year based on marriage at CW - with no discount if you actually meet ALL the "published" requirements.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1