Tourism ministry wants Songkran substitute holidays spread out over year

webfact

16 hours ago, DaLa said:

Wasn't there a similar scheme in some country years ago where they planned to change from driving on the right hand side of the road to the left hand side.

The scheme was to be introduced gradually over a period of 6 months.

I recall reading that in an issue of Car & Driver, waaay back in mid 60's, just to back you up

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, TTSIssues said:

With factories, offices and other businesses closed for the last few weeks I would think people should get back to work and make some money for the economy rather than have more holidays. Maybe I am just a Grumpy Old Man ....

Actually the vast majority of industry was never closed, what was being reported was very different to reality.

Whilst i agree the proposed July 5th date is pretty daft coming 4 days after the schools are hopefully opening, i do hope the Songkran 3 day holiday happens later in the year.

Most Thai employees do not receive many days annual leave and the 3 day break gives the best chance of actually having a week off work. I know our staff who have worked non-stop this year certainly deserve it.

having the holiday in September would be a better idea if they have it at all.  Families right now are trying to put together the money for schools tuition, uniforms andbooks.  Schools must at this point be getting low on their reserves

Giving people a holiday at this time is stupid.  wait a couple of months until people feel safer travelling and have the funds to spend.

• Like 2

School, possibly opens in chiangmai on 1 July.  So students would go 1,2, and 3.   Off 4 and 5 july for the weekend and the new songkhran festival 6-9 july.  Then back to school on friday 10 july?  Again closed for the weekend and go back to school on Monday 13 july.   Maybe forget songkhran holiday this year except for necessary temple events?   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Gotta keep bringing the happiness to the People!! 

IMHO the only thing that will bring happiness to the people is the day that this government and all the "handpicked" senators are kicked out and replaced by a truly civilian freely elected government and new Senators voted in.

NO military or ex military need to apply.

Even Thaksin at his worst was never this bad.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

As foreigners we mostly just think of Songkran as a fun time, but it is perhaps the most important cultural holiday there is. If you have ever been in any of the non-touristy provinces during this time you'll see a different form of celebration, with still a lot of fun, but different and very family oriented. Obviously they're willing to sell out this ancient cultural holiday for tourism's sake.