Question about renting out my motorbike

I am thinking of buying a new honda click, but I only need it 3-4 months each year. Is there any trustworthy place that can rent it out for me, and manage everything about it? I am based in Pattaya/Bangkok, but could probably transport it elsewere too, as I love driving.

Is this a popular thing to do?

Edrigo Salvadore

• Haha 2

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

In Pattaya alone there are 1000s of bikes unrented so i think you're onto a loser but no harm in advertising on Facebook and see if a taker

I tried renting a bike a few years back and noticed that the price had hiked up like 30-50% in one year, and every place charged the same, and refused to lower their fee.

There is obviously a collusion between the shops, which is probably why there are so many unrented bikes (even before all the currency and corona troubles.)

• Like 1

No, it is not simple. I have nitrogen in my tyres, and to stop the garage people putting oxygen in I had to have decals put on the valves to inform them of this situation.

They look nice and it doesn't upset me one bit.

Next when I have the local cleaning people come and clean my bike I have to emphasise more than once that I do not want oil sprayed onto my chain, I put quality Yamaha chain lube on, and leave it overnight so that it doesn't drip and spray all over the rims when in use and make them dirty. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Why not just rent a bike for yourself for 3 - 4 months.

All the bother of owning a bike, and if it gets damaged or whatnot.

Bikes being stolen in Thailand is rampant. If this happens I rather doubt the renting agent would take any action (stolen or damaged) and in 99.9% of cases the police will do nothing. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

Have you really thought this through

Your insurance wont cover anyone or anything if the bike is rented out.

Next, how do you trust the guy renting it out

Do you think he will tell you the correct number of days he gets paid

Then you have the repair bill, some unlicensed rider drops it, who pays that bill?

Let us know how it all works out, life has been somewhat boring of late, what with the virus and all

We could do with a few laughs

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i say buy used since these scoots are very easy and cheap to fix and maintain..

you don't need a new one if your'e only need it a few months / year

then either cover it in storage during months your'e not using it or find a friend that wants to rent it for a few months. forget about dealing with rental places. 

Edited by alx123
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, johng said:
31 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:

I do not know why people insist on using just nitrogen

They think they are Formula 1 drivers ?

If people think they want just nitrogen then they should never let a non-expert touch their bike.

You wouldn't ask the garage next door to work on an F1 car... 

Dont bother renting it out. 

I keep several cars in Thailand in "storage "" at home when I'm not there. Its expensive and they devalue. But it is really nice to drive an old car with hardly any km on the clock. 

There are other expenses that come with doing this apart from insurance and maintenance. 

The tyres go hard and crack. I often replace tires when the tread still looks new. 

When we buy vehicles we lose alot through depreciation.  I consider it money spent and buy and run them into the ground. Which I'm yet to do in Thailand. 

I did leave one out years ago for family to use to see if it made a difference between the stored vehicles and the one running. There was, the one running would have a list of expensive repairs things that needed replacement and fixing when I returned to Thailand because no one did anything with it but drive it! Lol

The others just need routine maintenance and off you go.

Just rent would be best if you are concerned about costs.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

No, it is not simple. I have nitrogen in my tyres, and to stop the garage people putting oxygen in I had to have decals put on the valves to inform them of this situation.

They look nice and it doesn't upset me one bit.

Next when I have the local cleaning people come and clean my bike I have to emphasise more than once that I do not want oil sprayed onto my chain, I put quality Yamaha chain lube on, and leave it overnight so that it doesn't drip and spray all over the rims when in use and make them dirty. 

Do you ride it when it Rains ? Do you Park it always in the shade and put a cover over it ? I Would ????

21 hours ago, EdrigoSalvadore said:

I am thinking of buying a new honda click, but I only need it 3-4 months each year...

A Honda Click is not something special, easy to rent almost new bikes of that model for a reasonable fee, so not worth buying when only needed 3-4 month a year, and on top having the hassle of storing it, and find someone to take (good) care of it.  

Renting it out might make you (very) disappointed when get it back – and in the crystal bright light of hindsigt you might realize that you should have rented instead.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jaxxper said:

Don’t know what a new one runs, but I would guess Thb 65,000. Not worth the inevitable aggravation you will have by renting it. Find somewhere to store it safely and just leave it for the 8 months would be my view. Any agent/vendor you find to rent it will be more interested in renting his/her own bikes I would guess.

Good points. Another option is to always use mcy taxis when your in LOS.