Thai govt mulling which ‘red’ businesses can reopen in phase 4 easing

webfact

18 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

No new cases in 6 weeks (incubation time is 14 days).

They can open all businesses without any problem.

If you want no new cases in Thailand, keep the borders shut till Jan. 2021.

Good job you are not running the country then.

I do understand why bars with doors are closed, it can get hot & sweaty in there (I miss that!  ????).  But open air bars / beer bars / restaurants as well?  I don't see the logic here, the virus dies much faster in the open air and sunlight.

Yes, I know restaurants can open, but with no alcohol, it's just food, not a social meal, might as well eat at home.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jcord1 said:

How many total phases are there in this reopening plan.  I thought there were only 4, but the way they're describing what can possibly reopen in phase 4, it sounds like there are some things that will remain closed.

When will I be able to get my teeth cleaned at the dentist office?

Maybe you should ask them because my wife myself and daughter had our teeth checked and cleaned a week ago by our dentist.

• Like 1

Open Pubs and bars for who??? Local Thais and cheap expat ??? Covit 19 is going to be with us forever. Get use to living with it.  Crazy driver during Songkron Holiday has been with Thailand forever too. What's more dangerous?   

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Many important questions on reopening of the bars.

1) How can you deep throat the bar girls wearing a mask?

2) If the girls all have to wear masks how can you tell if they are pretty?

3) Can you get COVID from the nether regions?

4) Will the "please touch me rule" still be in effect?

LOL

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Govt mulling which ‘red’ businesses can reopen in phase 4 easing

Large bars & clubs I think are going to be problematic.. 

People standing around a table in groups drinking within close contact, obviously no masks.

• Like 1

More "cummings" and goings with the photo of the Public Health Minister and 16 cohorts from 20 May at the seaside, before the removal of the plastic dividers in Phase 3. As Public Health Minister, I presume he will do as much about cars, motorcycles, buses, lorries and cigarettes as he is doing with alcohol. 

19 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

I could not agree more. If the only cases of Covid that we have are people in quarantine, how is the virus going to spread in a bar or on a beach or anyway?

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

There is something that no-one seems to be addressing. When places are allowed to re-open there are no staff. They've mostly been laid off many weeks ago and a large number have returned home to Nakon Nowhere. Who knows how many will return, of if where they worked will even be able to re-open or if the business is permanently closed.

Absolutely right. And many restaurants have lost staff they have trained and worked with for years. Bangkok had some ten restaurants in the Asian Best Restaurants Top 50 last year including the #1. It was an extraordinary achievement and a huge thing for the high end tourism the country claims it is wanting. And yet, it's now mostly destroyed by a needless and blind refusal to allow responsible restaurants to sell wine and other drinks once they were allowed to reopen.

The profit is in the alcohol not the food and there are enough people in Thailand still who would support these establishments, which could have been approved on a case by case basis. This block has also trashed supply chains and wholesalers who have spent years developing brands and networks. There was absolutely no need for it and insult is added by what I was told from a reliable source, of people in a position of power arriving at some places and demanding booze under the table. 

PS. I am not a bar owner or a restauranteur, just an observer.

Exactly, it really seems like it's the borders that shall be protected, and quarantine at present kept for all entries. However, give it a few more weeks to check if any more new domestic cases appear – could be till end of the month (June 2020) – just to be safe.

by then everyone will be bankrupt and nowhere will be open, great thinking 

24 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Large bars & clubs I think are going to be problematic.. 

People standing around a table in groups drinking within close contact, obviously no masks.

Take a look at the rush hour in the BTS or MRT. The masses are also squeezed like the sardines in a can. Or what's the difference between 200 people in a cinema and a small bar with 2 pool tables? The virus panic is also used in part for "moral cleansing" and to curtail freedom.

Those who belong to the risk group or who are afraid can stay at home. 

• Like 1

All  12 categories should be opened immediately. No need to even wait until July 1st. Covid is gone. Deal with it. Accept it. 

Though the sad truth, is that many cannot afford to open, as there is no tourism. What would a Pattaya Go Go bar open to? Have you seen what the place looks like? Here are some images of Samui taken this week. Looks like a bomb zone. Mostly abandoned, or shuttered shop and restaurants. Most cannot afford to re-open, and it could be a year before any real quantities of international tourists return. 

31931.jpg

31932.jpg

31937.jpg

31939.jpg

31940.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

"keep the borders shut till Jan. 2021."  For tourists maybe, but there are people who actually live in Thailand and have wives and families here. There is absolutely no need to keep them out of Thailand now, even if it means 14 days quarantine.

Need to open EVERYTHING and see what happens. Since the number of cases is likely zero (minus the returnees in quarantine), new cases will likely remain at zero. Need to evaluate impact of fully opening BEFORE letting in hordes of tourists with whatever rules will govern their activities. Besides, people are starving, families taking out loans, desperate. Get as many back to work as possible, even if it will be awhile until the economy is humming again.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"keep the borders shut till Jan. 2021."  For tourists maybe, but there are people who actually live in Thailand and have wives and families here. There is absolutely no need to keep them out of Thailand now, even if it means 14 days quarantine.

There is no reason to wait until the end of the year. There are C19 IgM / IgG Quicktests which give very good results after just 20 minutes. Cost around 1000Baht. Likewise, the quarantine need not necessarily be 14 days. The results of a C19 PCR test are often available after 48 hours. If the test is negative then go to the beach. Thailand should focus on building an intelligent process at the major airports to revive international tourism.

3 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

There is no reason to wait until the end of the year. There are C19 IgM / IgG Quicktests which give very good results after just 20 minutes. Cost around 1000Baht. Likewise, the quarantine need not necessarily be 14 days. The results of a C19 PCR test are often available after 48 hours. If the test is negative then go to the beach. Thailand should focus on building an intelligent process at the major airports to revive international tourism.

Excellent post, but does the Thai government have the intelligence to do this? I very much doubt it.

51 minutes ago, Snig27 said:

Absolutely right. And many restaurants have lost staff they have trained and worked with for years. Bangkok had some ten restaurants in the Asian Best Restaurants Top 50 last year including the #1. It was an extraordinary achievement and a huge thing for the high end tourism the country claims it is wanting. And yet, it's now mostly destroyed by a needless and blind refusal to allow responsible restaurants to sell wine and other drinks once they were allowed to reopen.

The profit is in the alcohol not the food and there are enough people in Thailand still who would support these establishments, which could have been approved on a case by case basis. This block has also trashed supply chains and wholesalers who have spent years developing brands and networks. There was absolutely no need for it and insult is added by what I was told from a reliable source, of people in a position of power arriving at some places and demanding booze under the table. 

PS. I am not a bar owner or a restauranteur, just an observer.

"There was absolutely no need for it"

Well that's your opinion which is not shared by many people living here in Thailand.  Thailand took a cautious approach which has been borne out by the the figures (whether you believe them or not)

As for high end restaurants they will return based on demand. You can still get decent food at some of the Hotels in BKK such as JW Marriott, Hyatt, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental etc.  

• Haha 1

They said in that study yesterday that sex was OK as long as the participants were wearing a masks and there was no semen or urine involved. When will someone present that info to the clown in chief.