BANGKOK
sidjameson

Is Bangkok a good place for a new Buddhist?

Hi all.

I've spent some time studying Buddhism. I've recently identified myself as being a Buddhist. I am still very much a lay person attached to the bustle of life. I'd love to stay someplace and learn the language and also meet other Buddhists and talk over ideas and practice meditation.

How easy is it to meet English speaking Buddhists in Bangkok? 

If anyone has a better suggestion than Bangkok or even Thailand I am open to all ideas.

Early mornings, parks, language study, coffee shops, discussions on dharma and nature (lumpini and weekends away would be enough) is the type of life I'd love to experience.

1 hour ago, sidjameson said:

I've recently identified myself as being a Buddhist.

How?

• Like 1

Start with the internet to further your knowledge of your new religious affiliation.

Visit the literally 10s of thousands of Buddhist temples conducting religious rituals to receive inspiration and further your knowledge...

BTW...the one true religion is the one that you practice...lives in your heart...gives you peace of mind, love for your fellow man and is not selfish...charitable...

Good luck!

Go on Tinder or Thai friendly and get a Thai girl to take you to a buddhist temple, you then will realise it's rubbish the same as every other religion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stouricks said:

I would have thought that Bangkok, or even Thailand in general are not places to get involved in TRUE Buddhism.

To the contrary. After practicing on and off for 20 years solely in the US I decided to visit the 'fountain' for myself and was instantly confronted by the absurdities that is Thailand and experience the stark contrast to my 'American' and 'being Buddhist' belief system.  I think it's been the best thing for my practice.

I no longer know what to believe. I can only watch.

It's perfect.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

I've been in this country for 6 years now and I've encountered nothing that remotely resembles the teachings of the Buddha. What I see is animism thinly disguised as Buddhism.

The teachings of the Buddha have gone the same way as have the teachings of Jesus. Lost in the man made ignorance and hypocrisy of religion.

well said Sir and absolutely true.  Hypocrisy at its best is practised here.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, orchis said:

these are two good leads, the first is a group (sangha), the second is a place with many activities.

https://www.littlebang.org
http://www.bia.or.th/en/

Sidjameson, here are 2 good suggestions.  The first, Little Bangkok Sangha is run by Phra Pandit, a British monk.  If he can't help you, not sure what your looking for.  He's easy to find and easy to talk to.  I've met him several times.  The other place is a temple way South of Bangkok, a good place to go for retreats.  Good luck. 

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, khaowong1 said:

Sidjameson, here are 2 good suggestions.  The first, Little Bangkok Sangha is run by Phra Pandit, a British monk.  If he can't help you, not sure what your looking for.  He's easy to find and easy to talk to.  I've met him several times.  The other place is a temple way South of Bangkok, a good place to go for retreats.  Good luck. 

I would like to clarify a few things:

Both are in Bangkok.
Little Bang in ordinary times meets at Rojana Dhamma Centre; Pra Pandit has moved on, to Singapore.
BIA (Wat Suan Mokh Bangkok) is Budhadasa's archive and outpost in Bangkok, at Suan Rot Fai near Chatuchak. Normally also many activities.
Other centers are World Federation of Buddhism, Sukhumvit 24, and Baan Aree (BTS Ari), only scheduled activities.

The temple in the South is Wat Suan Mokh, but I heard the retreat content changed a lot there. (see trip advisor).
Good retreats I think are Goenka (https://www.dhamma.org/en/maps#TH), 8 centers, tend to fill up quickly.

Edited by orchis

5 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Go on Tinder or Thai friendly and get a Thai girl to take you to a buddhist temple, you then will realise it's rubbish the same as every other religion.

I'm open to something better: what of the 4 noble truths and the eight fold path are rubbish?

What statement about life and how to live it have you found to be better?

Thanks for the replies everyone.

11 minutes ago, sidjameson said:

I'm open to something better: what of the 4 noble truths and the eight fold path are rubbish?

What statement about life and how to live it have you found to be better?

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I don't have any paths or truths, I meet girls, drink beer, watch football and take photos of buddhist temples. I find the temples in SE Asia fascinating, but I'm not really interested in the religion.

I have been to 100s of temples in Thailand and been with girls paying merit, they tried to explain it to me, but tbh it didn't make any sense. I even had a monk spit holy water on me when I got engaged to my ex wife, her English was poor and couldn't explain it to me either.

Like I said you need to go to a temple with a local not a foreigner. The foreigners have these hippy chic ideas on what buddhism is and then talk rubbish in bars how enlightening it is.