Car ownership transfer and owner out of coutnry

Hi guys,

Wondering if I could get some guidance for the transfer of ownership for a car I'm looking to purchase from an ex-pat who has moved out of Thailand. Prior to move he did leave the Power of Attorney and signed documents with his friend here. I have been in contact with both of them and we agreed that his friend and I can go to the "Department of Land Transport" together to complete a transfer. 

Upon furnishing the docs now, he is getting to know that the residence doc from the embassy is a MUST from both buyer and seller. My work permit can't supplement this requirement but I can arrange a certificate from my embassy however as he is not living here anymore, he is unable to furnish it.

In this case, how can we complete the transfer? Can going via an agent help bypass this requirement? Or registering the car in some other province could be an option (from a past knowledge I think not every province mandates the residence certificate and POA is usually enough)? 

I am thinking of going to DLT to take advice on this from some relevant person (or possibly find an under the table arrangement). Or the car is not transferable anymore and I rather give up on this? 

Thanks. 

J = seller
I = friend having POA
me = buyer.

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-04 at 2.44.52 PM.jpeg

On 6/4/2020 at 5:38 PM, asimraza said:

Upon furnishing the docs now, he is getting to know that the residence doc from the embassy is a MUST from both buyer and seller. My work permit can't supplement this requirement but I can arrange a certificate from my embassy however as he is not living here anymore, he is unable to furnish it.

Residence certificate for the person who holds the non-resident owners PoA.

Try again, within the past 3 years I've sold a motorcycle and a car without any need to present Affirmation of Address.

Affirmation of Address / Proof of Residence is only needed for the new buyer (or Thai ID etc).

All that needs to happen:

New Buyer goes to the DLT with the Signed Power of Attorney Document and Agreement of Sale Document (also a signed copy of the previous owners passport - ID page). There is no need for the person selling the car to go to the DLT (which may confuse issues if the representative of the seller is not the seller !).

Exchange money, new owner goes to the DLT with the documents. Thats really all there is to it.

The lady at the DLT is making an assumption and assuming authoritative knowledge incorrectly (not uncommon in Thailand).