UK leads fall in global trust in government COVID responses: poll

snoop1130

UK leads fall in global trust in government COVID responses: poll

2020-06-04T050905Z_1_LYNXMPEG530BY_RTROPTP_3_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BRITAIN.JPG

A woman walks by banners in Manchester, following the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), Manchester, Britain, June 3, 2020. REUTERS/Phil Noble

LONDON (Reuters) - People across almost all the world's leading rich economies have turned more sceptical about their governments' handling of the coronavirus pandemic with confidence slumping the most in Britain, a survey showed on Thursday.

In May, in the Group of Seven nations as a whole, 48% of respondents approved of how authorities had handled the pandemic, down from 50% in April and 54% in March, the survey published by polling firm Kantar showed.

Britain saw the biggest drop - a sharp fall of 18 points from April to 51% - while in the United States, Canada, Germany, France and Italy, the declines ranged between two and six points. Japan was the only country to show an increase.

Britain's COVID-19 death toll has surpassed 50,000, according to a Reuters tally, making the country one of the worst hit in the world by the pandemic.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has also struggled to contain the fallout from a decision by his top advisor Dominic Cummings to undertake a long road trip to get family help at the height of the coronavirus lockdown when COVID-19 hit his household.

Kantar said 50% of respondents across the G7 said they trusted their government to make the right decisions about the pandemic in the future, down four points from April.

Just over half said they would use a contact-tracing app to help to prevent a new wave of infections. Almost two-thirds of those who said they would not use it cited privacy concerns.

One in three people felt uncomfortable about returning to their workplace, a similar number said they would work at home more than before the crisis and about four in 10 said they would visit restaurants, cafes, pubs and cinemas less than before.

The survey of 7,012 people was conducted between May 28 and June 1.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-06-04

3 minutes ago, 4737 Carlin said:

This pretty much hits the nail on the head. Yesterday I saw images of police in London kneeling in front of an angry crowd of third-world people. They can arrest people for sitting in parks but an angry mob gets a pass because "racism" ? 

It could be slightly (but not much) worse though, the UK could be Sweden.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Enoon said:

The UK government is nothing more than an anti-europe pressure group.

They were/are good for nothing else but anachronistic, outdated, rhetoric.

Voted into power on a wave of xenophobic ignorance, gullibility and stupidity.

The nascent "Independent" UK totally outperformed by Germany in the COVID crisis.

A taste of things to come.

And that is why Thousands of Brits applied already for a German passport??? ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Kevbo said:

They could easily control illegal immigration, they don't want to, and like all political parties in UK they don't care how indigenous people feel about it ......

Stephen Kinnock, Labour shadow minister, said, after the election disaster suffered by Labour, that the reason wasn't Brexit. It was because Labour had become so focused on "diversity", promising this that and the other to minority groups, focusing totally on those groups, that the'd lost contact with the vast white working class, whose votes they relied on. They took those votes for granted. 

His views weren't well received by the Corbyn and Corbynistas. 

Part of that is immigration, and especially illegal immigration. Conservatives ain't doing much better now either. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

What is utterly incredible is that 51% DO still trust the UK government. 

Its response to the crisis has been a total and utter shambles. At every turn an effort has been made to mislead the public. All the while they hide behind the 'heroes on the front line of OUR NHS" and people like Sir Major Tom. The health services - for all the good people working in them - are woefully underfunded and have repeatedly been let down by the politicians. 

Rabid right wingers - many of whom are in that deluded 51% - continue to play their part in bashing the so called loony left, condemning legitimate news agencies who are asking the difficult questions in an attempt to bring the government to account. 

Boris Johnson, leads the way and reminds me of a cake - the Eton Mess.

Rooster

What surprises me is that anyone trusts any politician, or political party.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

A deceptional inference ?  Membership of the EU does  not  bar , eliminate , prohibit  independent  measures of  national function.

Has the UK finalized it's divorce  from the EU ?

So if we were  not  leaving the Eu it  would  have been better??

19 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

This post is not really about immigration, but I hope I may be permitted to reply directly to one contention you made, which was quoted again.

'They don't care how indigenous people feel about it".

Well I assume you see yourself as one of the so called "Indigenous people". Who are they?

After the megalith builders (Stonehenge etc) largely died out (Climate, disease etc) came the Celts, so are the Scots Irish Welsh and Cornish the indigenous people? Then the Angles, Saxons, and Jutes: the Vikings, the Normans, the Danes, the Flemish - no need to say more. 

Is the word Indigenous just being used as a pompous self aggrandising description for "Me and my mates and excluding any of those dark skinned fellows". 

Everyone in the UK is an immigrant, or descended from one, where do you draw the line and suddenly become "Indigenous". 

I regard indigenous as tracing back 3 generations. You sound like a pompous self righteous politically correct pseudo intellectual, whose "mates" are probably illegal immigrants

• Thanks 1