Money scam, bank asking to refund money transferred and already used , is it legal ?

hello,

Money scam, bank asking to refund money transferred and already used , is it legal ?

A poor girl has been caught in a money scam after being in contact with a guy from the most famous country about online scam, she even met him many times because he is living in a country not far from here.

She was stupid to let him use her bank account in Thailand, he had money transferred from Singapore to this account and he used this money.

Now the singapore bank wants the money back because of social engineering scam (i don't know exactly what it means):

https://www.google.com/search?q=social+engineering+scam

Thai bank is saying that money will be given back to singapore bank and that the girl must refund thai bank.

She was really in love with the guy, she has been scammed, she is young and poor, sad for her.

What can she do ? will she go to jail if she cannot pay ? it's about hundreds thousands thai baht...

Of course she has been stupid to trust the guy, but telling her won't help, now she is thinking about suicide...

-

-

-

- is it legit for the singapore bank to ask the money back ?

- is it legit for the thai bank to ask the money back ?

- should the banks provide a court order or something official telling the girl to pay ?

- if she has no choice but pay or go to jail, how can we slow the process ?

- do we need to involve lawyers ? are they going to also scam her ?

-

-

-

-

Please help the poor girl. If any of you can contact me to tell me what to do, thank you so much.

Girls is not my girlfriend and is just someone from a poor family that i try to help.

Please...

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, samtab said:

Please, is it possible that only people who know something comment ?

-

- To make it clear, I am not the kind of person who can be scammed (unlike many who bought a house for their wife) 

- I know that the story is true, I have seen documents from the bank

- I am not interested by any of your personal feeling on this story, I am only looking for help, or at least a lawyer contact

-

- Thank you for your kind understanding, I am sure that you can do it if you try hard !

"Thai bank is saying that money will be given back to singapore bank and that the girl must refund thai bank."

Surely the Thai bank account holder is liable for the debt to the Sing. bank, not the Thai bank itself?

In which case the Thai bank would have no interest in the case, as it owes no money.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, samtab said:

Please, is it possible that only people who know something comment ?

-

- To make it clear, I am not the kind of person who can be scammed (unlike many who bought a house for their wife) 

- I know that the story is true, I have seen documents from the bank

- I am not interested by any of your personal feeling on this story, I am only looking for help, or at least a lawyer contact

-

- Thank you for your kind understanding, I am sure that you can do it if you try hard !

18 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

I don't see any valid reason for you to be involved in this story

she is not your girlfriend, it's not your family and you are not Thai

Anyway if she is a victim, the better thing to do for her is to file a complaint to the police

against her ''boyfriend'' , If a judge estim she was naive and has been abused, she should be

clear of the pursuit, If she was in fault, well, we all do mistakes, and most of us have to manage

the consequences of our own mistakes and missjudgements without bother the others people.

If you feel guilty or you want to ''save'' her,  open a gofundme could be an option

Good luck 

Thank you, but I am not asking you to find a valid reason to help her, and I do not want to save her, I just want to help her.

18 hours ago, Stocky said:

Tell her to make a police report, if she does, end of story, if she won't, end of story.

she will of course, but do you trust the rats here ? i don't ! and nobody with a brain does.

18 hours ago, Enoon said:

"Thai bank is saying that money will be given back to singapore bank and that the girl must refund thai bank."

Surely the Thai bank account holder is liable for the debt to the Sing. bank, not the Thai bank itself?

In which case the Thai bank would have no interest in the case, as it owes no money.

Banks all over the world work together, just like insurance companies, all dxckheads.

18 hours ago, darrendsd said:

It's the Singapore Bank that would have to take legal action - are they going to do that in Thailand?

The Thai Bank can't take money she doesn't have in her account - if they decide to refund the SG Bank then that is their decision not the girls

Until and if it gets to court worry about it then - if she doesn't have the money what can she do? Worrying won't solve the problem - I know it's easy to say but it's true

Ask a Lawyer what they think - you probably won't get many sensible answers on here

This is wrong, read reply above.

4 hours ago, Pib said:

Expect the transfer was via SWIFT.  If so, below guidelines of recalling/cancelling SWIFT transfers may provide helpful info, but note the guidance states any relevant laws and regulations (such as Thailand and Singapore may have) take precedence over the guidelines.

https://www.swift.com/resource/market-practice-guidelines-cancellation-inquiries

Thank you !

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Depends if you listen to stupid posters or to me.

I gave the correct answer in my previous post.

Thank you !

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, geisha said:

It could be possible that the whole story is engineered by the guy scammer, and he’s frightening the girl to get the money for him. Using false bank letters. She should take all correspondance , téléphone etc to the police and lodge a complaint. You yourself should have nothing to do with it for your own sake. 

Unlikely, just the good ol money mule scam that ruined millions of peoples life: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2020/03/whats-money-mule-scam

can happen with cheques, wire transfers etc you name it. 

• Like 2

IF and I do mean if this girl is in the situation that you say she is, then she report it to the police with proof that this guy exists and then do nothing at all.

If the story is true and the guy sent money to her account from a Singapore bank account and the Singapore bank are claiming social engineering, then they are saying that the guy either obtained the account details of somebody else, hacked in to the account and transferred the money to the Thai account, or he managed to persuade the Singapore bank account holder to sent it, he then removed the money and did a runner.

In this instance, ultimately, depending on the circumstances, the bank account holder who allowed their details to be disclosed or made the transfer is responsible, the Singapore bank are trying to CYA by asking for it back.

• Like 2