Money scam, bank asking to refund money transferred and already used , is it legal ?

12 minutes ago, samtab said:

do you consider your reply useful ?! another proud ridiculous...

Talk for yourself

unfortunately there is an excess stock of people like you here in Pattaya

end of the conversation for me, i let you with ''your'' problem

• Haha 1

I find this VERY hard to believe. There is so much missing.

So (call him Joe) sends money to her account from a what in Singapore. A bank A/C that is not his ?

Maybe from another a/c under duress, which is a criminal offence in Singapore

No way a Singapore bank is going to fall for this one Cash ? Cashiers cheque ?.Then they cannot have it back, The issuing bank is at fault

Beam me up Scottee, there are only 2 things that smell like fish !!

Tell her to get down to see Mr Plod now or forget about it Where is Joe now ?

Are you being conned ?

• Confused 1

There will be a lot of nuances to this story that determine what local and/or international law applies.  The devil will be in the specific detail.

Ignore the bitter and twisted brigade telling you to run etc.. Leave them to their own miserable lives.

best would be to take her to see a lawyer.  You may need to seek a few different opinions to be confident you have the right advice, but they will most likely give opinions for free.  Take all documentation with you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So many bar stool experts questioning the story. Getting access to someone elses bank details is a common way money laundering works. Often the person supplying the bank account receives a commission. There were stories about this two or three years ago. The girl should make a police report, change her bank as previously suggested, and get a new ID card with a new number. Perhaps even change her name. Its aparantly not difficult or expensive for a Thai. And obviously she should stay off the internet. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

So much information missing from the op post

Money was sent from Singapore bank to thai lady account and then man used it, How did he transfer the money from her account to another account, Did he take it out using her atm card if so there will be cctv, did she withdraw it in a branch once again cctv.

She met this guy many times where in Thailand or a different country

If she has known him a long time she will have his picture on her phone

If she is the victim she should file a police report, if she doesn't and just waits for the police to contact her they will assume she is guilty and part of the fraud

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Billthekiwi said:

There is only a demand from a Thai bank that has no legal standing as far as I can see.

She need do nothing until they produce a valid court document supporting their claim.

The Thai bank never owned the money so it can't claim a loss.

Disagree Money Laundering is a Laundering is a criminal offence in  thailand , Guy was more than likely running an illegal activity in Singapore such as romance scam and needed to get the money out of Singapore before his account was frozen it's more than likely that the police in Singapore are involved and are in discussions with the Thai police.

If she is the victim she should file a police report otherwise wait for the thai police to knock on her door

• Thanks 1

This could be a scam to the OP by the girl or a real scam.   It's exactly like a scam run in the USA several years ago by Nigerians. They find a suspect that they think they can trick and friend them. They claim the have some money come from family or friend but have no bank account to receive it. They ask to have money deposited into new friends account to be able to receive the much needed money. They even offer a fee to the new friend for the help. They then deposit a fake money order or check into the account and then withdrawal and disappear. The bank finds out after that the money order or check is fake of insufficient funded and need to take back the original funds. Banks can and do reverse or credit moneys daily to accounts without needing the customers approval. The account holder can do little to nothing to stop the reversal. This scam just adds a  separate layer by having the scumbag in another country where it's hard to get at him.   

Go to the police immediately and file a complaint 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Disagree Money Laundering is a Laundering is a criminal offence in  thailand , Guy was more than likely running an illegal activity in Singapore such as romance scam and needed to get the money out of Singapore before his account was frozen it's more than likely that the police in Singapore are involved and are in discussions with the Thai police.

If she is the victim she should file a police report otherwise wait for the thai police to knock on her door

If it was a criminal proceeding in Singapore then that's where a police investigation takes place.

The courts there can then make representation to a Thai court for a remedy in Thailand.

As far as I know no bank anywhere in the world is a member of INTERPOL.

Banks must have a legal authority to act and not make it up as they go.

• Thanks 1

For sure she must give the money back if it was not hers or comes from a criminal act (love scam, ...). That it was in her bank account not make it her money. Also she can brought to court about money laundering. You can't let use other people your bank account without consequences. And penalties for money laundering are very tough in Thailand.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My former Thai wife owed 500k on a car loan (car had disappeared).

She transferred everything she owned into a relatives name, for 10 years they wrote to her (through the court) every year asking for the money. After 10 years she bought a house with a 90% mortgage.

Around 4 years back they reduced the 'no own' penalty to 5 years.

Do nothing, don't answer letters, don't negotiate in any way.

Near enough the same game in the UK.

This is correct. And add.

Never ever acknowledge she owes the debt as the clock will reset on the 5 years. If she does a runner to another country it extends to 7 years.

Ignore everything. Let the banks do it all. Have nothing in her name.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, snowgard said:

For sure she must give the money back if it was not hers or comes from a criminal act (love scam, ...). That it was in her bank account not make it her money. Also she can brought to court about money laundering. You can't let use other people your bank account without consequences. And penalties for money laundering are very tough in Thailand.

Show me a court order?

Not one?

Until then it's unproven rumours.

Almost everyone shares their ATM cards. In every country. It is a fact of modern day life.

Edited by Billthekiwi
Spelling and expansion.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Billthekiwi said:

Show me a court order?

Not one?

Until then it's unproven rumours.

Almost everyone shares their ATM cards. In every country. It is a fact of modern day life.

Some people are to stupid to understand how it run. Now she can give the money back and NOTHING happen. If the police and court involved she will get at hard time. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=thailand+international+romance+scam+money+laundering

• Sad 1

The OP is all back to front and entirely unbelievable.  

If some sort of fraud has occurred by the 'boyfriend' and a subsequent allegation of money-laundering made against the 'girlfriend' then this would be a criminal matter and not something that would come to light through a Thai bank.  The first the girlfriend would have heard about this is is by a visit from the BiB.  A bank just wouldn't tip-off a possible fraudster.  That's not how it works.

If the OP is an honest account then I can only conclude that the OP is being groomed for the long con.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This thread suggests otherwise.... just sayin'.... 

It's amazing how many 'wannabe nights in shining armor' think theirs is different....

I am sorry to have been wrong about you, I was thinking that you were able to think more than others...

Ridiculous comment and opinion, you know nothing and seem proud about it, keep doing !

I am not the one who prefer to drive a mazda because i am not able anymore to own a german car after my wife had decided that i should give her a kid !

did you buy her the famous house also ? this is how it is for people like you...

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, bestie said:

It smells without knowing any details. I would run far away from it. I never want to involve with something like that. It's your choice.  

yes run ! this is what you have done all your life and see the great result ❤️

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Mick501 said:

There will be a lot of nuances to this story that determine what local and/or international law applies.  The devil will be in the specific detail.

Ignore the bitter and twisted brigade telling you to run etc.. Leave them to their own miserable lives.

best would be to take her to see a lawyer.  You may need to seek a few different opinions to be confident you have the right advice, but they will most likely give opinions for free.  Take all documentation with you.

Thank you, you are great.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Billthekiwi said:

BritManToo has provided a sensible solution.

The Thai bank cannot unilaterally impose a deduction on an account. It did not ever own this money. It can offer no proof of ownership at all.

Only the Singapore bank can request relief from a Thai Court. The Thai bank was a mere intermediary in an international transfer.

If an illegal act was committed then the Singapore bank must make a complaint to the police in Singapore.

Then on the basis of that complaint legal action can be sought in the courts in Singapore.

This can then on a successful outcome in the Singapore court be brought before a court in Thailand.

A Thai court may or may not then offer support but if the money is gone then it's gone.

The girl only needs to prove "ONCE" that she was not responsible for a withdrawl. Proof that she couldn't have been at the location used.

Other than that the court can't get blood out of a stone. Like BMT said in 5 years the problem has gone.

Get with another unrelated bank immediately. It will be harder later if she doesn't.

I am not a lawyer but have experience with common law and it's application.

Singapore will have inherant common law in it's processes.

Tell the girl to forget about suicide as she's not to blame and can't actually be damaged. Just walk away from the Thai bank and ignore their threats.

Only when a court appearance is requested does she need to do anything.

But do have the proof handy should she need to prove her absence from a withdrawl.

There must be one where she was at the doctor, dentist or something.

Thank you so much ! great !

12 hours ago, digbeth said:

That's a new one... instead of my parent's water buffalo died, it's now I've been romance scammed.... you can't say the Thais aren't smart

They,'re keeping up with current events and moving with the times.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, vinny41 said:

So much information missing from the op post

Money was sent from Singapore bank to thai lady account and then man used it, How did he transfer the money from her account to another account, Did he take it out using her atm card if so there will be cctv, did she withdraw it in a branch once again cctv.

She met this guy many times where in Thailand or a different country

If she has known him a long time she will have his picture on her phone

If she is the victim she should file a police report, if she doesn't and just waits for the police to contact her they will assume she is guilty and part of the fraud

Thank you so much !

5 hours ago, Dan O said:

This could be a scam to the OP by the girl or a real scam.   It's exactly like a scam run in the USA several years ago by Nigerians. They find a suspect that they think they can trick and friend them. They claim the have some money come from family or friend but have no bank account to receive it. They ask to have money deposited into new friends account to be able to receive the much needed money. They even offer a fee to the new friend for the help. They then deposit a fake money order or check into the account and then withdrawal and disappear. The bank finds out after that the money order or check is fake of insufficient funded and need to take back the original funds. Banks can and do reverse or credit moneys daily to accounts without needing the customers approval. The account holder can do little to nothing to stop the reversal. This scam just adds a  separate layer by having the scumbag in another country where it's hard to get at him.   

Go to the police immediately and file a complaint 

Thank you, I will tell her to start by this.