BANGKOK
Thaivisa Web Content Team

100-year-old coronavirus survivors share their longevity secrets

They’ve lived through World Wars, the Great Depression and other pandemics, so they weren’t about to let a little COVID stop them.

Meet some of the oldest coronavirus survivors — all 100 years old and above — whose optimism and fighting spirits inspire all who hear their stories.

Read on for their longevity secrets — and the life lessons they say aided their recoveries, from good eating habits to keeping calm under pressure.

104-year-old Lilian Menendez credits her longevity with good genes.

My mother was 98 and she didn’t have a gray hair in her head — she was jet black,” says Menendez, the eldest resident at Apex Rehab & Healthcare in South Huntington, LI.

Menendez adds that her mother, who raised six children alone in Manhattan, taught her to be strong — and made sure they were fortified to do so.

My mother took very good care of us,” says Menendez.

“We ate a lot of rice and beans, and chicken. Sunday we got chicken because we were poor then.”

The Harlem native grew up to have two children, four grandchildren and several great-grandchildren.

Since recovering from the virus in April, “I feel wonderful,” says Menendez, who once worked at Lord & Taylor on Fifth Avenue, where she made $10 a week. “I’m as strong as a bull.

FULL ARTICLE

Rice, beans and (animal or plant) protein provide all the essential nutrients that a human body needs. I wonder what she eats now, though?

On 6/4/2020 at 7:36 PM, Thaivisa Web Content Team said:

104-year-old Lilian Menendez credits her longevity with good genes.

Amazing longevity secret.... thank-you for sharing!  🙄 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stephenterry said:

Rice, beans and (animal or plant) protein provide all the essential nutrients that a human body needs. I wonder what she eats now, though?

For certain people, rice and beans would be a death sentence. Too much carbohydrate. I have in mind those who suffer from diabetes.

The sad and boring truth is that your longevity has much to do with your DNA. When you hear about someone living a long life on rice and beans, I can tell you stories about 95 year olds still living well on tobacco and whiskey.

Of course, something like smoking will affect longevity for most people - in my family, if you smoke 40 a day, you will get cancer in your 60s. If you don't, you will live to late 80s or early 90s and cancer free.

And the lifestyle choices we make (food, drugs, exercise) are greatly influenced by both our genetic inheritance and our childhood environment.

(Note the word 'influenced', not 'determined'.)

1 hour ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Amazing longevity secret.... thank-you for sharing!  🙄 

Er.......The moment it was revealed it was no longer secret......

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Proboscis said:

For certain people, rice and beans would be a death sentence. Too much carbohydrate. I have in mind those who suffer from diabetes.

The difference is that it's good carbs, not highly processed junk food carbs - and type 2 diabetes sufferers woud be best advised (by nutritional doctors) to revert to a plant based diet to reverse the disease. This is scientifically sound for decades, now.