Kurt Cobain with dolls' heads: Mark Seliger’s best photograph

snoop1130

Kurt Cobain with dolls' heads: Mark Seliger’s best photograph

5479.jpg

‘It was intended to be surreal. He got it’ ... Kurt Cobain, photographed in 1993. Photograph: Mark Seliger

I first photographed Nirvana in 1992 for Rolling Stone magazine in the midst of the band’s world tour for Nevermind, their breakthrough album.

Kurt Cobain had something of a reputation, and the day before the shoot I asked Dave Grohl [the band’s drummer] and Krist Novoselic [bass] if they would be so kind as to ask Kurt to wear a T-shirt without writing or slogans on it. 

The next day, the guys arrived for the shoot laughing. Kurt was in sunglasses, with a sweater all buttoned up.

When he took it off, it turned out he was wearing a T-shirt emblazoned with the words: “Corporate Magazines Still Suck.” Thankfully, Rolling Stone saw the humour in it and ran it on the cover.

Full Story: https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/jun/04/kurt-cobain-dolls-mark-seliger-best-photograph 

• Like 1

wow so edgy, groundbreaking and unique,  It amazes me how modern art has no limits in the amount of stuff it keeps churning out, time and time again, marvelous and wonderful pieces of work.  This piece is surely way ahead of it's time in the promotion of gay marraige and gender fluid children.