Train to Hua Hin.....

moontang

Screenshot_20200604-200221.png.b56dc1a6d92683cefc505953710392f7.pngYes, it is running, but only from Thonburi.  Now, with Blue MRT, you can go to Bang Khun Non, and it appears to be a bit better stroll than from the ferry pier, as you don't have to digest through the big hospital buildings.  One train per day, the 255 leaving at 0730.  One coming back at 1146.  Makes a lot of stops, and is an hour slower than the best one from Bang Su.  An option..42 THB..

Screenshot_20200604-200116.png

Edited by moontang

If you like your bones rattled to the extreme go for it. I did it a number of years ago and used a bus to come back, no way I was getting on the train again.  The train is a horrible experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lujanit said:

If you like your bones rattled to the extreme go for it. I did it a number of years ago and used a bus to come back, no way I was getting on the train again.  The train is a horrible experience.

Still more comfortable than the vans, and that is Third Class.  Safety is no comparison.

Edited by moontang

2 hours ago, moontang said:

Still more comfortable than the vans, and that is Third Class.  Safety is no comparison.

I didn’t go by a killer van.  I went on a government bus, slower but much safer.

1 minute ago, lujanit said:

I didn’t go by a killer van.  I went on a government bus, slower but much safer.

A big factor is where you gotta go to get on the thing...Southern Terminal is inconvenient for most, and it is hard to tell what their schedules are, and if the vans are even running.

1 minute ago, moontang said:

A big factor is where you gotta go to get on the thing...Southern Terminal is inconvenient for most, and it is hard to tell what their schedules are, and if the vans are even running.

I got on the bone rattler at Taling Chan station, 3rd class, no air-con seat available.  The government bus leaves Hua Hin from the centre of town.  Faster than the train, slower than a killer van.

9 minutes ago, lujanit said:

I got on the bone rattler at Taling Chan station, 3rd class, no air-con seat available.  The government bus leaves Hua Hin from the centre of town.  Faster than the train, slower than a killer van.

Normally, there is a three hour train from Bang Su..that is faster than the vip bus from mo chit...and you can factor in, where in hua hin, you need to get to, as well.  Another problem is the windows can't open in  second class, so it can sometimes be more comfortable in third.

Edited by moontang

There is a van running from ekami to Hua Hin every 2 hours from 7AM to 3PM ( subject to change.) Most but not all,  are the new small bus type vans. They stop on the main Highway about 300 meters north of Bluport in Hua Hin. Looks like a temporary station.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, onekoolguy said:

There is a van running from ekami to Hua Hin every 2 hours from 7AM to 3PM ( subject to change.) Most but not all,  are the new small bus type vans. They stop on the main Highway about 300 meters north of Bluport in Hua Hin. Looks like a temporary station.

Thanks..the whole idea of the OP was to give some options to some folks that have been held up in their BKK home for three months and could use an easy trip.  That is a good replacement for the extinct VM vans, for many.

Oh dear there we go again,even from a platinum member.

In NORMAL times online bookings to HH ONLY open 2=3 days before for a fairly obvious reason even Brits en OZzies may be able to understand: priority is given to long distance=overnight pax. These trains all run onward to the far south, even to the Malay border. Only any left-over seats will go on sale later. And as you may remember from comp.lesson nr 1: it will only spit out what someone has ever put in.

Also in the last times before the pandemic most pax on bus to HH were coming fom Swampy-direct on the Bell or so bus.

On 6/5/2020 at 9:39 AM, Yellowtail said:

I rode it two times, first and last....

Agreed, although it is quite scenic and safer than the mini vans. I started to use the large busses, slower than the vans but quicker than the train.  Luckily my journey on the train was 30 minutes shorter as I stopped in Cha Am.

Hopefully off there soon when the bars open.

If there are any left !

2 hours ago, asanee said:

Oh dear there we go again,even from a platinum member.

In NORMAL times online bookings to HH ONLY open 2=3 days before for a fairly obvious reason even Brits en OZzies may be able to understand: priority is given to long distance=overnight pax. These trains all run onward to the far south, even to the Malay border. Only any left-over seats will go on sale later. And as you may remember from comp.lesson nr 1: it will only spit out what someone has ever put in.

Also in the last times before the pandemic most pax on bus to HH were coming fom Swampy-direct on the Bell or so bus.

That has nothing to do with almost all the trains currently NOT running.

On 6/5/2020 at 3:48 PM, lujanit said:

Just to clarify, that is the 255, the same train that leave Thonburi at 0730.

17 hours ago, moontang said:

Just to clarify, that is the 255, the same train that leave Thonburi at 0730.

I really don’t remember, I did the trip about five years ago.  It was certainly a daytime trip and I arrived in Hua Hin middle to late afternoon so 0730 seems right.  In those days you could still drink beer on the train.  Lots of vendors selling beer and all types of food in Ratchaburi.  When the train stops the vendors just swoop on the train.

They have now resumed several other trains, and you can get to Bang Su.  The three hour one did not resume, however.  I took the minibus, and it is a huge improvement over the vans..180 THB..seriously lacking legroom, though.  Driver was good.  Terrible traffic from Phetchaburi to Chaam..they are resurfacing the roads.  I would avoid it on weekends and holidays.  20 passenger, about 2/3 full.  3:40 from Sai Tai Mai..good news is you can go to MRT BL05, and catch a songthaew for seven THB to the station.  Bang Su is better for me, even for a four hour train.