Bars and pubs could open soon

kingofthemountain

1 hour ago, kingofthemountain said:

thank you

what i have described is the main activity in Pattaya during this mess called Songkran

so i am still waiting from one of the enthusiastics participants a logic answer to my simple question.

Someone else?

I have always happily enjoyed Songkran without partaking in what you described.

I can't answer it any other way.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

The biggest Songkran whingers are those that never experience it, or hide themselves away from it.

Not my experience....although the way you couched it is perhaps somewhat true... but they hide from it because they have experienced it.

• Like 2

Well you cant read too much into it but the Sabai Group of hotels in Pattaya have today rescheduled reopening back to January 1st 2021

Frankly that tells you all you need to know for the forseeable

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

Well you cant read too much into it but the Sabai Group of hotels in Pattaya have today rescheduled reopening back to January 1st 2021

Where did you read that?

Website still says July 2020.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TaaSaparot said:

Where did you read that?

Yes, a link to a statement of the Sabai group of something

in the same spirit will be very welcome.

Unfortunately we have had few posts with fake news and rumors

in a lot of topics in the last days.

11 hours ago, rob63 said:

Songkran isn't the problem. The problem is the foreigners. I have never had a problem with a Thai during the celebrations. I have had plenty of problems with foreigners.

I bet that you stay in the Beach Road to Soi Buakhao area...

If you went east of 3rd Rd, or worse east of Sukhumvit, you would have certainly had a lot of "Songkran problems" with Thai ... as I did. ????

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rob63 said:

Songkran isn't the problem. The problem is the foreigners. I have never had a problem with a Thai during the celebrations. I have had plenty of problems with foreigners.

That is not the case for me, lots of out of control Thais too who are overcome with an infantile euphoria.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Where did you read that?

I am good friends with the lead receptionist at Sabai Lodge. Far from fake news she was crying her eyes out yesterday to me. January 1st 2021

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Yes, a link to a statement of the Sabai group of something

in the same spirit will be very welcome.

Unfortunately we have had few posts with fake news and rumors

in a lot of topics in the last days.

I refer you to my post above.....It was never opening on July 1st it was always November 1st and that now has been put back 2 months till next year

Rather than there being any possible doubt over that Sabai post have just come of Messaging with her again and absolutely not opening now as stated until 01/01/2021

Bit disappointed as was hoping to get a trip in November but thats 100% shelved now and am going Southern Spain instead

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Chivas said:

The bigger the business or company, the less profitable it would be to open in these circumstances.  Completely understandable. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chivas said:

I refer you to my post above.....It was never opening on July 1st it was always November 1st and that now has been put back 2 months till next year

Yes no problem i am sure your friend at Sabai Lodge is right

but few big hotels have already reopened recently in Pattaya

here a short citation from an article publied the 11 june 2020

unfortunately the link to this news is not allowed here, but you can easily find it

''Hotel service has gradually resumed. Based on Life's rough survey, four out of 10 luxury hotels and resorts have reopened since the beginning of June -- Cape Dara Resort Pattaya; Centara Grand Mirage Resort; Dusit Thani Pattaya Hotel; and X2 Pattaya Oceanphere Residence. All are offering promotions to attract customers''

One hotel does not make policy for the whole of Pattaya's hospitality industry.

However, it is going to be very hard going for the industry.

The Sportsman's and a fair few will survive with expat business until the rest of us can get back.

That seems further away as the days pass.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WillyPlatt said:

One hotel does not make policy for the whole of Pattaya's hospitality industry.

However, it is going to be very hard going for the industry.

The Sportsman's and a fair few will survive with expat business until the rest of us can get back.

That seems further away as the days pass.

'Leaver" won't believe you, according to him everything is destined to ruin, never to return - lol

I agree, many sports bars it will be business as normal with the long term expat clients, would suspect little difference apart from the loss of revenue during the months of the forced shut down.

Edited by HashBrownHarry
  • Confused 1

This is from a newspaper article it seems to depend on what registered license you have-

Panpimol Wipulakorn, director-general of the Department of Health, said that pubs and restaurants that have registered as eateries can reopen in the fourth stage of relaxation, while venues that will be allowed to serve alcohol on their premises must also have liquor sale licences.

Eateries which have licences to play live music can also reopen, but places that have registered as night entertainment venues will remain closed, Dr Panpimol said.

6 hours ago, stubby52 said:

This is from a newspaper article it seems to depend on what registered license you have-

Panpimol Wipulakorn, director-general of the Department of Health, said that pubs and restaurants that have registered as eateries can reopen in the fourth stage of relaxation, while venues that will be allowed to serve alcohol on their premises must also have liquor sale licences.

Eateries which have licences to play live music can also reopen, but places that have registered as night entertainment venues will remain closed, Dr Panpimol said.

This was the policy back in March, but the authorities were against groups gathering in restaurants to drink beer, so expect the same this time.

A lot of restaurants had signs saying you had to order food first before buying alcohol.

Places won't reopen, including many independent hotels or small chains, until tourists return.

Buffets etc run on high volume, low margins. Imagine the overheads in utilities etc before you even get a paying guest.

I don't blame them and would do the same.

Pattaya will be a shadow of it's former self until at least Q4 of the year.

They can delay until Q4 because its low season but at least Thai tourist officials are telling government that domestic tourism is not enough.

Sandalay hotel; J Soi2 & Beach Rd; now open, 1100 Baht for a deluxe room. Red Steps restaurant; attached to the hotel; has already been open a week but is far from busy.

Good luck to them.

Edited by champers

48 minutes ago, champers said:

Sandalay hotel; J Soi2 & Beach Rd; now open, 1100 Baht for a deluxe room. Red Steps restaurant; attached to the hotel; has already been open a week but is far from busy.

Good luck to them.

Walking round the corner to Dongtan beach yesterday afternoon there was a minibus of local tourists offloading and checking into a hotel I'd never really noticed before, it just stood out not having seen a tour group for so long. 

Also noticed a well known venue on Thappraya reopening with a restaurant set up as opposed to it's traditional bar format. ????.  I guess 15 days is a long-time in the current climate. I didn't see a group gathering just yet. 

Edited by kinyara
Addition

19 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Sports bars like Retox are big operations.  They are not a hobby for a retired expat.  They do not operate like a charity for expats.  If profits aren't coming in, they wind up.  Retox is currently for sale.  What does that tell you?

It tells me they had the wrong model, relying on the 99 baht breakfast, just a one trick pony really. Didn't adjust to what people wanted. They were in trouble prior to Corona

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

It tells me they had the wrong model, relying on the 99 baht breakfast, just a one trick pony really. Didn't adjust to what people wanted. They were in trouble prior to Corona

Like I have said in the past, it's a race to the bottom here.

I believe they advertised for sale just as news of the virus was breaking, or very soon after, but would say the decision to sell was made well before full information and impact was know about the virus.  Retox also saw low numbers this past high season. 

29 minutes ago, Leaver said:

You are only in Pattaya for 4 days a month.  In any case, did you actually go to The Sportsman this past high season, pre virus?  I frequent The Sportsman, and noticed a big drop in clientele, and this was in high season.  This was confirmed by staff and management.  I hope they remain in business, even when things get back to normal.

The Sportsman is a good example because of its consistency. It consistently has good food and beverage, and service and facilities.  The same management, and their high standards, have been in place for years.  It's not like The Sportsman "went down hill."  The problem for The Sportsman is, Pattaya / Thailand has changed around it. 

What has changed has been well debated on TV, such things like strong baht, higher cost of living, rising competition from neighboring countries, changing tourist demographic, aging expat population etc etc  All of these things, and more, are outside of The Sportsman's control.  They were along for the ride pre virus.      

Sports bars like Retox are big operations.  They are not a hobby for a retired expat.  They do not operate like a charity for expats.  If profits aren't coming in, they wind up.  Retox is currently for sale.  What does that tell you?

Elderly expat clientele is not enough for these sports bars to continue operating.  There is no money in putting a football match on, and having your bar full of spectators watching the match over a cup of tea, or a glass of coke, or one beer, and then leaving.  They need the tourists to come in, preferable with their two week Thai girlfriend, and for them to watch the match, get drunk, buy a meal, and hang around after the match, before heading out somewhere for the night.  This wasn't happening pre virus, and doesn't look to like happening for the foreseeable future.   

I agree with a lot of what you say. You mention competition from neighbouring countries but you don't explicitly mention increased local competition, which I think is as relevant if not more relevant than anything else.

The sports bar concept has proliferated perhaps more than any other over the years especially within the resident expat and western tourist enclave across 2nd road from The Sportsman in LK Metro & Buakhow. They were also a successful early adopter of home delivery with Door to Door and look at the competition in that market now. The number of venues has grown significantly from the Sportsman's early days not because of a contraction in Western tourist numbers but an expansion. Custom has been spread too thin to enjoy the same profits for long standing businesses by sheer business numbers, the question we should see answered is how much business culling takes place and who the prime beneficiaries are. 

According to a notice from the french speaking community in Pattaya ( Ensemble ) to their members, restaurants will only be able to sell alcohol from 11 am till 02 pm, and from 05 till 11 pm.

This to avoid they take over the role of a pub/bar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

According to a notice from the french speaking community in Pattaya ( Ensemble ) to their members, restaurants will only be able to sell alcohol from 11 am till 02 pm, and from 05 till 11 pm.

Early lunch followed by a siesta then an early dinner ????, that's pretty good drinking hours for most residents. 

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

That might be true for the old Lengkee place but that isn't the one up for sale?

Edited by jacko45k

2 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Kilkenny on LK Metro seem to agree.

image.png.29601fa7d40bf4b9c8fcb80ca11dc005.png

• Like 1