Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Bars and pubs could open soon


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

You are only in Pattaya for 4 days a month.  In any case, did you actually go to The Sportsman this past high season, pre virus?  I frequent The Sportsman, and noticed a big drop in clientele, and this was in high season.  This was confirmed by staff and management.  I hope they remain in business, even when things get back to normal.

 

The Sportsman is a good example because of its consistency. It consistently has good food and beverage, and service and facilities.  The same management, and their high standards, have been in place for years.  It's not like The Sportsman "went down hill."  The problem for The Sportsman is, Pattaya / Thailand has changed around it. 

 

What has changed has been well debated on TV, such things like strong baht, higher cost of living, rising competition from neighboring countries, changing tourist demographic, aging expat population etc etc  All of these things, and more, are outside of The Sportsman's control.  They were along for the ride pre virus.      

 

Sports bars like Retox are big operations.  They are not a hobby for a retired expat.  They do not operate like a charity for expats.  If profits aren't coming in, they wind up.  Retox is currently for sale.  What does that tell you?

 

Elderly expat clientele is not enough for these sports bars to continue operating.  There is no money in putting a football match on, and having your bar full of spectators watching the match over a cup of tea, or a glass of coke, or one beer, and then leaving.  They need the tourists to come in, preferable with their two week Thai girlfriend, and for them to watch the match, get drunk, buy a meal, and hang around after the match, before heading out somewhere for the night.  This wasn't happening pre virus, and doesn't look to like happening for the foreseeable future.   

Your last paragraph confirms you have absolutely no idea.

 

The Sportsman is in a <deleted> location, not been for many many years ( used to do my visa run from there ).

 

You keep mention Retox - why? it was a flash in the pan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is great...I can hardly wait to shout across the room to other customers...😂

Only ones who partake in Songkarn watersports are dumb idiot tourists, there are none about, all that's left in Pattaya are residents, who totally detest the whole Songkarn circus.

The fight (lockdown) was never to stop Covid-19, it was to prevent the health services from being overwhelmed. Covid-19 cannot be stopped - it can be slowed, we will all be exposed to the SARS-Co

Posted Images

3 hours ago, luckyluke said:

According to a notice from the french speaking community in Pattaya ( Ensemble ) to their members, restaurants will only be able to sell alcohol from 11 am till 02 pm, and from 05 till 11 pm.

This to avoid they take over the role of a pub/bar.

Restaurants have been denied to sale alcool since weeks

and still without the tourism from abroad they have a tiny portion

of their usual clientele.

 

Most of them have been closed during the last 2 months or

have tried to survive with only the take out service

 

The authorities could at least let's them now try to make some decent money

in these hard times, and not come again with more silly restrictions.

 

The same thing is imo for the beach vendors, i don't get the logic to not

allow the beach chair renters to work everyday of the week.

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Your last paragraph confirms you have absolutely no idea.

 

The Sportsman is in a <deleted> location, not been for many many years ( used to do my visa run from there ).

 

You keep mention Retox - why? it was a flash in the pan.

It's you who has no idea.  You are only here for 6 weeks of the year.

 

The Sportsman used to very busy, and regularly.  Yes, it's only a small bar, but even last high season, there were empty tables, regularly.  It's location is very central for expats, and tourists.  

 

I am talking about Retox on Soi Honey.  Have you ever been there.  It's probably Pattaya's busiest sports bar, and is for sale. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Leaver said:

It's you who has no idea.  You are only here for 6 weeks of the year.

 

The Sportsman used to very busy, and regularly.  Yes, it's only a small bar, but even last high season, there were empty tables, regularly.  It's location is very central for expats, and tourists.  

 

I am talking about Retox on Soi Honey.  Have you ever been there.  It's probably Pattaya's busiest sports bar, and is for sale. 

I lived there for 8 years ( mentioned many times before that you seem to ignore ) until i got fed up with the place.

 

The Sportsman was never 'very busy'. Infact i beleive the owner got into trouble for trying to sell class A's from there?

 

I know where Retox is thank you, i have been there. How long has it been on the go, i don't think too long, right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I lived there for 8 years ( mentioned many times before that you seem to ignore ) until i got fed up with the place.

 

The Sportsman was never 'very busy'. Infact i beleive the owner got into trouble for trying to sell class A's from there?

 

I know where Retox is thank you, i have been there. How long has it been on the go, i don't think too long, right?

I seem to remember you saying you moved away from Pattaya, but come back to Pattaya for around 4 days every month, because you have a condo here.  Is this the case?

 

On years gone by, The Sportsman has been busy.  Yes, it's only a small bar, so when even full, we are not talking about the numbers the bigger places get, but then again, I am sure they pay less rent and have less over heads, so profit margins would have been ok back then. 

 

As for Retox, it been there a while.  I would hardly call it a flash in the pan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I seem to remember you saying you moved away from Pattaya, but come back to Pattaya for around 4 days every month, because you have a condo here.  Is this the case?

 

On years gone by, The Sportsman has been busy.  Yes, it's only a small bar, so when even full, we are not talking about the numbers the bigger places get, but then again, I am sure they pay less rent and have less over heads, so profit margins would have been ok back then. 

 

As for Retox, it been there a while.  I would hardly call it a flash in the pan.

Sometimes longer, sometimes less.....up to me.

 

Don't agree, the busiest time was for the sunday carvery as i recall, never liked the place, too dark.

 

Define ' a while '

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Leaver said:

You are only in Pattaya for 4 days a month.  In any case, did you actually go to The Sportsman this past high season, pre virus?  I frequent The Sportsman, and noticed a big drop in clientele, and this was in high season.  This was confirmed by staff and management.  I hope they remain in business, even when things get back to normal.

 

The Sportsman is a good example because of its consistency. It consistently has good food and beverage, and service and facilities.  The same management, and their high standards, have been in place for years.  It's not like The Sportsman "went down hill."  The problem for The Sportsman is, Pattaya / Thailand has changed around it. 

 

What has changed has been well debated on TV, such things like strong baht, higher cost of living, rising competition from neighboring countries, changing tourist demographic, aging expat population etc etc  All of these things, and more, are outside of The Sportsman's control.  They were along for the ride pre virus.      

 

Sports bars like Retox are big operations.  They are not a hobby for a retired expat.  They do not operate like a charity for expats.  If profits aren't coming in, they wind up.  Retox is currently for sale.  What does that tell you?

 

Elderly expat clientele is not enough for these sports bars to continue operating.  There is no money in putting a football match on, and having your bar full of spectators watching the match over a cup of tea, or a glass of coke, or one beer, and then leaving.  They need the tourists to come in, preferable with their two week Thai girlfriend, and for them to watch the match, get drunk, buy a meal, and hang around after the match, before heading out somewhere for the night.  This wasn't happening pre virus, and doesn't look to like happening for the foreseeable future.   

Well done Leaver, a detailed post talking about a place you actually go to.

I agree with your post in its entirety.

This forum is full of people who appauld the actions of the Thai government in keeping farang's out of Thailand but wouldn't spend a dime helping the businesses left.

Those that will not close permanently, will soon realise that penny pinching expats ain't going to keep the lights on.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

An on the ground inspection of the "restaurant" situation in my area this afternoon led me to believe that my watch was either 2 hours too fast, half an hour too slow or correct and some people have an Olympic ability to nurse a beer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

This is about Pattaya.

My first post was about Pattaya, mentionning there may be special drink hours in effect. 

Being in Bangkok actually, I mentioned that where I was, there were no special drink hours. 

So I believe there is a fair correlation. 

Of course you are entitled to believe there isn't. 

 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kinyara said:

An on the ground inspection of the "restaurant" situation in my area this afternoon led me to believe that my watch was either 2 hours too fast, half an hour too slow or correct and some people have an Olympic ability to nurse a beer. 

It is another one of their stupid rules which is so easy to get around. I go to Retox to watch the football. I buy a beer bucket with ice and 3 bottles. There will be a rush on beer buckets at 1.50 pm and everyone can sit and drink in peace. If the hotel wants to really cheat they can just ring through the drinks before 2pm, sell later and give people an old receipt. Is a bit like the 7/11 situation where you just go to a mum and dad shop.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Leaver said:

I have often said the slices of the tourism pie here are getting cut thinner and thinner.   As you allude to, the virus may provide a reset for this.  

 

Only the businesses themselves know their own bottom line.  It would be a calculation of how much money they are willing to spend to either hang in the game for tourists to come back, which can also mean they remain closed in order to minimize loses, to when is their lease due, to speculating on tourists returning, to any rent discount given by the Thai landlord. 

 

As we have seen in some threads recently, some business owners have decided it's financially beneficial to walk away.      

 

As I said, sports bars can be busy with expats watching sport, but that doesn't mean the bar is making a profit.  In many cases, expats watching a sport match are similar to balloon chasers here, except the sport is on offer, not a meal. 

 

I actually think the biggest beneficiaries will be the retired expat that has a small bar as a hobby.  He's never needed or turned a profit before, so will still be here, and will probably pick up a few extra customers after the demise of the larger establishments that have huge overheads.

 

I can see a lot of beer bars in the Soi Buakhao/LK Metro area opening, and maybe some gogos that had deep pockets, but the high overhead bars on Walking Street won't open until a lot of international tourists return, and only if they've struck up a good deal (concessions) from their landlords. Their wasn't great business before covid struck, so the going will be tough.

 

If Pattaya City Hall wants to retain Walking Street as a tourist attraction, they should be injecting a lot of cash to help the struggling businesses.

Edited by JensenZ
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2020 at 12:44 AM, HashBrownHarry said:

Your last paragraph confirms you have absolutely no idea.

 

The Sportsman is in a <deleted> location, not been for many many years ( used to do my visa run from there ).

 

You keep mention Retox - why? it was a flash in the pan.

Retox has been around for awhile. They were iRovers on LK Metro before setting up on Langkee.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Chivas said:

You fella will be the reason that bar and clubs wont be open for the forseeable just pushing the boundaries.

Look at the cretins on the Treetown Youtube video now going viral. No social distancing and boozing

 

Absolutely brain dead the lot of em period

This Tree Town area at Soi Buakhao has been very busy for weeks (not only yesterday) with little or no care about any restrictions. It seems to be a very special zone here in Pattaya in the middle of Central Pattaya - so not at a remote location. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Are you talking of Bangkok, or Rayong or somewhere as I don't know these soi 33/1 places in Pattaya.....

 

It's Bangkok. It was in reply to CrunchWrapSupreme who seemed to be asking about the openings yesterday in Bangkok where he lives.  

 

Me, I'll be heading to Pattaya soon.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2020 at 9:10 AM, Leaver said:

You are only in Pattaya for 4 days a month.  In any case, did you actually go to The Sportsman this past high season, pre virus?  I frequent The Sportsman, and noticed a big drop in clientele, and this was in high season.  This was confirmed by staff and management.  I hope they remain in business, even when things get back to normal.

 

The Sportsman is a good example because of its consistency. It consistently has good food and beverage, and service and facilities.  The same management, and their high standards, have been in place for years.  It's not like The Sportsman "went down hill."  The problem for The Sportsman is, Pattaya / Thailand has changed around it. 

 

What has changed has been well debated on TV, such things like strong baht, higher cost of living, rising competition from neighboring countries, changing tourist demographic, aging expat population etc etc  All of these things, and more, are outside of The Sportsman's control.  They were along for the ride pre virus.      

 

Sports bars like Retox are big operations.  They are not a hobby for a retired expat.  They do not operate like a charity for expats.  If profits aren't coming in, they wind up.  Retox is currently for sale.  What does that tell you?

 

Elderly expat clientele is not enough for these sports bars to continue operating.  There is no money in putting a football match on, and having your bar full of spectators watching the match over a cup of tea, or a glass of coke, or one beer, and then leaving.  They need the tourists to come in, preferable with their two week Thai girlfriend, and for them to watch the match, get drunk, buy a meal, and hang around after the match, before heading out somewhere for the night.  This wasn't happening pre virus, and doesn't look to like happening for the foreseeable future.   

Great post, totally agree about the "Elderly expats" they just don't spend.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hackjam said:

Great post, totally agree about the "Elderly expats" they just don't spend.

Similar to retired people back home. The problem is bars and restaurants open, winging it really without an honest business plan, when they lose money they start blaming the customers, i used to see it in golf bars, blaming customers for not spending enough when it's their turd business model

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2020 at 10:41 PM, Leaver said:

Like I have said in the past, it's a race to the bottom here.

 

I believe they advertised for sale just as news of the virus was breaking, or very soon after, but would say the decision to sell was made well before full information and impact was know about the virus.  Retox also saw low numbers this past high season. 

 

I have came to Pattaya and elsewhere in Thailand during Christmas and New Year peak travel season year after year.   While I arrived at Pattaya on January 2, 2020,  it was very obvious New Year 2020 was a bad high season in Pattaya.   The number of tourists in Jan 2020 have dropped a lot in comparison to peak season in the past years.  Virus concern had not even entered the picture at that time.  

 

Having stayed in hotels on Soi 13 several times and dined for breakfast and dinner in the Sportmans Pub in close neighborhood few times,   I agreed with your assessment.     

Do not know about this Rotex Bar myself.   

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Chivas said:

You fella will be the reason that bar and clubs wont be open for the forseeable just pushing the boundaries.

Look at the cretins on the Treetown Youtube video now going viral. No social distancing and boozing

 

Absolutely brain dead the lot of em period

So you think Thai Police and Politicians sitting in their offices reading TVF will know what a beer bucket is?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...