Bars and pubs could open soon

kingofthemountain

9 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

From my point of view, the whole social distancing thing is nonsensical, when you have no new cases, and Covid appears to be completely gone from the land. Distancing from what exactly? The ghost of Covid? The imaginary Zombies? 

From 'dirty foreigners"

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

From my point of view, the whole social distancing thing is nonsensical, when you have no new cases, and Covid appears to be completely gone from the land. Distancing from what exactly? The ghost of Covid? The imaginary Zombies? 

It's now all about mass control

the ''new normal'' as they said

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Traubert said:

So on day 13 since this 'announcement' any progress?

Yeah, you can have a drink in the restaurants but the bars?

Oficially the bars are still closed.

Few bars with a restaurant licence try to open

but it's not going to last long if in fact their main activity is not to sell foods

https://thethaiger.com/news/pattaya/pattaya-officials-threaten-bars-masquerading-as-restaurants-with-closure-video 

Had a nice beer on the beach at new restaurant just past Mike's across from the raised part on the beach. She had just opened. Had food but was happy for people to just drink. No girls annoying for drinks so nice and peaceful. 

• Like 1

On June 16, 2020 at 1:36 AM, JensenZ said:

I can see a lot of beer bars in the Soi Buakhao/LK Metro area opening, and maybe some gogos that had deep pockets, but the high overhead bars on Walking Street won't open until a lot of international tourists return, and only if they've struck up a good deal (concessions) from their landlords. Their wasn't great business before covid struck, so the going will be tough.

If Pattaya City Hall wants to retain Walking Street as a tourist attraction, they should be injecting a lot of cash to help the struggling businesses.

Why would they throw good money into bad nvestments ?fact is there are about 50 percent too many bars and 50 percent fewer customers. And at least 50 percent, ( probably 75) unattractive gals in most bars.

cull the herd, it'll only make the good bars more profitable with more attractive woman. And the heffers can go back grazing on beach road.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 11:43 PM, NCC1701A said:

so does each girl have her own hand sanitizer? 

or just one time at the door? 

For a known ladykiller and filthy farang like you it will be nothing less than a full body condom or they won't let you in.

Roadrunner noted that Chequers Bar Sukhumvit Soi 4 was open the other night. Other than that it was pretty much dead, despite the lifting of curfew.

Edited by DaRoadrunner

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Many are on fixed incomes, and have been for years.  They have seen the cost of living here rise significantly, yet their pension remain the same. 

They have also seen their own currency weaken significantly, whilst the baht has strengthened. 

Yes the famous scissor effect

in the last 10 years, most of the prices for the

daily cost of life in Thailand has increased by 50 % and the exchange rate

from most on the western currencies against the baht has been a lost

around 50 others %, so it's a global loss of 100% of their puchasing power 

They are broke

At least most of the ones still here, the less wealthy have already 

been gone for a long time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Why would they throw good money into bad nvestments ?fact is there are about 50 percent too many bars and 50 percent fewer customers. And at least 50 percent, ( probably 75) unattractive gals in most bars.

cull the herd, it'll only make the good bars more profitable with more attractive woman. And the heffers can go back grazing on beach road.

To keep Walking Street as a local tourist attraction.

3 hours ago, Leaver said:
On 6/16/2020 at 12:36 PM, JensenZ said:

I can see a lot of beer bars in the Soi Buakhao/LK Metro area opening, and maybe some gogos that had deep pockets, but the high overhead bars on Walking Street won't open until a lot of international tourists return, and only if they've struck up a good deal (concessions) from their landlords. Their wasn't great business before covid struck, so the going will be tough.

If Pattaya City Hall wants to retain Walking Street as a tourist attraction, they should be injecting a lot of cash to help the struggling businesses.

I have no doubt the rent for Walking Street gogo's would be expensive, but what makes you think LK Metro gogo's do not have high overheads and high rents?

I posted this advertisement a while ago for a gogo for sale on LK Metro.  

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/gogo-lk-metro-394590

Take a look at the rent.  250k baht a month.  The ad is dated 8th May, so well into the pandemic, and the landlord still wants 250k baht per month. 

This ad even says the Japanese renter left and is not returning, so sounds like he walked away.

You don't get to have deep pockets by throwing good money after bad.

I specifically used the words "maybe" and "some" in relation to the possibility of gogo bars opening up in the LK Metro/Soi Buakhao area.

What landlords advertise as the rent is irrelevant. That can and will change according to supply and demand.

Whatever the rent payments will be in LK Metro are definitely a lot lower than Walking Street rents, in the past and in the future.

FYI, 300k is a typical rent payment for small shops in Central Mall. 250K rental is no surprise or shocking.

There will be incentive for some bar owners with deep pockets to reopen because the market will be less competitive for any that do manage to stay afloat. 

2 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I specifically used the words "maybe" and "some" in relation to the possibility of gogo bars opening up in the LK Metro/Soi Buakhao area.

What landlords advertise as the rent is irrelevant. That can and will change according to supply and demand.

Whatever the rent payments will be in LK Metro are definitely a lot lower than Walking Street rents, in the past and in the future.

FYI, 300k is a typical rent payment for small shops in Central Mall. 250K rental is no surprise or shocking.

There will be incentive for some bar owners with deep pockets to reopen because the market will be less competitive for any that do manage to stay afloat. 

You are presenting a detailed thesis on logical sound business practice.

Problem is Pattaya is a giant laundry cleaning dollars or any currency you want.

Logic doesn't apply.

Wouldn't surprise me to see the Central Avenue mall conversion into gogos/bars as soon as the coast is clear.

You can read into that what you want.

4 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Yes the famous scissor effect

in the last 10 years, most of the prices for the

daily cost of life in Thailand has increased by 50 % and the exchange rate

from most on the western currencies against the baht has been a lost

around 50 others %, so it's a global loss of 100% of their puchasing power 

They are broke

Taking the most important costs into consideration.

Rent: Mostly people are paying less rent than 10 years ago due to an oversupply in the market

Electricity: a very slight increase in unit charge

Internet: Much lower and faster

Exchange rate: USDTHB is in the same range it has been in since 2006. I've done better and done worse. Some currencies fared worse than others.

Cost of food has increased in line with inflation, but his is irrelevant as it has gone up in all expat home countries. There's no inflation free haven.  

I have been coming to Pattaya for around 20 years and for around 6 Months per year. Right now I can't do that and I am stuck in Australia. I am wondering how the landscape with bars and restaurants will look when I get back. I know most of won't be able to survive after all these lockdowns and I just don't know what to expect when I come back. I really hope some kind of normality returns, I just have a feeling that this time things will be different.

I have seen a lot of changes there over the years but this one is something unseen before. Half of my expat mates have left but some of the good ol boys are still there and I look forward to catching up with them. I got a feeling we are going to be looking for new bars and restaurants to enjoy. Sad part about it all this is Qantas has just announced it's cancelled almost all overseas flights until Oct 24th. Terrible tragedy this COVID-19 pandemic. Might miss out on trip this year altogether. You people still living there are lucky you stayed put, good luck to you all.

Link to Qantas announcement: https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/qantas-cancels-almost-all-overseas-flights-through-to-late-october

Edited by bmanly
Added Link
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Leaver said:

Who can blame them?

Many are on fixed incomes, and have been for years.  They have seen the cost of living here rise significantly, yet their pension remain the same. 

They have also seen their own currency weaken significantly, whilst the baht has strengthened. 

Also, they are now several years older, and just can't party like they used to.

Age and affordability has caught up with them in Thailand, and I say this with no offense intended. 

I am sure many would like to be able to afford to eat out every night, and have a few beers, like they used to, but many can no longer afford to do so.

Anyone on a fixed income would be in trouble no matter where they lived because obviously their income will depreciate by the cost of inflation. Did they come to Thailand thinking that the cost of living will remain the same, forever?

6 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

They are broke

The expats i know are not broke and are still here, we talk about the exchange rate etc but carry on as usual, not everyone retired on the minimum needed

17 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And is your perspective that of an expert or that of a layman? Would it not be a chicken and egg situation to say, well no internal infections, quit all the distancing, hand washing and mask wearing etc... in fact let us have a boxing stadium meet where, like some months ago, many hundreds of infections originated. Then we have to start again.....One thing I do fear is that I see Thailand's population likely has very very few people with the Covid antibodies, (unlke the 5% estimated in NYC), and covid, if introduced again, would spread fast, if the population were not taking precautions. Nobody thought it might happen in New Zealand, but the infection 'got out'.....

Edited by jacko45k

On 6/16/2020 at 2:48 PM, Oldie said:

This Tree Town area at Soi Buakhao has been very busy for weeks (not only yesterday) with little or no care about any restrictions. It seems to be a very special zone here in Pattaya in the middle of Central Pattaya - so not at a remote location. 

When the beach closed during the start of this pandemic all the freelancers migrated to Tree Town and it seems to have become a lot more popular since.

4 minutes ago, maechanman said:

When the beach closed during the start of this pandemic all the freelancers migrated to Tree Town and it seems to have become a lot more popular since.

Yes it's a good new home for them, police may turn a blind eye too as it gets them off the beach. Maybe not good news for the bars though as people will just pick-up a freelancer rather than pay a bar fine

Edited by scubascuba3

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes it's a good new home for them, police may turn a blind eye too as it gets them off the beach. Maybe not good news for the bars though as people will just pick-up a freelancer rather than pay a bar fine

I guess the bars are still closed? Their presence may not last when they reopen.

Edited by jacko45k

9 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Erm ... well reported that they have not.

obviously now they will stop the drinking and crowds around treetown but after Corona i bet 10 baht they will let the freelancers stay there

Edited by scubascuba3